Author Topic: Lack of access at Cop26  (Read 313 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Lack of access at Cop26
« on: 02 Nov 2021 08:16AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59128618

An Israeli minister was unable to gain access to the grounds of the Cop26 venue as it is not accessible to wheelchair users.
I don't whether I feel more ashamed as the host nation or shocked, disappointed, embarassed, let down, and angry. I think it's a combination of all of these things.

Which numpty who organised this didn't consider accessibility? I truly despair at times. It feels like one step forward and two steps back.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Re: Lack of access at Cop26
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2021 09:47AM »

I quite agree.

I thought this was a modern venue so how come it is inaccessible or is it a problem of thoughtless security?

On the edge

• Marmite 5050
  • Diamond member
« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2021 12:10PM »
Blame the Scots they set it up lol

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2021 06:59PM »
The venue as in the building is accessible, the UK organisers set up shuttle buses with no wheelchair access or pedestrian access to the venue. Bit stupid but plenty of wheelchairs get into the hydro for concerts.

Don’t know why they didn’t source buses with ramps as the local bus companies (First & McGills) both have buses that accept wheelchairs

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 03 Nov 2021 10:47AM »
It's just a lack of joined up thinking on the part of the organisers assuming that all attendees would be ambulant.

Apparently, the government are now trying to blame the Israeli visiting party for failing to declare that they would require specific access requirements in advance. They, of course, deny this and state that the organisers were clearly informed on numerous occasions. When will society change so that access requirements do not have to be notified in advance? Only then will we getting somewhere close to having true parity and access equality.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 03 Nov 2021 12:56PM »
Even if easy access transport isn't the default for something like that, it should be on standby for rapid availability if needed.  A vehicle that is suitable for someone normally in a wheelchair is also suitable for someone temporarily in a wheelchair after getting injured or falling ill during the journey, and often more helpful for an ambulant person, struggling with steps, whether permanently or temporarily.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2021 06:55PM »
I've just been reading the latest edition of Private Eye.  There's a cartoon I can't copy and paste because it's not on their website, and I don't want to quote word for word what they're not publishing for free, but the gist of it is that pledges have been made at Cop 26 for disability access by a distant future date.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)