Author Topic: Sport  (Read 465 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Sport
« on: 30 Aug 2021 01:56PM »
Now I'm not a sporty person however I do like to watch a bit of the Olympics and Paralympics.
In the coverage of the Paralympics was a link to a sport, wheelchair motocross, that a group are campaigning to make a Paralympic sport. Here's a BBC link and watch these kids fly:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-manchester-58297582

Personally, I just know I would dislocate a joint doing this which is such a shame as it looks great fun!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Sport
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2021 03:17PM »
Wow!

I conceptualise that as needing the same skills as gymnastics.  It's not just about strength, is it, it's about things like an ability to rotate etc.

I used to coach aikido and the pinnacle of my achievement was being able to demonstrate a forward breakfall (i.e. a flying diagonal roll) on a hard surface, e.g. tarmac.  That took quite a bit of skill for the likes of me, and would be absolute basic beginner for a gymnast, or, by the looks of it, wheelchair motocross, so it makes me really, really appreciate the skill involved in people who can do rather more impressive flips in the air and also appreciate the skill involved in a lot of other moves they do involving speed and turning.

Thanks for the link.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2021 09:27PM »
It's an amazing sport!

The achievements of all the athletes at the Paralympics has been incredible this year with so many world records beaten. It's even more incredible when you consider how little training time together people had due to the pandemic.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2021 09:43PM »
I haven't been watching the olympics but a neighbour said to watch paralympic swimming.  I watched a bit and was mind-boggled.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)