Author Topic: Heatwave survival hints and tips  (Read 4953 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Heatwave survival hints and tips
« on: 19 Jul 2016 12:52PM »
Some people love the heat, for others it can be miserable or downright dangerous, so I've started this thread as a repository of heatwave-related information, where we can share our tips on how to cope and stay safe.  >bighugs<

So my first tips are that, in general, tepid showers or baths are more effective than cold ones. Tepid water will open pores and clear debris from them without raising your body temperature. This enables your body to perspire freely, and regulate temperature. (I appreciate that this won't apply to everyone.)

Secondly, hot water bottles can be converted into cold water bottles. For me, the back of my neck, and back of my right knee are the safe places to put one, and they do provide a bit of relief.

This link provides information on spotting the symptoms of heat exhaustion and heatstroke:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Heat-exhaustion-and-heatstroke/Pages/Introduction.aspx

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Heatwave survival hints and tips
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2016 01:27PM »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2016 01:37PM »
 >lol< >thumbsup<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2016 01:43PM »
Great idea for a thread, NN  >thumbsup<

Lankou, if only we could do likewise  >biggrin<

Keeping the bathroom basin half full of cold water, to dip hands and wrists in periodically, does help in between those tepid baths/showers...

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2016 03:28PM »
Now this does look like a good idea.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2016 04:27PM »
Great thread, thank you  >thumbsup<

I am trying to encourage Mum to drink more, but she doesn't understand the need  :-(

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2016 05:01PM »
Now this does look like a good idea.

Although maybe not if your nearest stretch of seawater is a manky urban lough!  >feeling-sick<

I am trying to encourage Mum to drink more, but she doesn't understand the need  :-(

Hurty >hugs<

I'm wondering about water in 'alternative' forms, such as home-made ice lollies, fozen fruit juices, etc. Foods with a high water content - strawberries, grapes, watermelon, salad veg and so forth might also help a bit. Neither of the options is a substitute for drinking, but may help to nudge your Mum's fluid intake in the right direction.

>Edit: typo
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2016 07:21PM by NeuralgicNeurotic »

SashaQ

• Charter Member
    • h2g2.com
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2016 07:13PM »
Excellent thread

I second the frozen fruit juice and water-rich salad vegetable suggestions - that works well for me, although I have been drinking more water too.

I wash my hands in tepid water and splash my face a bit, then I don't dry them so the water evaporates off and cools me for a bit.

sparrow

• Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2016 09:33AM »
For me its having a fan on,  some nice ice jubblies and ice cubes in large glass of water.   Sometimes I soak a flannel in ice cold water and put on head or back of neck, then lying down and imagining I'm lying on some hot tropical beach. (I can dream can't I ha)

huhn

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2016 02:09PM »
so  I am back after 1 week with  a sick computer.  as a person living the last 24 years in really hot countries my advice is hot tea to  drink and sleeping under a bed sheet  and when really hot  take a wet towel over you to sleep. avoid ice cubes, they make you  by 50  degrees only sweating more. Hat  always on and cover up, nothing is worse then a sunburn. and yoghurt as a stable diet is  good wuith fruit od  veggie and as a  after treatment for sunburns great also.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2016 10:03PM »
Mum is eating very little other than porridge for breakfast and a ready meal in the evening. She can't even prepare that herself, so there's no chance of her adding anything extra to it. Took her a fan round today but she complained it was 'too cold'! Have put it in her bedroom for now, we will have it if she doesn't want it.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2016 11:43PM »
I have found a solution.  With the thermometer in my bed reading only 28.5 degrees last night, I kept both 13 tog duvets for most of the night until the central heating came on, then dropped down to one for an hour or so before pulling the other one back on for the last hour or so.

No, I'm not joking and I wish my GP would believe me and give me some more flipping thyroxine!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2016 09:52AM »
Hurty and Sunny  >bighugs<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2016 11:41AM »
My heart goes out to all those that struggle in the heat.  It must be horrid.  At least when it's the other way round, you can generally do something about it fairly easily, even if it's just a matter of flinging lots of extra layers on.

I'm hoping it will give you a giggle to tell you how silly it can be when it's the other way round.  If you think it won't, scroll on by.

I'm one of the few people you'll meet who's had hypothermia twice in the UK in temperatures above freezing and seemingly well-wrapped up.  I was with the army, and it was suggested that I wasn't fit enough, but you'll have to take my word for it that I was.  I used to run 6 miles every night except when I was away. On both occasions, I'd been asleep and they noticed shortly after they woke me up. 

I ran my fastest ever army fitness test run quite comfortably having landed in Cyprus a few hours earlier (i.e. without time to acclimatise).  I'm not sure how hot it was, but it was heat of summer and hot enough that we were putting salt in the water in our water bottles.  (I've not come across this done outside the army except where people buy expensive drinks or do it because they've got diarrhoea, but you work out how much to add by adding it until you can just taste it.)

When money has been tight and I struggled to afford heating, I always prioritised heat at night, because I think I also struggle to maintain core body temperature when asleep or when trying to sleep.

Warmth and lots of bedding are also comforting like a teddy bear.  That being so, so long as I can afford it, I have a source of heat next to my desk, and it has to get really hot before I switch it off.  I'm sitting here now, having just got up about half an hour ago.  The thermometer next to my desk is showing 26 and I've got a T-shirt on but no pullover and I feel chilly, intermittently shivering.  I keep looking at my halogen heater and thinking surely it wouldn't be too daft to top the room temperature up just a little bit...

I shan't offer hugs to those trying to cool down in case they make you hotter.  Have some cooling snow and cloud cover to shield you from the sun instead.   >Cloudandsnow<

(What, you think I did that so I could pinch all NN's hugs?  Why, how could you suggest such a thing?)
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2016 04:07PM »
LOL Sunny  >lol<  (at the pinching hugs, not at you getting hypothermia!)