Author Topic: Eye tests type 2 diabetes  (Read 1704 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Eye tests type 2 diabetes
« on: 01 Aug 2016 05:29PM »
My optician/opthalmologist has retired and seems to be uncontactable at the moment. (May be abroad on a long holiday or doing work for an NGO in foreign parts.)  I have a problem in that every year he gave me an eye examination that involved drops in the eyes and a series of tests, related to glaucoma in my family and latterly type 2 diabetes.
(It is a different test to the NHS/GP practice test which involve photographing the inside of the eyes.)
I am now due for those tests, but all I get from other opticians in the area is a blank look when I mention the eye tests.
Does anyone know what the test is called.
(Cheers.)

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
Re: Eye tests type 2 diabetes
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2016 06:42PM »
The glaucoma test is generally a pressure test where they puff air into the eye.  I think the test with drops may be called a dilation test.  The drops dilate the pupil so that the back of the eye can be examined and retinal problems detected.

I've had both tests at Boots in Plymouth.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2016 07:54PM »
Cheers.

huhn

« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2016 08:56PM »
I think you mean  the retinal examination. but I  know from me as a young person  with glaucoma is it difficult to find the right doctors, most think glaucoma is something  for old ones. and a lot of older patients  find  it difficult to  understand that I  need more time with the doctor  then other ones, but important  do the tests. I told my children  to test early that they have no problems later.