Author Topic: From BBC on attitudes to benefit claimants. Edited for typo  (Read 1524 times)

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2012 07:27PM by Mabelcat »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: From BBC on attitudes to benefit claiments.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2012 07:25PM »
They forgot to mention how far they, themselves, have boosted the concept of benefits scroungers from quoting govenment propaganda without checking the incorrect facts through to broadcasting Saints and Scroungers. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: From BBC on attitudes to benefit claiments.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2012 07:27PM »
I tried to post a link in "news/ current affairs to this; not sure if it worked though. :(

JLRRAC

"To build a social security system that once again works for working people. To turn "short-changed Britain" back into "something for something Britain"."  Liam Byrne MP (Labour).

That once again works for working people, uh huh Mr Byrne, and what about those 'Unable to work through disability' is there to be no social security for them?  are they beneath your line in the sand for those deserving of benefits?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
It's reading those two statements together that makes me think that whichever party we vote for in England, they aren't interested in helping disabled people except in limited circumstances.  Like soldiers who get legs blown off, but not the ones with PTSD who turn to drink, can't hold down a job and sleep rough.  The former are 'deserving', the latter are 'undeserving'.

Best not to be born with an impairment that stops you ever working because you can't play the 'I worked for 30 years and paid my taxes' card.

I don't know whether to be angry or upset about reading that stuff.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLRRAC

Now I understand better why they don't want folk to share the constitutional right American citizens enjoy, the 'right to bare Arms'  were such a thing available I fear we'd have a lot of very dead politicians.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
In the Nazi era, from quite early on, schoolbooks and films emphasised the physical characteristics of Jews, especially dark hair and a prominent nose with a bump in it.  You don't just have to have scapegoats, you have to have easy-to-identify scapegoats.  When they found people couldn't find all the Jews to attack that way, they got Jews to wear yellow stars.  It was easier to identify disabled people - they were mostly in institutions.

So disabled people make nice scapegoats because they're easy to identify.  And if they don't have a yellow badge or a wheelchair etc., draw attention to their closed curtains.  Never mind if a few shift-workers are targetted.  Just make sure people know whom to blame for other people's suffering, and not big and powerful and rich people.

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
Thanks for postin that..ive sent them a reply but doubt itll make a difference.
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

devine63

Hi

there are some points missing from that article ...   there is no mention of how many elderly, sick and disabled people died every year because of poverty before the invention of the welfare state.  There's no mention of the number of people (mostly from the working class and from among the sick and disabled) who died from curable / treatable diseases before the creation of the National Health Service...   I could go on...
regards, Deb