Author Topic: Covid jab  (Read 3389 times)

JLR2

Covid jab
« on: 24 Feb 2021 07:27AM »
Had a call from my GP's surgery and asked if I'd like to pop down for my share of Astra Zeneca, so 10 to 12 today and I'll have a sore arm :f_smiley:

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Covid jab
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2021 04:37PM »
JLR,

Sorry about your sore arm.

Mr Sunshine had his vaccination today he thinks it was the Pfizer one, I would need to check the paperwork to know.
He was more bothered about having to wait for ten minutes after he had the vaccination than anything else.

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2021 05:10PM »
Hi Sunshine, had my vaccine and so far no sore arm. I arrived within a moment or so of the arranged time and in/out in a couple of minutes. I sat in the car and then went off to do a quick bit of shopping. Talking of shopping that bit of shopping I did buying the gammon from my local butcher really has proved worth it for me. The butcher let me bone and roll my ham in the shop and then use their flatbed Berkel slicer to slice it. The difference in the quality of rashers of gammon compared to the back bacon (sweetcure) is just great. Between the taste and the much reduced water content of the gammon sees me not having to scape the salt deposits of the rashers as they fry.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2021 05:17PM »
JLR,

Thank is great  :thumbsup:

(How long does the gammon keep for?)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2021 09:09PM »
Dare I ask how old you are, JLR?  I had a bit of a surprise on Tuesday when my medical practice phoned to say I was on the list for a Covid jab and they had a slot this Friday (tomorrow!)  As I am 'only' 54, I couldn't understand why I was being called up so early:  I mean, I know the vaccination programme is ahead of schedule but hadn't anticipated hearing anything myself until at least the back-end of March....

Not that I'm going to 'look the gift horse in the mouth', of course!

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2021 05:49PM »
I had my first dose on January 30th so second dose is due in April. I was in group four being CEV due to unstable adrenal insufficiency. I only had a sore arm as it was the Pfizer I had. That seems to be common with the Pfizer. No other symptoms. My daughter should have her second Pfizer in March ready to return to work when her maternity leave ends. 

Hope yours goes okay kizzy.

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2021 09:32PM »
Hi Sunshine, the gammon will last the best part of a year, I've added the vacuum packing device I found in a Lidl store to my kitchen gadgets so I've used it to pack the numerous stacks of sliced gammon (including some gammon steaks)  and stored them in the freezer. The ham shank will be fine for making soup later this week.

Kizzy I'll be 70  in 7 years so not long now. It was the AstraZeneca vaccine which has my friend in Berlin a touch concerned because of the decision of the German government to restrict that vaccine to those under 65. My friend's also concerned about how we will cope if by the time I get over to Berlin she has not had a vaccination jab and going by the news coming out of Germany it could easily be September before she is invited for vaccination. There is a bit of me hoping that my flight will be cancelled just so I can claim a cash refund as the voucher I had was preventing the airline from making such a refund and had an expiry date in April.

As things stand I don't know what restrictions there will be in Germany come July when I'm due to fly out there and in a similar sense I don't know what the rules will be here in the UK come August when I'd be hoping to return home, I certainly couldn't afford to stop in a quarantine hotel.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2021 09:35PM by JLR2 »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2021 12:53PM »
I'm assuming that "all legal restrictions will be lifted on June 21st" if conditions are met means that quarantine will end then as that's a legal restriction. So if the conditions are met you should be fine to fly, British laws wise.

JLR2

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2021 07:14PM »
"British laws wise"

Aye but Fiz we've Nicola Sturgeon running things up here and depending on which way the winds blowing in her circle of nut jobs at the top of what was once a strong party for Scottish Independence she might just decide that only those who are of a transgender nature or worship the very ground she walks on are to be allowed to travel.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 02 Mar 2021 11:55AM »
So you're 63, JLR (see how good my maths is :f_winkeye: )  I think the over-60s are being targeted for jabs next, so you're not far off schedule...

Fiz, mine went fine, just an achey arm during the evening.  I half-expected a headache, but none forthcame;  have read that the Pfizer jab is believed to have less side-effects, so maybe that's why I got off lightly :thumbsup:

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: 02 Mar 2021 12:50PM »
We were discussing this topic on our VI group's zoom meeting this morning. Many of the members have now had their first jab. I reckon about half have had no after affects and most of the rest only mild ones such as a sore arm or a day so feeling off colour.

Only one had a bad reaction feeling really unsteady and sick for a couple of days followed three furthers days feeling poorly. Recovered now.

As far a I can tell neither vaccine seems cause more side effects I think it is much more dependant on individual reactions.

JLR2

« Reply #11 on: 03 Mar 2021 07:37AM »
Aye Kizzy, I'm of the Summer 58 vintage :f_smiley:   I've been a bit lazy this morning that's me just up and have the coffee making its way through the filters.

I don't know if it is just me but I'm getting a feeling bordering on automation in my habits, from waking to going to bed. It's like I'm living on repeat in the same way that a record player will play repeatedly a record on the turntable. Once I've filled the coffee machine (1.8ltr) I fetch the filter into place followed by the grinding of the beans then having put them into the machine scrub out the wee milk jug and rinse out my coffee mug before filling them with milk. The coffee mug of milk is to have when on reaching my couch in the living room I'll take my vitamin D tablet. The routine in the living room is again pure automation, I use one remote control to trigger a separate device, my German satellite box before I use the same remote to turn on my UK device and then the telly. I manually (press a wee button) on the audio connection and then it's off to fetch the coffee and as I sit here right now I know that apart from the date changing as tomorrow arrives it'll be no different.

Having said all that is it any wonder I'm looking forward to going over to Berlin come July?

SteveX

« Reply #12 on: 03 Mar 2021 09:43PM »
My doctors texted me today, saying I can now book my covid vaccine injection.  quite frankly I'm on the fence and not sure if I will.
Don't get my wrong, I'm not one of the anti vax silly people, I just think at my age and with all my problems it would be wasted on me and better used on someone who needs it more.   
Member of POMMAS

JLR2

« Reply #13 on: 04 Mar 2021 06:39AM »
Good morning Steve, I would encourage your taking the appointment as apart from helping yourself should you catch the virus according to some of what I've heard, from time to time, on the news the vaccine does have an impact on the spread of the virus to others.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: 04 Mar 2021 09:00AM »
I agree with JLR. Also you don't need to be concerned about depriving someone else of a jab. They are not being rationed. Only scheduled so that supply can keep up with demand. The worst you can do by having a jab is to delay someone else a day or two.