Author Topic: Fructose Intolerance / Malabsorption  (Read 404 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Fructose Intolerance / Malabsorption
« on: 09 Jul 2022 01:33PM »
OMG all I did was eat a new type of cereal bar and I got sent into three days of pain and suffering similar to severe IBS. At first I thought maybe food poisoning but everything was staying inside not having me running to the loo- sorry if that is kind of graphic. The last time this happened was when I iate tinned pears and drank the syrup the pears came in.

Has anyone else had this happen?

ps I forgot to say after the fact I looked at the bars ingredients and there was a lot of coconut.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Fructose Intolerance / Malabsorption
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2022 11:27PM »
Not my problem, fortunately.  I do have an increasing intolerance of raw carrots, which appears to be developing as a cross-sensitivity to a tree pollen, but that doesn't hurt, just uses lots of loopaper.

The thing I don't like, though, is when my gallstones and/or pancreas play up and I end up with soft clay-coloured stools.  I always think "Please let this still just be ordinary gallstones or more side-effects of my meds..." (which impair pancreatic function) "...not something to worry about."

I always thought anything IBS like sounded horrible.  Mega-owww.

:big_hugs:

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2022 01:42PM »
I always think "Please let this still just be ordinary gallstones or more side-effects of my meds..." (which impair pancreatic function) "...not something to worry about."

The way you said that reminded me of the balancing act we each do every day to make the best of things- or maybe it is about survivability. Initially the IBS situation 'knocked me over' but now I am less worried about it because it got a little bit better.

Do you think people who have been sick and disabled for a long time react to additional infirmity in a different way to able bodied people?

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2022 09:17PM »
Yes, I think we do often react differently.  That being said, additionally in the UK, there's that weird British understatement thing that then reinforces it in terms of how we communicate with others, so we are more inclined than otherwise not to be screaming "Waahh!  I'm mega disabled even more, more, more!" but "I do seem to have a few more problems these days."
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2022 10:51AM »
I completely agree with you both.

It's really hit home to me since my last PIP application that I've been diagnosed with five new conditions and I'm undergoing investigation for another. All in the space of four years.
At each new diagnosis I kind of shrug my shoulders and think "oh well, another one to add to the list" and move on. I just take the meds, adjust my treatment plan, diet, etc, and that is that. I might have a bit of a 'bloody typical ' moment with my husband but I certainly don't make a song and dance about it as to me, it's just another day.

I guess for people who are not living with chronic illness or disability then the thought of being diagnosed with something is a big deal, especially if it requires a lifetime of treatment. It's a lot to adjust to and it's something that we, as disabled people,  can become used to in a peculiar sort of way.

I remember when I was first given my diagnosis of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome I was relieved but devastated at the same time, as this meant that my long held plans of conquering all the UK Munroes were now not going to be fulfilled. I definitely went through a sort of grieving process for my lost life, before I bounced back out the other side and accepted my limitations. As you can see, I'm completely over that stage now!

But it's a very interesting discussion to have.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2022 04:02PM »
I am sorry you did not get to the UK Munroes  :heart:

There is thank goodness a lot m  ore support and information online than there was back when I was young and wet to the reference library and looked in BIg books to better understand CP. For me fear of the unknown can be a awful thing so on this occasion Dr Google really helped.