Author Topic: Care needs assessment  (Read 645 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Care needs assessment
« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2021 03:05PM »
I managed to get a letter off to my MP. He'll read it on Monday. It absolutely exhausted me composing and writing it and getting it off. It's times like this that I realise how little I am able to do. Still, it's sent. Hopefully it will change things for others, I think social care in the community is on the brink of collapse.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2021 12:49PM »
Please update us when you get a reply, Fiz.
I know how much energy, both physical and emotional, it takes to write these sort of letters so well done for doing it.  :heart:

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2021 04:44PM »
My MP's response arrived today. I'm unsure if he took in what I had written in my letter because I said that my adrenal insufficiency has improved and I am hopeful that I won't need help at home now but that I was concerned about the lack of response or offer of care in five months and want to ensure that it won't happen to others in need of urgent care and yet he says in his letter to the Director of Adult Services that he hopes his contacting them will get things on a practical footing and lead to a positive outcome. His sentence to me says he's sorry to hear of this disappointing situation and he will ensure the reply from the Director of Adult Services is sent to me as soon as he receives it. 

Hopefully the Director of Adult Services will fully take on board what I was saying when he reads my letter and change the referral system so people are assessed quickly and not neglected. It would probably be too much to ask for an apology for the distress that I have been through being so alone and so unwell. As I said that "I hopefully" won't need help at home now, it would be good practice for Adult Services to phone me and check whether I am okay before closing my request for assessment because as far as they're concerned until hearing from the MP I am still waiting for care five and a half months on from requesting it. 

Maybe it's a ploy to cut back on their budget. Just don't respond to requests for care assessments?

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2021 01:10PM »
That's a hopeful response from your MP,  Fiz . It will be interesting to see how Social Services act following this.  I'm sure for every complaint that is made, there are innumerable people who havè received similar treatment but are not in a position to actually make a formal complaint. 
I feel it is part of my responsibility to hold people to account for their poor services and complain like the grumpy, middle aged, old bag that I am! However, sometimes I'm too unwell to do this, and I always hope there's someone around who can fight my corner for me. 
:big_hugs:  :big_hugs:  :big_hugs: to all fellow complainers,  and if anyone needs help with writing a letter of complaint please let me know and I'll do my best to help or signpost you to an organisation who can assist. Take care, my fellow Ouchers  :heart:

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: 06 May 2021 03:50PM »
My doorbell went at 9.15am today. I had collected my doorbell receiver from the kitchen where it charges overnight so could let the caller know I was on my way and put my dressing gown on and went down to the front door. A lady in gown, gloves and mask was there saying she'd come to provide me with my daily 30 minutes of personal care! Nice to know they were coming! Something tells me the MPs letter has triggered a response! I was so shocked to see her and so unprepared that I turned her down today asking her to tell her office to phone me. I needed time to consider whether I can manage alone now or do I still need help. 

Yesterday I had real deep extreme fatigue and had to go back to bed by lunchtime as I couldn't sit up as I didn't have the energy. That's the first day in a while that I have been incapacitated but it was enough to give me caution and not turn away care without thinking it through. My CPN came this morning and also thinks that having waited so long for this care that I should accept it and see how I go. She thought I could think of other things they could do in the 30 minutes if I don't feel able to shower that day such as lunch prep but I am unsure more than personal care is on offer. 

I got a call from the Mental Health and Substance Misuse Team social worker about the care this afternoon, she had assumed the reablement team would phone and make an appointment with me rather than just turn up. This social worker told me a few weeks back that my request for care had gone to her team by mistake and should have gone to the physical disabilities team and that her manager had told her to send the phone assessment results through to the physical disabilities team for them to action. I'd heard nothing since and as she's phoned me and still clearly holds my case it appears it never got sent to the physical disabilities team at all hence zilch response. 

My letter to the MP appears to have brought an unannounced carer to my door but my hope is that the five and a half month wait for care will be investigated so that it doesn't happen to somebody else. I actually had to reach a point in wellness/health to be able to advocate/action my request for help to the highest level needed to get a result but reaching that point of wellness means the help is no longer crucial. Sometimes I wish I had a family member to fight my corner for me when needed! 

Ho hum. So I have a carer coming tomorrow morning.