Author Topic: Obesity facts  (Read 10785 times)

boccius

• Diamond member
Re: Obesity facts
« Reply #45 on: 06 May 2012 06:04PM »
Especially as those 5 years would be at the end of my life, when I was already old and frail, it's not as if they would miraculously give me 5 more years of youth and vigour!

That, hurty, is one of those Life-changing Insights. They never tell you that, do they, that the extra years are when you're 70 and already going downhill! Brilliant.

A.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: 06 May 2012 06:41PM »
Hurty and Boccius - your latest posts made me recall with amusement something said by someone or other which I've seen as a response to the 'health police' exhorting us to give up this, stop doing that:

"You won't live forever - but it will damn well feel like it"  >lol<

More obesity-related news I just heard on the telly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17970169

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: 08 May 2012 10:06AM »
Well I'm overweight and I smoke my doctor has informed me that this is a particularly bad combination and does significantly increase the likely hood of a heart attack.

So I have decided to do something about it.

I'm giving up food.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #48 on: 08 May 2012 01:41PM »
You've picked the hard one, IronicJ.

I gave up the fags 25 years ago, stopped drinking 10 years back, but have been fat and a bit less fat a dozen times in the past 40 years (i.e. never slim).

Fags and booze are relatively easy. Unlike food, which you MUST do every day (in some form or another) just to live. Viz, you can avoid situations where smoking or drinking come to the fore, but there's no way you can avoid EATING situations (unless you're commiting suicide in a very strange manner).

I hope that whatever you choose, it doesn't shorten your life too much, or make you miserable.

Allen.

Sofie

« Reply #49 on: 08 May 2012 01:58PM »
I have friends who are ex-smokers. Many of them now eat too much (their words) food instead.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: 08 May 2012 03:39PM »
boccius you are probably right it's just such a difficult choice to make. I can see I'm going to have to rethink my strategy give up cigarettes or die.

Please don't rush me I'm thinking about it.

Damn life is full of hard choices but I suppose I'm going to have to go with the food and chuck the cigs.

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #51 on: 08 May 2012 05:10PM »
Don't rush into it, Ironic.

I was always prone to the tubby, and finally giving up cigarettes shifted me from 13-14 stone up to 17 stone+, which I've had no end of trouble trying to shift since. Plus diabetes Type II ensued, partially because of the excess weight, etc., etc., which in part led to the right eye going pop (see photo), and so on.

Smoking + fat = bad news, sure, but it ain't that simple! And how miserable would you be without the fags? Plus, without being too morbid, you are going to die anyway, I'm afraid, so it all comes down to odds and touching wood... (Do NOT relay this answer to a doctor, as they'll come looking for me).

A.

Fizzbw

« Reply #52 on: 08 May 2012 07:42PM »
The other thing to best in mind is that chronic pain changes the brains pathways and craving sugar can be one of those!! It's certainly is with me. I'm very prone to snacking when I get up in the night which is not great! I've put on far morer weight than I'm comfortable with, but asni don't eat that much, though a bit too much of the less healthy stuff, I can't do any eal exercise so it's very hard to know how to lose the weight.

I have just got a hypnotherapy cd about losing weight, only listened to it once snd I certainly didn't crave sugar for about 3 days after. But I'm concentrating on the pain control one as it's having a great effect on my tension levels, not particularly the pain, but it's all good.

Fizzbw xxx

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #53 on: 08 May 2012 07:43PM »
When my Mother gave up smoking she was amazed by how much money she found she had saved.  She had never counted the cost before and then regretted how much money she had wasted for so many years.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #54 on: 08 May 2012 10:20PM »
Trouble is it's so difficult to stop especially with Cameron and co on the telly so often, they make me so mad I have to go outside and have a smoke to calm myself down.

I know that the cigarettes suppress the apatite and inhibit the digestive system so when you stop smoking you tend to put on weight but that is usually temporary, though I tend put weight on easily and have a hard time loosing it so it's swings and roundabouts.

I do think I shall have to stop smoking and live with the weight gain and accusations of obesity.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #55 on: 08 May 2012 11:04PM »
Have you stopped yet John?

When can I start to tell you how obese you have become?

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: 09 May 2012 09:51AM »
Might as well start now auntie, you want to keep in practice  >lol<

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #57 on: 09 May 2012 12:00PM »
The only reason I decided to get into my "ideal" BMI was I have so many medical appointment and it had really begun to grate on my nerves to keep hearing about BMI. Now they don't say anything, what a relief. It may not add any years to my life, but it will add some quality not to have anyone banging out about how I have a BMI that is 25.1 (they don't look at the number, just that it's too high thus you must be fat and about to die from it, and no idea that 0.1 of a BMI point is 2lb for my height). It may also add years to the life of many auxilliary nurses who have to weigh me as I am no longer tempted to strangle them for talking to me about BMI.

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #58 on: 09 May 2012 12:53PM »
The weight gain isn't certain, IronicJ. I think if you have A Plan (preferably one decided and set out by you, and not by some health professional), you'll have a better chance of staying in control all round.  So, A Plan which covers your withdrawal from the fags, plus one which attempts to maintain your current levels of eating (including snacks), plus one (I'm afraid) which - if you still drink - takes some account of that, too.

Damn me, I sit here, 18.5 stone of me, lecturing you on how to lose weight? If you find a way of doing Plans properly, then TELL ME!

Good luck...

Allen.