Forum > Health and Disability

Sunflower Lanyard

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sunshine Meadows:

--- Quote ---Emergency Contact Details and your hidden disability, and I would suggest buying the covers to go over the card as it will a) protect the writing and b) stop the hole on the card pulling through.
--- End quote ---
Good idea  >thumbsup<

There was a item on this on the BBC2 Victoria Derbyshire program the other day and they showed the lanyard and explained its use. There were three disabled people and a representitive from Marks and Spencers all taking about the benefits of people wearing the lanyard and talking about some of the countries  companies taking part already.

Fiz:
I have a sunflower lanyard. It was posted to me free by a North London train company. I've worn it on trains and so far haven't noticed any difference in the help that I  have received but the lanyards existance is evidence that hidden disabilities are becoming more widely recognised which is excellent

Sunny Clouds:
As an aside on emergency details...

Not instead of putting them on a Sunflower Card, but as well...

I carry my disabled bus pass, usually clipped to my waistband but sometimes in a pocket, and on the reverse (visible on the back of the holder I've got it in) is a card with key details including NHS number and GP name and phone number.

On one occasion a couple of years ago when I was in hospital being checked out for concussion, I found as I left that they'd found my card and put it on the counter next to my chart. 

So if you have something that would be quickly spotted by someone helping when you can't communicate or can only communicate in a limited fashion, it's worth also putting the details there.

Which brings me full-circle to the Sunflower Lanyards because for those that feel comfortable wearing them, even without additional info on them, my guess is that they'd also be useful if you have an accident to warn emergency personnel that you have at least one hidden disability.

Fiz:
The card in my plastic lanyard sleeve fell out while I was in B&Q. I realised as soon as I was back at my car and thought briefly about going back to look for it but pain stopped me and I just didn't have the spoons. I am upset as it has my full name on it and my physical and mental health conditions written on it which is a lot of information to have lying around somewhere.

I have ordered a new plastic printed card from the invisible disabilities website to go in the plastic sleeve. This time I am only choosing to provide my first name and I have chosen a multiple disabilities card and have listed my four spinal conditions and I am not mentioning any mental health problems. I will secure it far more securely in the plastic sleeve so it doesn't fall out! I have used the card regularly always because of my spine conditions make it painful to stand or walk, never because of mental health problems so this makes sense to me. My first name is all that people need to know. Ho hum! Lesson learnt! But as it has been very useful I have ordered another. The new card has my photo on it too. Very updated from the old piece of card you used to write on!

Sunny Clouds:
Is there some way of securing the card in the sleeve, or even of replacing the standard sleeve with a more secure cardholder? 

I must admit I'd hesitate to wear a lanyard these days, but that's because where I live (and I'm not assuming it's like this in other places) lanyards are being used by people who aren't wearing masks on buses etc. as a way of saying they're exempt and I think that in many places people now think sunflower lanyards are specifically about masks.

Sadly,  in some places it's very evident that there are quite a few people who are just faking it.  I base this not on a quick glance at people, but on overhearing what they say (boastfully loudly) and what people say in groups.  E.g. in local area, groups of certain sorts of people laughing about making sure everyone in the group has a lanyard so they don't have to bother with masks.

That then has the unpleasant knock-on of giving people in some places the notion that sunflower lanyards are just about masks and the perception that they are frequently or typically just a sham.

Some of us still remind ourselves every time we see one not to make assumptions, but not everyone does that, I think. 

I used to feel angry about this sort of thing, but now I feel more weary.  For a while in the pandemic, I thought how good it would be if instead there was an official mask exemption scheme with official badges or whatever, but then thought it'd be assessed by the usual greedy, nasty government contractor companies, and people would soon work out how to fake the badges anyway.

Sudden thought - imagine if there'd been a campaign where maskwearers entitled to lanyards had taken care always to wear a lanyard plus a badge saying something like "I'm entitled to the lanyard.  Some people aren't.  You can't tell which by looking."

Meanwhile, I wonder how long it will be before someone has to come up with an alternative to the sunflower lanyard, something that is explicitly not about mask wearing, and launched with advertising, which would make people in places like mine more aware of invisible disability and the need to be helpful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version