Author Topic: How is everyone getting on this week? Any plans?  (Read 2656 times)

oldtone27

• Access All Areas
Re: How is everyone getting on this week? Any plans?
« Reply #30 on: 01 May 2022 10:18AM »
There it is has been a delay in delivering equipment so it's a bit longer in hospital bed blocking. Bank holiday doesn't help.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: 01 May 2022 10:49AM »
I'd hate to be stuck in hospital, and the equipment thing is a pain.

I've got 3 wheely walkers I'm not using (from when my ataxia was bad) and when a neighbour had surgery on her leg a little while back, she borrowed two.  Until then, I hadn't taken on board that whereas with me, the issue was a sort of balance where I could cope upstairs ok, for her, it was weight bearing so she wanted one walker for upstairs and one for downstairs, but they don't issue two. Do they expect people with serious leg problems to find a way to slide their bed downstairs and hump it into their living room or something?

So big hugs to help keep you going.

:big_hugs:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: 01 May 2022 10:58AM »
As for me, I had a near miss a week ago.  I was hit by a car as I was crossing the road by a roundabout.  As I shouted at him "Even if you haven't read the new highway code, it's never been ok to run over pedestrians."

I was hit and flung hard enough for lots of shopping to be smashed as it hit the ground, but with my martial arts background plus experience of hundreds of falls from ataxia plus sheer good luck, I wasn't significantly physically injured, just sore.  Very lucky.

I still feel emotionally wobbly, but I'm bouncing back.  The thing I found hardest at the time was people fussing around me.  It's really stressful turning my head back and forth, back and forth to pick up what people are saying.  But hey, hearing aids are magic, aren't they?  Sorry folks, the dangerous driver didn't manage to splat my wryness!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: 01 May 2022 08:32PM »
OMG, didn't the driver even stop to see what they'd done?   Thank goodness you weren't more seriously injured - what a horrible shock to the system, though.  Did any of the witnesses get the reg number or anything?  He shouldn't be in charge of a wheelbarrow, let alone a motorised vehicle  :f_steam:

Sorry folks, the dangerous driver didn't manage to splat my wryness!

Well, that's something to be thankful for - I think  :f_winkeye:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: 01 May 2022 09:48PM »
Yes, the driver stopped and as I was sitting there in the road, he came up to me and started chivvying me to get up and I told him to back off and not to touch me.

You see, there are a few things that were affecting me in terms of emotion and thought.

1. Feeling generally shaken.
2. Needing to check around me to make sure other cars weren't going to run me over.  (Not a problem - another car stopped behind, parked at a slight angle with hazards on.)
3. Trying to assess myself for injuries before I moved.  If I'd damaged my spine, for instance, moving could have been dangerous.  My wrist, which is rather wonky after a previous break when falling was painful and I was trying to check out if I'd injured it or just annoyed it.
4. Others were getting involved and with my hearing, that means looking back and forth, trying to work out who's saying what, who's doing what.
5. Sadly, in the past, I've been on the wrong end of 'helper muggers'.  They pretend to be helping whilst they rob you.
6. Psychologically I perceived the driver the way I would if a strange thuggish-looking man had barged past me and shoved me into the road.  He might have misjudged it, thinking I'd jump out of the way, but it would still be aggression so I'd be wary.
7. The  man who hit me might have been drunk, high on drugs, manic or whatever.  Again, potentially still dangerous due to impaired judgement.  (I don't assume he would be, but I'd want to assess him first.)
8. My groceries were smashed and he didn't give a toss.  That to me was painful.  He didn't know whether I could afford to replace them.  About £15 worth of food ruined but for all he knew, it could have been twice that or more.  For all he knew, it could have been my children's supper.  To give you an idea of the level of impact, three apples were totally squashed and a load of almonds and brazils were reduced to powder and crumbs.  I didn't land on them, that was the force of impact.  There was hummus and juice from squashed fruit on the bags and on me.

The driver told someone else he would report it to the police.  What he didn't do, though, was give me or the witnesses his details.

Someone called an ambulance.  I said I didn't want or need an ambulance, I wanted police but nobody listened to me.  The person calling the ambulance refused to cut the call until they'd passed my details onto the switchboard, by which time the driver had gone.

Someone kicked up such a fuss insisting on driving me home, with others nagging me to accept the offer, that I gave way, even though it was a very short walk along a couple of very familiar roads.

I felt horribly, horribly disempowered.

I wasn't going to report it to the police, remembering how not many years ago, I reported an assault by a woman on a bus who, seeing my disabled bus pass and the signs on my mobility aid, had physically assaulting me whilst shouting and swearing.  "[Expletive] disabled...!"  It was on camera (from more than one angle), the driver will have had to fill out a report at depot, and there were witnesses who'd helped me to safety.  The police didn't even think it worth giving me a log number, much less investigating.

But others chivvied me so I did.  I stayed in all day Thursday and Friday for the call I was told I'd get but didn't.  Emotionally as opposed to logically, I felt like I'd been subjected to a curfew, like it was me that had committed the offence.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: 04 May 2022 06:41PM »
I didn't stay in all day at the weekend but dialled 1471 when I got back to check to see if I'd had any calls but hadn't (the last one being a particular call from before the weekend that I recognised).

I stayed in all day Monday but to no avail.  Tuesday I went out, but again checked 1471 when I got back but again latest incoming call was Thursday.  Today the only call I had was from someone I knew.

So as I see it, whilst I don't think I can complain if it takes me until a bit through Wednesday to report an accident on Monday evening, if by the following Wednesday evening I haven't had a call back, we can safely say they're not going to investigate.

I wish I hadn't reported it, because the police failure to investigate has increased my sense of vulnerability and disempowerment.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2022 06:43PM by Sunny Clouds »

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: 04 May 2022 07:03PM »
Meanwhile, for the first time ever after decades of voting, I'm seriously considering spoiling my ballot paper.  Where I am, I'd say this time around it's a toss-up between Libdem and Labour, and as a leftie, usually my logic would be to vote for whichever I thought would keep the Tories out (just as I assume happens in reverse with voters on the right).  I can't stomach voting for those candidates, given the local corruption and cronyism.

You could say just not vote but that wouldn't feel the same.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: 05 May 2022 01:15PM »
OMG Sunny that is horrendous and the fact the police failed you too no wonder you feel vulnerable and disempowered  :big_hugs:

Old Tone I hope you get a proper amount of care when you get back home. Ankles can take a long time to heal so I am assuming you know to take it steady.

As far as my plans go it is kind of  :f_bleep: :f_bleep: :f_bleep: :62_62: :coffee: :sleepimg_moon: :f_gift:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: 05 May 2022 03:07PM »
Only three bleeps bad?  Hmm.  I wonder how many hugs map  onto that.

Aha, 3 hugs?

:f_hug: :f_hug: :f_hug:

Nope, that only matches it.  An extra one to make the difference.

:big_hugs:

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: 05 May 2022 08:42PM »
Sorry to read the police have let you down so dismally, Sunny - makes me wonder what exactly they do these days  :thumbsdown:    I can see why you'd feel twice wronged, because you have been!  That >expletive deleted< driver could have at least offered to pay for your ruined groceries...

Re the local elections:  Already done my postal vote about two weeks back, it's a choice between Libs and Tories in my part of the South-West.  But I like the idea of you spoiling your ballot paper, you rebel  :f_biggrin:

..and what's worth three whole bleeps, Sunshine? (if you're up to telling us)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #40 on: 06 May 2022 11:21AM »
Hmm I was feeling particularly sweary because I feel trapped and like I am going in circles from one thing to the next and achieving little. On the upside I did make it to Wales for my father In Law's funeral and managed my medication well enough to participate in family conversations. I can't talk about it much here so I might use the 3am board but then again I am okay within myself.

I delete the rest of what I said because it would be high jacking this thread.

Soooo on topic my plans for the week are to sell some old tech to pay for the new phone I bought when life felt particularly bad and I distracted myself by camera shopping.

I am very lucky or maybe good at What If planning because I have a roof over my head, food in my tummy and manageable mental health and what is shaping up to be a better garden.

Milocat just pootled into my study and he is 14 this year can still move and enjoy life including the 2am pester for cuddles.that's iit ihe is on the desk ttfn
 :f_hug: :f_hug: :f_hug: :big_hugs:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: 07 May 2022 10:25PM »
My life's getting surreal.  I've a long list of non-grocery shopping to catch up with and made myself head for the town centre for it rather than my local high street.

To my amazement, almost straight away I found something I've been looking for for months going cheap as a bargain, so didn't grumble when the next thing I wanted was more expensive than expected.

Then I went into another shop and there was a zigzag queue for the checkouts and I wasn't being low, but someone behind me caught me off balance.

I wasn't entirely certain whether she was just being careless, but her body language and her eagerness to reach out and make 'reassuring' gestures and physical contact suggested it was distraction theft and she was after my purse, so I hobbled out, having caught my ankle slightly against something.  (No permanent damage.)

It was only a few minutes later that I realised that I'd dropped not only the item I'd intended to buy as I stumbled, but also the carrier bag with my earlier bargain in it. Fortunately I didn't drop the more expensive item which was in my handbag.  I went back but the shop staff said it wasn't there.  Who took it is anybody's guess.

Oh well, although in most places the lost item would, in that condition, be over a tenner, I'd got it for £2, and whilst there've been times in my life when £2 would have been a disaster, it's not now.

So I cheered myself up with some nice chats with strangers.  They gave me verbal hugs, so I'll pay some forward to Ouchers.

:f_hug: :f_hug: :f_hug: :f_hug: :f_hug: :f_hug:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: 09 May 2022 08:04PM »
I phoned the shop where I dropped my carrier bag.  They don't have it and confirmed that if it had been put in a display basket by someone, it would have been found when they tidied.

So whether the thief was the woman I felt pushing/moving my shoulder bag, or whether it was someone else, that means that less than two weeks after being run down, I was robbed.

It's not the loss of the item, it's the loss of dignity, it's the fact that in the moment, I forgot that I'd been carrying a bag. 

I tried talking to a Samaritan about how utterly overwhelmed with stuff I feel, with a build-up of so many enmeshed issues in my life, saying I wanted to draw together the key elements so that then I can try to find things in common between them that I can tackle, ways of moving forward. The Sam listened for a while, then just as I felt I was making progress, asked why I'd called.  I gave up.

So now what I'll do is to go for a walk.  Whilst I'm out...

- I'll look at the sky and remind myself summer's coming. 
- In relation to the people I meet, I'll focus not on the small number of inconsiderate wotsits, but on the majority of friendly, considerate, kind people. 
- I'll look at the dandelions, which I love. 
- I'll keep an eye open for anything interesting put outside people's houses for people to help themselves to.  (We do that round here.)
- I'll engage in something I'm doing to give a silly giggle purpose to going out - I take a little polythene bag with me and collect thrown away rubber bands and hair ties.  My aim is to collect a ball of them the size of a grapefruit, then soak them in soapy water, rinse and find a use, e.g. tying tops of rubbish bags.  Yes, daft, which is the whole point when I'm feeling ghastly.

Oh, and if another driver mows me down, instead of looking calm, I'll guilt-trip him by going full-on 'woe is me', so there!

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #43 on: 10 May 2022 01:18PM »
Hello DitchDweller

About plan's for the week. Yesterday I sent a photo of me + the scarecrow/carecrow to the newspaper Dsability Turst my scarecrow was reprersenting disabled people as I gave it one leg as disability is found in EVERY LEVAL OF SCOIETY + I stood my walking stick next to the scarecriw to help enphize the disability. So now

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #44 on: 10 May 2022 01:40PM »
Hello DitchDewller

Sorry for not finnishing my last post (I am not sure what button I pressed by mistake) Next year I will ask the wheelchair repair service if they can lend me a W/c I can put a disabled scarecrow in the wheelchair + I'll give carecrow only one arm + one leg because I have a positve atti