Author Topic: Tories target pensioner benefits for means-testing  (Read 7647 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Tories target pensioner benefits for means-testing
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jul 2012 05:54PM »
That's how it used to work here with 'water rates', Monic - they were aligned to the general property rating system that was in force for years before replaced first with the failed 'poll tax' (Community Charge) and then of course Council Tax.  When property rates ceased, so did the water element.  That was - blimey, back in the late 80s/early 90s?  I think it's a much fairer system to pay for the water you actually use - you do so with electricity and gas, why should water be any different?  I feel for your people getting those high bills...

Means testing has been shown to deter claims so thats the governments ulterior motive (IMO) >whistle<

Spot-on - bunch of < insert rude word(s) of your choice >

Of course, the newspapers will never be flooded with stories of how much benefit goes unclaimed....

Sofie

« Reply #31 on: 11 Jul 2012 05:55PM »

Problem with means testing all benefits is that the thresholds are very low
£71.00 single person, £111.45 couple or £142.70 single pensioner or £217.90 couple over pension age.   I know that there are premiums on top of that but the horror displayed by people in their 50's just made redundant & being told they need £111.45.week is very real and they are quickly terrified about how they will cope.

Agreed. My dad had his appendix out earlier this year and had to have 3 weeks post-surgery off work and claimed sick pay. (which I think is around £80 a week) To go from £240-odd per week to £80 is a huge drop. We just managed.

Monic1511

• Access All Areas
« Reply #32 on: 11 Jul 2012 08:01PM »
Kizzy In Scotland the water company is still nationalised so when Maggie sold the water board to all the new companies the Scottish office said it wasn't possible in Scotland so we still have nationalised water, It means when you are house hunting you check the council tax band before putting down a deposit.   new builds are generally a E,F,G,H band,  council houses tend to be A or B, "well off" areas where houses have 3 or more bedrooms tend to be C or D.  Its just another thing you have to consider when looking for a house in Scotland.

Sophie - the problem with sick pay £85.85 is that your also expected to claim housing & council tax benefits but they forget the reason your getting sick pay is that your not well so how are you meant to deal with all the extra forms and palaver that goes with claiming these  >steam<

Hope your dad is feeling better
Monic

Sofie

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jul 2012 08:04PM »
He's better thanks, Monic.

Prabhakari

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jul 2012 10:11PM »
I feel certain that we will see many stories of hardship, after P.I.P. is fully introduced.
In my case, being able to read my hands, it is clear that I am going to get less money to live on.
It is why I am investing in the things I know I need, while I still have the money to pay for them.

I am worried that I will start to see posts in here, before long, from disabled people who are really struggling to pay the cost of being alive in this country.

With metta, Prabhakari.  >rainbow2<
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2012 10:48PM by Prabhakari »
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Sofie

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jul 2012 10:27PM »
Agreed, Prab. It's difficult enough for me with the lower rates now.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: 12 Jul 2012 08:01PM »
I think here in the south of England we are all having Water Meters.  It makes sense, you pay for what you use.  I already have a water meter.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jul 2012 12:39PM »
We switched to a meter a few months ago and were very happy with our first bill  :-) . In our area, meters are being installed routinely when a property is sold.