Forum > Health and Disability

Making life easier in various small ways

<< < (3/6) > >>

NeuralgicNeurotic:
Cheers, Kizzy >tah<

AndMac:
Ooh, I'm honoured. I'm sticky!
Today, I had a triumph for me when I fixed my rollator to the trike using a heavy duty luggage strap - a lovely rainbow one I was sent to review - and the rollator came shopping with me.

This meant I could walk around those shops that don't have shopping trolleys in comfort.

This effectively is every store locally, except those with trolleys! These are Aldi, Heron Foods, Wilko's and Aldi plus Tesco -which I visit about once every six weeks.

Today I walked around Select and got some new clothes with £25's worth Love 2 Shop vouchers I won in a prize draw. I got a pair of loose floaty elastic waisted trousers, two pairs of leggings and a long skirt. I then had a quick stroll around Wilko's and Poundworld.

I reckon that it should be possible to strap a rollator to the back of most mobility scooters with a similar sort of strap. This is the two pack I got, but I notice that identical ones are available on Amazon for a lower price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Luggage-Suitcase-Security-Colorized/dp/B018KL2QF2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1465412618&sr=8-10&keywords=luggage+straps+rainbow

Latest discovery that may help others:

I was using floor cleaning wipes to clean my hard floors rather than a mop and bucket, but have now discovered that an all purpose spray and microfibre cloth is more efficient - and environmentally friendly, and just leaves me with one microfibre cloth to wash rather than a pile of wipes to dispose of. I push the cloth around with a foot or one of my walking sticks.

AndMac:
Some culinary tweaks:
I have a microwave and combi oven because the oven is difficult to use. The combi does most things but I've discovered it's absolutely amazing what you can cook in the micro.

Rice, of all descriptions. You can do risotto easily by just stopping the micro every few minutes to add stock to the deep bowl / dish the risotto is in.
You can do bog standard rice easily, though do rinse it very thoroughly to get shot of all the excess starch. Just cover with salted boiling water and cook for 10 minutes or so, if Basmati. Longer for white and longer still for brown rice.

Pasta, of all types. Cook as for rice, about 10 mins

Onions I cook onions in the microwave if gentle frying is required. Depending on the quantity they soften in a few minutes, they always take 10-15 on the stove. No fat needed, so healthier.  Just a tiny splash of water or no water depending on your preference.

Stove top flatbreads. Adding milk, yoghurt or oil and water to self raising flour or plain flour with baking powder in, plus some salt, gives you a pastry like dough that you can roll out. Add more flour if you find the dough sticky and add the liquid sparingly.
Knead dough a few times and roll out small circles a bit smaller than your frying pan.
Heat the pan on the stove top and toast each circle for 1-2 mins each side.
The ones made with milk and yoghurt are just like restaurant flatbreads.
The ones made with olive oil and water are more like pastry.
Eat with butter or you can also use it as a pizza base. Useful if you have run out of bread and have no yeast to do your own.

KizzyKazaer:
 >tah< for these kitchen tips, AndMac - might even give a couple of them a go  ;-)

NeuralgicNeurotic:

--- Quote ---I also use big plastic tubs - sold as garden tubs or horse feed tubs - for carting stuff from A-B. They can be kicked along the floor easily, or nudged with my stick. They are more stable than washing baskets but serve this purpose, as well as doing things like carting parcels from the postman/Amazon delivery bloke.
--- End quote ---

I use an old kerbside recycling boxes for this purpose. The ones we have here are nice, deep, sturdy rectangular affairs made of tough recycled plastic. It's easy to chuck small binbags into it, then in my wheelchair, push it down the ramp and round to the bin, using my feet against the narrow end of the box. I can then employ a grabber to remove the bags, and chuck them into the bin. I use the same pushing technique to get the emptied wheelie bin from the end of the entry where the binmen leave it, to the back of our house. 

And may I say a few words in praise of the humble bum bag? These can come in really handy when out and about. I can't wear mine comfortably round my waist, but it clips securely on to my wheelchair, and sits disctreetly at my hip, providing a handy pocket for shopping money, lists, keys, mobile phone, bottle of water, meds etc. It means that the backpack I keep on the back of the wheelchair can be used exclusively to carry shopping, and dispenses with the need for a coat when out on hot days - a major plus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version