Author Topic: NI contributions- underlying entitlement  (Read 162 times)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
NI contributions- underlying entitlement
« on: 18 Jul 2022 12:58PM »
When I had to stop work six or so years ago I was informed that I wasn't entitled to any income related benefits as I hadn't been working enough hours a week to pay NI contributions and my husband was earning too much.

I've recently found out that I might be eligible for underlying NI credits as I am eligible for ESA, just don't meet the employment history criteria.

Have I missed out on all these years NI credits and is there any way I can get them back? I was in receipt of Higher Rate DLA at the time and now Enhanced PIP.

I'm currently paying Voluntary NI contributions out of my PIP each month and it's a large chunck that I could spend on other things at the moment with price rises.
I'm feeling a little bit dazed and confused about how I should proceed. Do I need to apply for ESA as a first step?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm really at sea here.

Monic1511

Re: NI contributions- underlying entitlement
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2022 08:59PM »
You can try applying for new style ESA which is the equivalent of contributions based ESA but to get new style ESA the NI contributions have to be from employment. I don’t think you can get ESA from self paid contributions. If you apply for ESA and they refuse to pay you anything it’s called credits only which is what I think your asking about.  You’d need to apply for universal credit esa to get credits only esa.

Apply for new style and insist on a medical and then argue about the NI credits