Author Topic: Hot Weather  (Read 1712 times)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
Hot Weather
« on: 09 Jul 2022 12:23PM »
How's the weather in your part of the country?

Here in Sunny Sussex it's been a mixture of hot, sunshine and muggy, humid, oppressive heat.
Today is overcast and humid. Not very nice at all with very little air movement and I'm right on the coast!

I find the weather affects the way I feel quite drastically and find this sort of weather a bit of a struggle.

The forecast for the next week is very hot weather, so take care my friends  :f_hug:

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Hot Weather
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2022 01:25PM »
It is hot and clammy here in the East Midlands. Last night was the worst so far I mean want with menopausal night sweats and the humidity I did not get much sleep at all.

The little birds are not showing themselves much around the bird feeders which has me worried. I was not able to fill the feeders and make sure there was water for a day and a half. I hope they are okay.

Cold damp weather badly affects my ability to walk and move around so summertime sees m e playing catch up but this weather has me just as beat.

:f_hug:

oldtone27

• Access All Areas
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2022 09:34AM »

Here further west along the coast from Sussex it was cloudy and muggy before lunch yesterday but then clear became sunny and quite pleasant although perhaps a little hot for my taste.

Today early light cloud has lifted and its warming. Very still so could get too hot.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2022 10:44AM »
Hi Oldtone *waving*,

It sounds like we have similar weather today. A day for finding a shady spot and not doing much in particular!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2022 11:24AM »
I do feel lucky to live in a terraced house with tall ceilings this time o f year because right now I can be in my study and it is fairly cool. Of course in winter it can feel cold and drafting but can reduce the amount of rooms being heated if I have to.

Oh something else about the hot weather does watching tv programs or movies that are set in the winter snow have a cooling effect on anyone else but me?

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2022 12:07PM »
I can't say watching films etc of snowy and winter scenes makes any difference to my body temp.

Not that I've noticed anyway  :f_erm:

*note to self: must pay more attention and stop falling asleep every time I try to watch something 😴

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2022 06:01PM »
 :f_laugh:   I think sleep is the best way to escape this damn heat, if you can nod off in the first place...

It's 27.5C in my second-floor flat right now, and I can see it rising to 30C plus tomorrow and Tuesday when the heatwave is supposed to peak.   Hey-ho, can't do owt else but just put up with it and try to do as much as I can in the mornings when it's 'only' 25C.... I do have a desktop fan if necessary, but wary about using too much electric with the energy prices as they are these days  :f_steam:   Anyway, exceptional weather like this doesn't tend to last too long (she says optimistically)

oldtone27

• Access All Areas
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2022 09:52AM »
Getting warm this morning. Fortunately my bungalow is quite cool as there is a nearby oak tree that provides perfect shade in midsummer. Living room is quite long with windows mainly at one end so one can retreat to the shady end.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2022 10:24AM »
I like the warmth but am a bit discombobulated.  I used to love heat.  Malfunctioning thyroid.  In 18 years Territorials, my fastest ever annual fitness test run was in Cyprus, morning heat, about 40 degrees just after flying out from London  20 degrees cooler.

In recent years, I've felt cold to the point of absurdity, with the added effect of medication that impairs thyroid function.  Night time:- 3 radiators round bed, thermometer next to bed 19-20 degrees.  Socks, knicks, leggings, long-sleeved T, 2-3 hot water bottles, top sheet, 13 tog duvet, 3-4 layers of fleece blanket.   

But...

About 3 weeks ago, I changed when I take my thyroxine from when I get up for the day to when I get up in the night to go to the loo.  In less than a week, I was reducing bedding and layers of daytime clothing.  I've even taken my pullover off sometimes.  Not all the time, though.  The thermometer on the wall above my desk is showing 25 degrees and I've got a woolly pullover on over my long-sleeved T-shirt.  But if I'm moving around, doing housework or going for a walk, I can now cast it off.

That being said, I've been trying to get more physically active, so a heatwave is an excellent opportunity to get me to take my pullovers off, which is important if my thyroid pill timing is good and I need to psychologically re-acclimatise to not wearing pullovers all the time. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2022 11:27AM »

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2022 12:50PM »
 :f_laugh:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2022 09:05PM »
Monday looks like the direst day of this heatwave with forecasters warning of 40C for parts of the country, so for anyone living in the worst-affected areas, stay safe and thank goodness it should all be over by Wednesday...

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2022 09:20PM »
I feel really sorry for people that feel the heat.  I've just come back from a walk and I'm feeling a bit hot and I can't help but think of all those people out there that find heat uncomfortable and my heart goes out to those that are struggling.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2022 03:12AM »
It's now raining, windy, and much cooler which is great so why am i still awake at 3.10am!

Typical  :f_steam:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2022 11:06AM »
You were awake because you're an awkward so-and-so who refuses to be affected by weather in precisely the same way as your next door neighbour.

Quick, go and tell the conspiracy theorists - they'll want some evidence this is all a scam or something!

:f_winkeye: