Author Topic: Muscle Pain and spasms.  (Read 7928 times)

Richard_D

Muscle Pain and spasms.
« on: 22 Nov 2011 08:11PM »
I get muscle pain and spasms in my body, mainly legs especially my feet.  :-(
A hot water bottle helps a little bit.

Does anyone else have similar problems and what do you do to make it more bearable?
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

nessarose

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Re: Muscle Pain and spasms.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2011 08:14PM »
i have same issue hot bath an a massage usualy works
Imperfection is beauty ~ Marilyn Monroe

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2011 05:29PM »
Dark_Divinity,

Muscle pain and spasms can be caused by allsorts of things and there are medications out there that can help eg I take Baclofen for CP symptoms. I think you would need to as your GP about them to know how best to treat the pain and spasms. That being said last night I sat still for too long and it has given me a neck/back spasm I am taking Ibruprofen and it isi helping a bit.

Richard_D

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2011 06:50PM »
Dark_Divinity,

Muscle pain and spasms can be caused by allsorts of things and there are medications out there that can help eg I take Baclofen for CP symptoms. I think you would need to as your GP about them to know how best to treat the pain and spasms. That being said last night I sat still for too long and it has given me a neck/back spasm I am taking Ibruprofen and it isi helping a bit.

I will try to do that at some point, even though the diagnosis they have given me and the way I feel that they have treated me gives me the impression that I am bothering them without good reason and creating more work and hassle for them. I guess I just have to be more patient and pick the right moment to talk to them about it.

WheeledTraveler

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2011 01:31PM »
If you have access to a bathtub, a warm to hot bath with epsom salts is one of the better things I've found for muscle spasm.

Richard_D

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2011 01:48PM »
If you have access to a bathtub, a warm to hot bath with epsom salts is one of the better things I've found for muscle spasm.

Thank-you, I will try that and see what happens. :)

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2011 05:02PM »
Thanks for this. Muscle spasms are new to me, only developed them in the last 10 years, mind you prior to that I wasn't your typical CP'er as I didn't have arthritis. I could run fast when I had to and used to walk for miles. Epsom salts have been recommended for the fluid retention I suffer from as well.
I also get tightening related to my plantar fasciitis (sp) and tendonitis. That can be an absolute horror, sometimes if feels as if the tendon has tightened so much it is on the point of snapping.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2011 02:58AM »
Baths are very good pain-managers in my experience.  That is why I will never have a shower cubicle instead of a bath.  All that lovely warm water really does work, and in the middle ofthe night it feels wonderfully luxurious .

Annoyingly my central heating system has packed up so no hot water at the moment - and I am not calling out a plumber at the weekend.  (I had a small leak in the bathroom cupboard and I got charged £250 for the repair from a proper plumbing company on a weekday.  What can you do but pay up?)  I am beginning to feel the difference in pain levels after two days.

Yvette

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2011 10:46AM »
I had a small leak in the bathroom cupboard and I got charged £250 for the repair from a proper plumbing company on a weekday.    >yikes<

Daylight robbery.

I have a plumbing insurance and it has saved me a fortune - I have had far more back in work done than the premiums I've ever paid. Plus, in an emergency they come out at weekends and do the work really quickly.

http://www.homeserve.com/insurance/plumbing-drainage-insurance-comparison.aspx

I also have an electricity insurance too and that too has saved me a fortune:

http://www.homeserve.com/insurance/electrical-emergency-and-breakdown-cover-flexi.aspx

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2011 06:54PM »

Yvette, thats a really good price, i have the british gas insurance, £20 per month which covers, annual boiler service, breakdown of boiler and radiators, pipes, and anything that is connected to the central heating, switches, controls etc.  But i think the homeserve link is a cheaper option for more, i will have to look into it,

I needed a plumber to change the tap in the kitchen and sort out the downstairs toilet oveflow pipe which was dripping and that cost me £137, he was only here for 40 mins,  >yikes<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2011 08:39PM »
Hmm, I've had 'homeserve' in as part of my house insurance deal.  What a rubbishy firm they turned out to be.  They caused more damage than they came to repair.  In the end I was soo fed up with having to get lots of different things repaired that they had damaged or not painted correctly. 

All the workmen came from a great distance away and seemed not to be skilled at what they were meant to be doing and were also pretty fed up.  A right shower, in my opinion.  Maybe your experience is different. 

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2011 08:47PM »

>yikes< >yikes< Auntie, that awful, i will still have a look into the homeserve, but i am pleased with the british gas service i get.  The chap came last week for the annual service and he gave my boiler a good old service and checked all the radiators and pipes, and if anything goes wrong with the central heating they come out 24/7 which is a life saver,

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2011 08:57PM »
Yes, and what is even more awful is that I had previously gone to the plumbing place down the end of my road and one of the chaps who works there said that he would come and do the repair.  Twice he promised and twice he did not come.  So I was forced to ring up a firm from the yellow pages. 

So I did try to get a better price for the job;  it just did not work out.

Yvette

« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2011 10:52PM »
I'm really sorry to hear about your dreadful Homeserve experience, Auntie.

I have to admit all the times I've called them out, they have been brilliant. 

Homeserve subcontract local firms to undertake the work, so I'm very fortunate in that the firms who have been out to me (so far) have been excellent.

Homeserve have always rung me a week or so later to ask for a report on the work done and go through a questionnaire to mark the quality of the work done.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: 29 Nov 2011 06:26PM »
I didn't have a good experience with British Gas, and Homeserve experiences seem to vary enormously depending on where you are. I paid out a lot of money to British Gas who kept cancelling the annual service with less than 24 hours notice. I went 18 months without a service. At the start of my agreement with BG I also went three weeks without a boiler and hot water in the depths of winter when they struggled to repair a boiler that was admittedly cheap, but also only three years old at the time.

This year I got the system replaced under Warm Front - I was probably one of the last persons to have this done on the scheme, as it stood. I wouldn't be entitled now.  I'm not due a service until next April and touching wood, the system is running well.

Before the British Gas saga started I paid out a lot of money to keep an elderly, very expensive make of boiler running. I had similar experiences to Yvette - when the house is cold and you have no hot water, you have no choice.

We're way off topic...  I'm so grateful my spasms aren't worse, as having a bath isn't an option any more.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker