Author Topic: Customer Compliance home visit  (Read 9550 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Customer Compliance home visit
« on: 09 Jan 2016 02:27PM »
Got a letter this morning informing me that a Customer Compliance Officer is scheduled to visit me at home. Is this just something routine, or has someone been making malicious allegations?  >crying<

What can I expect from the visit? Any help or advice gratefully recieved.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Customer Compliance home visit
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2016 03:03PM »
From what I've read elsewhere, it could be either.

But even if it's something malicious, it may be a complete misunderstanding.

People get investigated for all sorts of things that can be easily resolved.  I've had people nose round a couple of times and happily go away again.

E.g. - you're claiming as a single person and they've had a tip-off that you're married.  They come and look round, poke their nose in the cupboards and drawers and satisfy themselves that there's no sign of two people living there and go away again.

E.g. - you're claiming because you've got a relapsing-remitting condition and the neighbour concerned only sees you when you're in remission.  The investigator turns up, sees all your adaptive stuff such as perching stools and you show them letters/reports/appointment slips for various health professionals at the relevant clinics, and they go away again.

E.g. - you're claiming because you have sensory impairments and someone thinks you're faking your blindness because you can see a bit.  They read the copy you've got of your certificate of severe sight impairment and council registration, stroke your lovely guide dog, and go away again.

E.g. - you're helping someone else with their money and it's accidentally shown up on records somewhere as your money, affecting your entitlement to means-tested benefit.  They turn up and you show them the paperwork showing whose money it actually is and they go away again.

So don't worry too much.

However, if you are worried, calm yourself a bit by making sure you know where you've put the relevant evidence.

(empty space deleted)
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2016 07:29PM by Sunny Clouds »
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jan 2016 03:05PM »
It's entirely normal. I've known a couple of people have them and they've not had any problems with it, bar the anxiety it inevitably brings them. Their officer just said they randomly check people to see they're getting what they're entitled to. If there were any allegations it's more likely that you would be called into an interview, I know someone who's been through that process too.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jan 2016 03:24PM »
Thanks Sunny and Fiz. >hugs<

When on IS, I had the odd home visit due to sharing accommodation, and although unpleasant, it wasn't a disaster.  >x-fingers< that it will be something easily cleared up.

Best get my paperwork together.

>bighugs<

>Editing to add: The wording of the letter suggests that it's not a neighbour thinking I'm faking my impairments/illness, which is something, I suppose.

"We need to see you in order to clarify some information about your claim to benefit. The purpose of this visit is not to discuss any issues relating to your medical condition."

« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2016 04:09PM by NeuralgicNeurotic »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jan 2016 04:14PM »
 >bighugs<

Remember the person doing the home visit will be doing these all the time and it will be immediately obvious to them that you are genuine. That may sound like wishful thinking on my part, I am basing it on what you post here as in if you had won the lottery, got a new partner, had a miracle cure you would have let us know the fantastic news.

If you are having a rough day when the person visits maybe ask them to make you a cuppa as they make one for themself.  >angel<

>bighugs<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jan 2016 04:22PM »
It won't be a problem.  Just leave a range of Primark bags on the chairs so that when they go to move one to sit down, you can get into a debate about the pronunciation and then they'll realise you really are neurotic and reinstate your benefits.

>whistle<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Monic1511

« Reply #6 on: 09 Jan 2016 05:31PM »
From the wording on the letter they want to check your getting all the correct premiums, I.e. You live alone and no one claims careers so are due SDP as long as savings are beneath the capital limits.
Try not to stress as you've done nothing wrong.
Monic

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jan 2016 07:41PM »
Thanks everyone. >bighugs<

The visit turns out to be a blessing in disguise. I've just been assembling my bank and post office statements and have discovered that I've exceeded the £6,000 savings limit for income-related ESA!! >yikes<

I intend to contact the Department for Social Development first thing on Monday morning to declare this, and start the ball rolling on repayment. In the meanwhile I'm going to ask for some help in combing back through the statements to see how long the over-run has been going on for. I get  muddled with figures at the best of times. Blind panic isn't really going to help that.

Is there anything else I need to do in the meanwhile? Aside from try to put images of stocks and manacles and angry mobs out of my mind.

Thank feck I've disovered this before it got any worse, but must admit to being absolutely petrified now.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jan 2016 08:25PM »
Surely there is some home repair that you have to get done asap?

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jan 2016 08:58PM »
There are things that need doing - installation of non slip flooring, for example, and redecoration after all the moving of radiators and doors needed to accommodate my new life on wheels and crutches. 

My instinct, though, is to admit to the mistake and repay whatever I owe. Even though the experience won't be at all pleasant.

Monic1511

« Reply #10 on: 09 Jan 2016 09:09PM »
Ok stop panicking as the overpayment is £1.00 for every £250 over the £6k, so get the bank statements out, work out when you went over £6k and by how much,  if it's been 3 months then that's 12 weeks roughly £12.
Then you get quotes for the flooring and redecorating.  If it's shown to the dwp worker that you have quotes for the work and just explain that you forgot they are likely to be understanding, they might be envious as they often rely on tax credits to top up their wages and can only dream of that level of savings. 
Good luck
Monic

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jan 2016 10:47PM »
Monic and Auntie, thank you >bighugs< >bighugs<

I'll need to get some copy statements from the bank, as there are a couple of gaps here and there.

Thank goodness for paperwork to occupy the mind.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2016 11:37AM »
Wotcha NN - I know there have to be limits on savings and all that, but on the other hand if the savings are purely benefit that hasn't been used yet, I don't see why a person should be penalised just because they've been sensibly managing their money/been too unwell to spend it on what they need at the moment!!  A tip for the future to stop your bank accounts drifting over the means-tested limits - get into a habit of drawing cash out regularly to keep it below the mark... It is your benefit built up gradually which you will be using eventually, after all - as opposed to having an inheritance or something suddenly dumped in your account!

Wishing you all the best for the home visit as well - I always thought it was a bit mean of the DWP to give this particular area of their work the scary title of 'customer compliance'
  >erm<

>edited to add
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2016 11:40AM by KizzyKazaer »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2016 06:41PM »
I'd have been tempted to book a lovely holiday somewhere!

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2016 08:35PM »
Just when I thought things couldn't get any more stressful, the news came that Mum is having her dye test on Monday.  >crying<