Author Topic: Benefit situation (long sorry)  (Read 13695 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Benefit situation (long sorry)
« Reply #45 on: 02 Sep 2014 01:01PM »
Can I do that? Surely an 18 month old form will be rejected???

As long as your health circumstances eg conditions and symptoms have not improved I think sending the old information in is better than sending something else in late.

I will probably be reassessed next Spring and will use the information on my old ESA 50 to fill in the new ESA 50 while at the same time explain how my symptoms have got worse and I can do less.

It can be very hard not to worry about what might happen eg will you be asked to a medical assessment, then get bogged down in the stories you have heard about eg people managing steps into the building etc. However you do already have a big plus point on you side which is that you have already been assessed as to sick to work.

I cant help thinking that the advisors at places like Citizen's Advice are having to triage and allocate time to the people they think are most in in need. I am not saying they should or should not have helped.

Becca7

« Reply #46 on: 02 Sep 2014 01:10PM »
I know I can't get in for a medical already because I was called before and lost my money because I couldn't get into the building. This is a very very common ploy in this area.

The form has changed a lot in 18 months which is the other reason I am asking about photocopying and and sending the old form and old information.

Things have changed a lot in that time.

Becca7

« Reply #47 on: 02 Sep 2014 03:52PM »
Rant ahead!!!

I'm so annoyed about this. If I only had mental health problems or only had physical health problems they could help me. What's annoying me is that there are 3 organisations that will provide support workers for those with mental health problems in my county and 2 for people with physical health problems and those organisations will also accompany someone to a medical.

Where exactly are people, like me, disabled by both supposed to go?

Apparently that funding has been stopped  >angry<

And, this person is refusing to fill in the part about helping me with the form as it's strictly against CAB rules now (I've no idea why that is) so they have to help due to problems with typing which will be on the form  but it will look like I did my own form so I will look like a liar.

I've got my gp on my back about going into hospital for an operation as well but there's no way I can risk that without the ESA50 having been done so I'm risking being sectioned.

Becca7

« Reply #48 on: 02 Sep 2014 04:20PM »
Okay, the form online is much newer than the one they sent me.

I'm more than a bit confused about this as they are different forms.

Monic1511

« Reply #49 on: 02 Sep 2014 09:46PM »
Hi Becca
I'm sorry you've been mucked about by this person,  the only thing you can do is wait now & see what ESA come up with,
re this "this person is refusing to fill in the part about helping me with the form as it's strictly against CAB rules now "   the reason my organisation doesn't put our details on the form is because the DWP would then say "the form was completed by the advisor from the council so if its wrong or we make a wrong decision its the councils fault." other than that the DWP then phone the person who did the form & I'm left scrambling around trying to recall a person I saw 4 months ago for 45 minutes and all the DWP tell you is their NINO & Name. >yikes<  I don't want to give wrong info but the dwp treat you as the font of all knowledge about that person.

At the medical it comes up occasionally & its is listed in the papers saying claimant completed own form & I look at the writing and can recognise a colleagues writing, so when doing the appeal / mandatory recon I put down that claimant did not complete own form but relied on advisor to write info for them.

Sorry Becca thats the only reassurance I can give you
Monic

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #50 on: 03 Sep 2014 02:56AM »
I am a bit lost about the deadline by which you were supposed to send your latest completed ESA50 to the DWP but I'm assuming it is either very soon or just overdue.  I'm also not sure if I have understood correctly because I am assuming that you are still due to submit your latest completed ESA50.

I know that you have talked about the fact that you have various problems with completing the form and getting help but submitting something to preserve the claim will always be better than submitting nothing.  The ESA 50 forms have changed a bit at least every year as they have been reworked or criteria have changed.  As a summary of the key issues, it seems that you have a lot of complex information to supply, there are various different versions of the forms between the one you last submitted and the one you think you are now supposed to complete, you can't write or type it up yourself plus you are up against a deadline.

As a solution to avoid you completely losing out, you need to submit something even if it isn't perfect or complete.  The easiest practical option just to get something in to the DWP might be for you to get a photocopy of the last ESA50 that you submitted along with copies of all the additional paperwork (if any) that you sent with that form.  Fill in the basic personal details on the newest version of the ESA50 that you have and sign it at the end.  Then, in whatever reasonably appropriate section of the form you can find, handwrite or type (whichever is easiest) the form by saying that certain aspects of your condition have deteriorated since your last application, that you are physically unable to complete the form yourself because you can't handwrite or type the contents due to whichever medical condition it is that stops you, you have been unable to obtain the necessary assistance from anyone else or any local advice organisation to help you to complete the form.  Consequently, you are doing the best you can by submitting a copy of your last ESA application, in respect of which all of information still applies (I assume that it does?) and that you are working hard to try and (a) get help from to provide further information about all of the aspects of your health and function which have deteriorated so that you can fully describe your current health situation along with detailing what you are and are not able to do;and (b) get help to provide better, more detailed answers to those questions on the latest version of the ESA50 where the questions have changed from the previous version.

You need to get something in so that you can buy yourself time to work on dealing with describing the changes to your medical conditions so that your claim properly reflects your current situation plus reworking any answers to questions that have changed from one version of the form to another. 

Unfortunately, nothing we can suggest can fix the ESA application process with its deadlines or will change the available support locally to help you with the application.  The key thing is that if you want to keep receiving ESA then you have to somehow submit the form with all of the necessary information about all details of your situation - which, of course, you don't need to share here online.  Even if its not ideal, getting something in now, however rough, while you explain that you are trying to work on the updates is always going to be better than nothing.

Becca7

« Reply #51 on: 03 Sep 2014 02:09PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Monic, I've spoken to someone else about this today apparently the problem is that some time ago someone was investigated for fraud having only described their worst day on the form and had been advised by the CAB advisor to do this, it resulted in a lot of bad press for CAB for telling someone to do that so now they refuse to put information on the form about helping people complete.

But that then led to a severe drop in funding for CAB locally as there is no evidence of them helping people to claim benefits, which is why it is now a very severely restricted service, as in one or two hours a week maximum, and is why the money has been given to the charities I mentioned instead of CAB.

I hope you understand I wasn't being rude about CAB or dismissing the service or anything like that and didn't take what I said personally, it wasn't an attack against CAB.

Neurochick,

The problem is I cannot get into the medical centre, hence trying to get as much complete information as I can. If it isn't accepted I don't have the option of a medical and my money will stop, that's why I'm asking about old forms/incomplete information. The appeals are held very far away and take a huge amount of time. I have no family or means to survive with less money and can't get help with an appeal (help is available but it is a paid for service now).

My condition has deteriorated but I do not have any doctors anymore due to cuts in nhs service likewise all the others who were listed on my old form. I have no one apart from gp to support. So whilst things have got worse I have far less support. At last application I had two pages of medics supporting me and a social services support worker who has since lost her funding.

I know no one here can help, I'm just venting about my situation.

Becca.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #52 on: 03 Sep 2014 05:57PM »
I know no one here can help, I'm just venting about my situation.

I thought the advice on the thread in general and also the recent posts by Monic and Neurohick were helpful and reassuring but each to their own opinion.

I remember you saying you are in the ESA Support Group which means the advice the CAB advisor gave you about resending the information on your old form makes sense. In reading your old ESA50 she was helping you and simplifying the process. As long as you symptoms have not improved putting the old information together with mentioning a worsening of physical ? and mental ? health should get the Support Group reissued.

You are getting far too wrapped up in catastrophising about things you might well not have to do. There are a number of people on Ouch Too who had the renewal for ESA all done on paper some went from WRAG to the Support Group and others stayed in the Support Group.

I have noticed you are able to type words more words, maintain grammar and make your descriptions and explanations clear. It also sounds like you can now access the online version of the form and so can fill it in yourself. Filling in the form yourself wont make you look bad or have people saying you were untruthful before. Far from it we will see it as brave, being kind to yourself and allowing hope in.

And, this person is refusing to fill in the part about helping me with the form as it's strictly against CAB rules now (I've no idea why that is) so they have to help due to problems with typing which will be on the form  but it will look like I did my own form so I will look like a liar.

Do you think being able to have the form say some one else filled it in for you will make it more valid and more likely to be successful?
Saying that here is fine because we know where you are coming from but be careful about getting locked into that belief or mentioning it to people paid to help you other than your GP.

Monic1511

« Reply #53 on: 03 Sep 2014 07:39PM »
Becca
re "I hope you understand I wasn't being rude about CAB or dismissing the service or anything like that and didn't take what I said personally, it wasn't an attack against CAB."  I didn't take it that way at all and anyway I don't work for CAB, if anyone is being rude about CAB it tends to be my workmates cos the local branch can be useless when it comes to benefits.   >lol<  When I worked on reception I'd often get told "I've been phoning you for days & you never answer your phone!  I'd ask which number they called & was given the local CAB number, and I'd say thats not us thats cab & they never answer their phone"   Any advice agencies tends to get called cab & even when folk are sitting in the front office they will say "I'm in the citizens advice if they answer their mobile"  they get corrected when they come off the phone. :-)

In my area we have to fight for funding & continually convince the councillors that since it costs the council residents £0.79 each week(or something like that)_ to provide our team of 40 professionally trained people the council funds are well spent, rather than a block grant to CAB, they do still get some council funds but are limited to 1 office in the whole area, where we have every council building to use.   anyway I digress >doh< ;-)

Please try & stop stressing - ESA are not keen to kick existing claimants off ESA & are trying to cut down on the number of medicals so Sunshine is right you might just stay where you are for another 3 years.
best wishes
Monic

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #54 on: 03 Sep 2014 07:45PM »
About doing your own forms...

I completed my 2007 DLA renewal totally by myself and didn't even send anything with it, giving them my GP's address if they wanted to write to her.  I just told my truth and at times in quite emotive language as well (I don't mean swearing, but I used quite a few exclamation marks in places, repeating frequently as I remember 'There is no-one to help me!!!'  Obviously they didn't infer - from either that sentence or my ability to fill in the form unaided - that I had less care needs than someone who had regular helpers to hand plus their form done for them, because I was awarded higher rate care.  Indefinitely.  I would never, never have expected that and even thought they had made an error at first (yes, I phoned to check  >blush< )

Anyway, thought I'd just throw that into the mix if it helps you stop tying yourself up in impossible knots over the whole tedious ESA business.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #55 on: 03 Sep 2014 08:28PM »
Not intending to jump in here to speak for Becca, but I know the problem in the past has been that she's physically unable to hand write, and uses dictation software to type on a tablet. But it wasn't possible to get the dictation software to work with Adobe and the form, and the library computer isn't accessible/available. So it isn't that she's unwilling to complete the form herself, it's that she can't do it, using the technology that she has available to her. That situation might have changed though - I'm just back online after a month without internet access.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: 03 Sep 2014 08:44PM »
DG,

Good to see you back and posting  >thumbsup<

Do you happen to know which dictation software Becca uses?

They may well be a simple solution to get the text speak into the form, eg 'writing' in Notepad then copy and pasting into the form.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #57 on: 03 Sep 2014 08:50PM »
Thanks. I moved house and it took BT a month and 4 engineer visits to get the phone up and running - a squirrel had eaten the line!

I think it's Dragon, but not sure.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #58 on: 03 Sep 2014 09:11PM »
Glad you finally managed to get back to us DG!

Becca7

« Reply #59 on: 03 Sep 2014 11:48PM »
Post deleted by me.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2014 12:26AM by Becca7 »