Author Topic: Just received an ESA50...  (Read 2648 times)

Sofie

Just received an ESA50...
« on: 12 Jul 2012 06:43PM »
Signed off sick on July 2nd and closed JSA claim on same day. Because sick note runs from July 2nd, I received JSA up to the 1st and ESA from the 6th. (something about waiting days)

So, I've had an ESA claim for the last 10 days.

I have just received an ESA50. That seems odd. I thought we weren't meant to be assessed until week 14 (or 13) ? And more to the point, why am I getting one now, yet know at least one person who has been waiting since September? I don't think his situation is that unusual.

I am now unsure what to do:
In theory, I can get into the support group on basis of sight alone. I want to work and need to work. I am bored of not working. I volunteer for a few hours a week; but need to do more.

Just what do I do? I will make a GP appointment to see what they say.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Just received an ESA50...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2012 06:59PM »
Sofie,

I don't know when you last got Incapacity Benefit or if you have ever received ESA but could the reason you got your ESA 50 so quickly be linking rules?

Just what do I do? I will make a GP appointment to see what they say.

It depends on what your GP is like, because some don't like to limit the advice they give about ESA because they want to have a simple doctor patient relationship with their patients. I am not sure how much training they get about benefits and ESA.

I am now unsure what to do:

In my case I claimed ESA and waited to find out which group I would be in then I thought more about what I should or could be doing. If you get put in WRAG you might be able to volunteer to do something you actually like and have that as your work related activity.

brumjane

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2012 07:02PM »
Hi, have the rules changed now so that people with sight issues get into the Support Group.  I thought sight alone wasn't enough but I know it was being fiercly challenged, so maybe things have changed.  Does anyone know for sure.

Sofie

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2012 07:03PM »
Thanks for your reply, Sunshine. I've never claim incapacity benefit / income support. I've claimed JSA since December 2010 and my claim was closed on Monday due to the sick note.

I will speak to my GP. Whilst I could work, there are very few jobs (even without the recession) that I could realistically do.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2012 07:11PM »
have the rules changed now so that people with sight issues get into the Support Group.

Hi Brumjane - unfortunately, it's not as straightforward as that for *any* condition any more.  See this thread for the Support Group criteria:

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=2155.0

(Note also the exemptions and exceptional conditions described in posts #4 and #5.)
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2012 07:12PM by KizzyKazaer »

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2012 07:22PM »
I have just received an ESA50. That seems odd. I thought we weren't meant to be assessed until week 14 (or 13) ?

Sofie - the ESA50 is itself actually part of the assessment phase, so the process is starting as it should.  From the DWP's own 'stakeholder information' document:  (highlighting is mine)

ESA is divided into two phases, an assessment phase and a main phase. This is because the process of deciding whether a claimant has limited capability for work takes approximately three months.

Assessment phase

When a claimant is first awarded ESA, they receive a basic rate of benefit while their capability for work is assessed. This is the same rate as JSA. During this assessment phase, claimants do not have to take part in work-related activity.
While they are in the assessment phase, claimants are required to provide up-to-date medical evidence known as the ‘Statement of fitness for work’ (Fit note) showing that they have limited capability for work for any claim longer than seven days. For the first seven days claimants can self-certify.

During the assessment phase claimants fill out a self-assessment questionnaire called the ESA50, and may go to a face-to-face assessment carried out by a trained healthcare professional.

Monic1511

• Access All Areas
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2012 07:23PM »
Sophie
Complete the ESA50 and if you get into the support group then you can still volunteer and if you feel able work.  All being in the support group means is that you won't have to attend the work related activity sessions run by companies such as Inegius.   Its not that you won't work again, apart from that even those in the support group get an ESA50 every so often and can be reassessed into the WRAG.

I think I posted an article from the Herald about a woman Charlotte Bennie who was blind and had been put in the WRAG, it took her a year to get into the support group - the article is titled Diary of a fight for justice 08.06.12.

Good luck with the forms anyway
Monic

Fizzbw

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2012 08:05PM »
Surely the biggest difference between getting in the support group and the WRAG is that contributions based ESA only lasts 1year in the WRAG. Then you have to hope that you qualifty for income lated ESA. This was a big issue for me.

Fizzbw x

Monic1511

• Access All Areas
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2012 10:07PM »
Hi Fizzbw
Yes your right the continued entitlement to contribution based ESA is part of it & the extra £20 you get in the support group.  Income related issues come in when you have a partner or another source of income (e.g. occupational pension)  I have met people in the WRAG on Income related ESA who are so stressed by the process that their health deteriorated  :-( but they didn't qualify for the support group (or haven't yet as far as I know)
Monic

Sofie

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2012 10:10PM »
That's what worries me - that this whole process is just going to make me worse.

Monic1511

• Access All Areas
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2012 10:16PM »
Sofie  >hugs<
Before you worry about being placed in the WRAG please jut concentrate on getting the forms filled in - I know its difficult but I have to live for today - if I worry about tomorrow I won't be able to function, I try not to start on what I call the "what If's"  I know I'll spiral out of control if I dwell on these.   I know some can't but please see if you can  >hugs<  sorry if thats patronising I don't mean to be I just had to learn to deal with now
best wishes
Monic

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2012 09:43AM »
It's not patronising at all, Monic - trying to stay in the present moment rather than the future or the past is key to better mental health for anybody.. 

Sofie

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2012 09:53AM »
Thank you Monic :-)