Author Topic: Annoying neighbours (if only they were!)  (Read 440 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Annoying neighbours (if only they were!)
« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2021 09:50AM »
When I was very young (we moved home when I was seven years old), we lived on a what was then modern 1970s estate. All the garages were in blocks. We lived in an end of terrace house adjacent to one of the garage blocks and all of us kids used to play in it.

There was one lovely 'old' man (he probably wasn't, but I thought he was!) who kept his little red mini in one of the garages. We all called him Mr Red Mini Man  :f_laugh: . Every weekend, without fail, he would visit his garage and inspect his car. I would often be waiting for him at the garden gate and when I saw him I would yell to my mum that he was there and run across to meet him. I would always take something to show him like a picture I had drawn for him, or a certificate from school, or book l was reading. He was so kind.
He, in turn, had this little torch and he would let me check the water level in the radiator and read off the oil level from the dipstick.

When we moved away I missed him, but I've never forgotten the kindness of Mr Red Mini Man. I've often wondered what his real name was.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2021 05:25PM »
What a lovely image that put in my head. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Cheetarah

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2021 03:15PM »
Hi, I'm new here.  Those ideas to encourage children to feel comfortable playing in your garden really cheered me up, SunnyClouds. Maybe they could help plant something in the spring like sunflowers or strawberries. 

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2021 03:56PM »
I hadn't thought of getting them to plant something.  That's a lovely idea.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2021 09:49AM »
I can think of load of ways of annoying my neighbours, but I never know when I might need my neighbours to help me and vice versa.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2021 11:31AM »
How very true. Good neighbour relationships can be invaluable in times of need.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2021 02:06PM »
I have so many kind neighbours.  I think I'm very lucky.  I've been very pleased when neighbours have prompted me to do things for others I hadn't thought of.  E.g. someone visiting elderly relative, helping them clear up the house a bit, surplus rubbish, another neighbour saying to me as I was going past "You've got spare space in your bin, haven't you?"  Yes, I had, and some bags of rubbish were then carried down to my house by another neighbour.

By the same token, a couple of neighbours have been pushing me to get better at asking for help.

One of the kindnesses I love most is having had unsolicited get well cards from neighbours.  Beautiful.