Author Topic: leaving motability  (Read 3206 times)

hemiman

• Silver Member
leaving motability
« on: 04 Jan 2012 03:30PM »
Hi

I am considering leaving motability when my lease ends in June. I've done 35000 miles so can't extend, my concern is insurance as i don't think you qualify for no claims with motability. Has anyone left the scheme and got insured no problem? I hope to purchase my current car off them.

many thanks and happy 2012 to you all.

suessad

Re: leaving motability
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jan 2012 08:01PM »
Hi hemiman

I'm not sure how it works, but just a suggestion.
The firm motability insured you with might re-new it for you and allow the 3 years no-claim.
Worth asking.
Happy 2012 to you.  >hugs<

janetb

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan 2012 09:26PM »
I left Motability and had no problem getting insured. Motability, if asked, will send a letter detailing your claim history.
Janet

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jan 2012 10:00AM »
Heniman,

Did you ring anyone or go online to get a quote yet? It is just whether or not you are able to get a no claims bonus might not make a big difference to whether or not you can afford to come off Motability.

Prior to getting a Motability care myself my insurance was around £400 with the AA, and because the car I had then was paid for it meant total cost ran cheaper than a Motability car would have. For me the difference came after mr Sunshine was in an accident and the insurance premium went up to £800 because his no claims was gone. Also want to get a better car than I currently had and it was affordable with Motability.

What I am trying to say is there are a lot of factors you need to decide on and that includes getting the infomation from car insurers.

lankylonglegs

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2012 03:05PM »
Although I do not have personal experience I was told by Motability themselves that if you switch over to insuring your car itself and you contact the sister company of RSA (Motab's insurers) which I believe is called More Than they will transfer your no claims bonus over for you and credit it to your new insurance policy. Speak to Motability and they will advise you.  >thumbsup<

catspjs

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2012 04:15PM »
remeber to factor in repair costs, MOTS &  new tyres etc.   its something I would consider if I had someone who could fix and maintain it for me.

good luck