Author Topic: ESA and studying  (Read 18224 times)

Jockice

• Charter Member
Re: ESA and studying
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2013 12:13PM »
Ta Deb. I'll look into that. I feel really bad about the whole thing because my university department have bent over backwards for me (and I would quite like to be Dr Quinn, despite the inevitable and predictable 'medicine woman' jibes I've had to regularly listen to since I started the thing) but I've basically got the biggest mental block of my life. And that's combined with my continuing physical deterioration with the pair of them feeding off each other. Great.

It's really weird though, it's like bringing up every single bit of 'I can't do this' I've felt in my entire life in one fell swoop. And that's quite a lot.

PS, postponed my supervisor meeting yet again this morning. It's okay, he's used to it. I think he'd be more surprised if I actually turned up. Anyway, back to my books. Probably.

devine63

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2013 06:11PM »
hmmm ... now you've got me wondering if there is any decent research int writer's block ....
regards, Deb

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2013 07:38AM »
I started doing some but never got round to finishing it.

joeyd123

« Reply #18 on: 04 Jul 2014 12:09PM »
im in the support group and have been claiming esa for over a year and DLA now. I have bi polar but have been doing work for the last year (less than 16hours a week). I am in the support group which allows me to go on doing this indefinitely... I am looking to study part time a postgraduate course. Am i right in thinking i wont have my benefits taken off me? Should i let DWP know or not?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: 04 Jul 2014 12:56PM »
It depends. You remain entitled to ESA despite being a student if you are in receipt of DLA, same with HB but if you are entitled to any student finance including loans/bursaries even if you choose not to claim them they take that income into account when assessing your claim. My dd receives DLA and although has that underlying entitlement to ESA doesn't receive any ESA or HB because of her loans and bursaries. So the answer will depend on whether or not you are entitled to other finance while studying really, worth looking into.

Monic1511

« Reply #20 on: 04 Jul 2014 08:33PM »
im in the support group and have been claiming esa for over a year and DLA now. I have bi polar but have been doing work for the last year (less than 16hours a week). I am in the support group which allows me to go on doing this indefinitely... I am looking to study part time a postgraduate course. Am i right in thinking i wont have my benefits taken off me? Should i let DWP know or not?
Joey - you said " am in the support group which allows me to go on doing this indefinitely"   Ehh not really - your only in the support group for a max of 3 years and your award can be reviewed at any time.  By doing permitted work and being in the support group you are showing the DWP that you can cope with some work, they might take this as a signal you shouldn't be in the support group but should be in the work related activity group.   If you can also cope with part time study on top of 16 hours work then you might lose ESA all together.  Yes you must tell DWP of any changes but I would really be hesitatant about taking on studies on top of work, especially as your in the support group.
just my experience as I have had cases where person in support group went to WCA then got 0 points and lost case at tribunal so its not a clear cut situation
Monic

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: 05 Jul 2014 01:53PM »
Joey,

Welcome to Ouch Too.

What Monic posted is correct and so while there are rules which allow disabled people to study whilst they are claiming ESA Support Group studying itself can be used as evidence of the ability to do work related activity and so get put in the Work Related Activity Group. People with mental health issues can find it more difficult to prove they need to be in the Support Group if the regularly work or study especially if they dont have significant reasonable adjustments made by their employer or the college they go to. In my opinion you need to weigh up why you want to to the postgraduate course and whether it is about increasing your options for paid employment or about doing it it for the achievement of knowledge.

People in the Support Group can do less than 16 hours work a week and continue to get ESA indefinitely (in WRAG it is limited to a year), but staying in the Support Group when reassessment comes around is not guaranteed.

All that said we would never say dont work, study or both just upfront be aware of the potential changes it may bring about.

The amount of ESA you continue to get while studying will depend on whether you are receiving Contributions based ESA or Income based ESA. Do you know which ESA you are receiving?
To get Income Based ESA you do need to be receiving DLA or PIP which you are.
Are you going to receive any income by way of grants, bursaries or training allowances?