Author Topic: Phoning and going to the dentist.  (Read 11716 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Phoning and going to the dentist.
« on: 14 Mar 2012 04:17PM »
For the past few weeks I have had a achey jaw ans could not work out if it is my teeth or neuralgia so have kind of happily been putting off even making a dentist appointment. Last night I was enjoying Chinese takeaway and it was like there was a big bang in my mouth. Unfortunately it was not an explosion of yummy flavours or even a waterchestnut, what had actually happened was I had broken a chunk of the edge of one of my front teeth. It really hurt and before I got oto the mirror I was thinking omg omg  >yikes<. Anyway it stopped hurting and the bit missing is actually not so big but big enough to need dental treatment. It took me most of the day to get around to phoning the dentist for an appointment and the receptionist was lovely eg making sure I was in the big room that is wheelchair accessible and the appointment was at the time of day that suited me. I then made a appoinment for Mr Sunshine because he missed his checkup. The receptionist said he can't miss this appointment because he already missed some. I then explained he has bipolar disorder and sometimes it is difficult for him to keep appointments. The receptionist put that on his file and said it would be taken into account and if he was not coming could I ring and let them know because people in pain are having to wait weeks for apppointments.

Both appoinments are more than two weeks away and as time passes I will get more worked up and have to calm myself down, not because the dentist I have now is in any way awful, but because being sick and disabled can make going to any appointment feel like a huge scary mountain. I was wondering what is the best way to get over the fear and scaredy cat feelings that going to the dentist brings?

>biggrin<

Prabhakari

Re: Phoning and going to the dentist.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2012 04:24PM »
Think of the relief when you know that it will soon be over, and that you will not end up with a rotting and crumbling tooth.

When this happened to me about three years ago, my dentist did the repair immediately. I was lucky.

Just remember that the pain of treatment is mainly in the mind, whereas the pain of a damaged tooth is much worse, and gets worse over time.
So, stiff upper lip and stiff withers... go in with head held high, but with a loose rein. You will soon be much better.

With metta, Prabhakari.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

chelseaguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2012 04:27PM »
I find what she said to you really strange,no dentist i have ever been to would let people wait for an appointment if they are in pain, every dentist i have used has had an emergency service that you can call and they will fit you in and if not they usually give you details of the nearest hospital with a dental department,i use the nhs dentist in fulham and they are so wonderful in their caring for disabled and nervous patients,and couldn't do more to put people at ease

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2012 04:39PM »
stiff upper lip and stiff withers... go in with head held high, but with a loose rein.

Good description  >thumbsup<

I find what she said to you really strange,no dentist i have ever been to would let people wait for an appointment if they are in pain,

Chelseaguy, welcome to Ouch Too, sorry I was not clear, the receptionist asked me if I was in pain from the broken tooth and while it feels odd it is not actually hurting. I suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia so the other pain I am is usually on the left hand side of my face and occasionally on the right. I did not actually think of the right hand side pain as needing an emergency appointment because I am used to that type of pain. Saying that outloud it does sound weird  >doh<. Anyway the receptionist said if the tooth starts to hurt then ring for an emergency appointment. :-)

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2012 06:13PM »
I had toothache on and off for a while as well as a broken tooth.  Due to being completely skintight and being really busy I had to put off making an appointment for a little while.  I finally went a couple of weeks ago and the relief of not having toothache has been so good, even though I have constant chronic pain elsewhere.

I'm not bothered about going to the dentist and have had stages when I've found it easier than going to the doctor because dentists don't say you're imagining things.  Of course dental problems are 'all in your head' nonetheless!

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2012 07:58PM »
Broken teeth are hell. The most painful moment of my life ever was at the age of ten when having a bike race with my cousin our wheels clashed, I went over the top and landed on my mouth, breaking a front tooth in half. I also broke a side one a few years ago on a TV remote control of all things.

You have my sympathies. In fact everyone doss.

SteveX

• Access All Areas
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2012 08:03PM »
That sounds bad, I hope they sort it and you feel better soon.
Member of POMMAS

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2012 08:14PM »
Oh Hossy, i am sorry for your dilemma, I am off next Tuesday for a dental check-up, i cancelled it from this Tuesday, as i was in London at the hospital i attend on Monday, so really didn't feel up to going to the dentist, and yes i can fully empathise with your dilemma, i dont even like having a check-up, but will force myself to go, as i can feel that a bit of filing has come out of one of my back teeth.  The last time i went was 6 months ago, and the dentist had to do a small filing, but it really wasn't that bad.

i do think the thought of going to the dentist is actually worse than the treatment, once you get there, and sit in the waiting room, if you could perhaps do some deep breathing, just long slow breaths, in through the nose out through the mouth, that may calm you a bit   >hugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2012 09:22PM »
I usually think of these things in the same way as I think of eating lettuce.  Take a deep breath and get on with it because it is good for you.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2012 11:46AM »
Would it be helpful (and possible) for Mr Sunshine to go with you to the dentist?  I am a dental-phobic myself and for the last two years, Mum or Dad has gone with me - I don't think I could get myself there alone, so once someone else has committed themselves to attending an appointment with me, that sort of sets it in stone because I don't want to let them down by wussing out...

(actually, I have been procrastinating about my own check-up being long overdue  >blush< )

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2012 12:15PM »
 >thankyou<

It might turn out to be a good thing that the tooth broke/chipped, because going to get that sorted should mean I mention the other facial pain then they will give me an xray and I will at least know what next.

Mr Sunshine has to come with me, we say the main reason is I cant wheel myself from the carpark to the dental surgery but we both know that while that is true I do just need a dentist 'buddy'. The waiting room is the hardest, I do try deep breathing but tend to forget and keep holding my breath which leads to means when I breath out ts a loud sigh  >doh<

I do think patient care by dentists is much better than it used to be so my worries and procrastination are down to being a scaredy cat  >blackcat<

Prabhakari

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2012 12:41PM »
Have you thought about hypnosis as a way to control the fear?
It might be possible, provided one can afford it, of course.
Not to mention getting to see one, and having access.

Time compression is one way hypnosis can help; forgetting the experience afterwards...

On the other hand, perhaps the dentist has a large mallet.....  >yikes<
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2012 07:31PM »
ditto, as kizzy says:

"actually, I have been procrastinating about my own check-up being long overdue"

Maybe we should all make a pact and go on the same day and report back when we have our appointments? 

What do you think Kizzy and everyone else who is in the same position?  But we have to do it before or after the school holidays.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2012 07:52PM »
 >yikes<

>runforthehills<

I'll try and make myself phone for an appointment - if I've not been struck off the list for non-attendance at the requisite times, that is  >erm<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2012 07:55PM »
If you do that Kizzy let me know  and I will do it too. 

I've been meaning to do this for over a year.  My surgery no longer sends out reminders so it has just kept slipping.  However,  the vets always remind me when doggies next check-up is due.  So how come they can get themselves organised but the dentist cannot?