Author Topic: Support stockings  (Read 3321 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Support stockings
« on: 29 Jun 2016 07:46AM »
It has become apparent that I need support stockings or tights to help prevent the blood pooling in my lover legs and feet.
My GPS has suggested I try the most supportive tights from M&S before trying prescription compression stockings as my dexterity is poor and I may struggle to get them on.

I had a look at the support tights at M&S online and John  Lewis and there are certainly some to choose from.
Has anyone tried taking this route before using prescription stockings and how useful did you find the most?

I'm hoping that they will help my tiredness levels when I'm sitting at my desk at work. At home I tend to put my feet up so it's not such an issue then.

huhn

Re: Support stockings
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2016 10:25AM »
I had  used them,  you need a person to take them of. I find better to  put regularly my feet up or when it is  very  bad in the heat I use than bandages, they are easier to put on and off

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2016 10:49AM »
I began having to use compression/support hosiery last year, as having to spend so much time lying flat does not do wonders for the old peripheral circulation. I started out with OTC flight socks, which are comparatively inexpensive and easy to get hold of, before investing in some higher compression tights. These were undeniably expensive, but good quality and very durable. The ones I have are BeFit24 compression tights, available in black and two flesh tones, and a range of compression grades.

This site has a very useful guide for anyone buying compression wear for the first time:

http://www.absolutemedical.com/buyers-guide.html

I have a couple of these gizmos to assist with putting the tights or flight socks on on:

https://www.essentialaids.com/dressing/sock-and-stocking-aids/compression-stocking-aid-3411.html

The aid works resonably well, but only for lower compression levels. I had to attach longer chords to them, as the originals weren't suitable for lanky old me.

They certainly do work in terms of preventing blood pooling in my legs, which means my muscles are less liable to cramp up, and trigger a pain flare.

Although I know this isn't applicable to you dd, the tights do help a bit with my altered sensation. Putting them on is seriously painful, as light touch is a pain tigger for me, but once on, they don't move much, which helps protect my leg and pelvis from flares caused by clothes brushing against the skin.

Hope this is of some help.  >hugs<

>Edit: Typos.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2016 12:04PM by NeuralgicNeurotic »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2016 01:12PM »
dd, I was hunting around for something that might help regarding your limited dexterity, and found this:

http://www.compressionstockingssite.com/could-zipper-compression-stockings-be-the-answer-for-you/

Could Zipper Compression Stockings Be The Answer For You?

If you have weakness and/or arthritic pain in your hands, zipper compression socks or stockings may just be what the doctor ordered to make things easier for you.

Only a limited number of brands such as Jobst, Bell-Horn or Curad (Medline) offer specialized medical compression socks or stockings featuring a zipper to make putting them on and taking them off easier for individuals with restricted strength or dexterity.

Whether you are dealing with swelling or venous issues such as defective valves inside your leg veins or bulging varicose veins, compression therapy is generally the first line of defense in treating these conditions by controlling symptoms and slowing their progression.

The compression grades spoken of in the article might be too high for your needs, but it might be worth checking out anyway.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2016 07:11PM »
NN, thank you for your suggestions. You are always so helpful and I  much appreciate it   >hugs<
I had completely forgotten about the stocking aids so I'll get some in before I  try the stockings. I will keep you updated!

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jul 2016 09:08PM »
You're very welcome, dd, and best of luck in your search >thumbsup<