Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 399 times)

Jockice

• Charter Member
I'm back!
« on: 20 Nov 2022 10:02AM »
Good morning everyone. Hope you're all as well as possible. Sorry I haven't been around for a while. There's being a lot going on in my life and the lives of my nearest and dearest. I also (traitor that I am) started posting on another forum. This was not a disability-specific one though, and (apart from a very few decent members) any mention of discrimination I'd experienced (in life and on the site) was met with either incomprehension, disbelief or even abuse. That's when it was acknowledged at all. I bet they all think they're for disability rights though...except when an actual disabled person talks about these rights, then they suddenly change their tune. Oh no, they couldn't possibly be prejudiced, could they? Must be my fault. I was asking for it.

II ended up telling them to...er...go away. But that whole story's for another time. On here I know that people will have had similar experiences to me, so I feel like this is a safe space for me if you'll all forgive me for my treachery. I'm coming home, I've done my time...

Anyway, I have some (sort of) news. One of the recent diversions in my life is that I've become a playwright! I don't know if any of you live in the Coventry area and are free on Friday, but if so you'd be welcome to come. It's free entry if you click on the link. As you can see, it's an all-disabled creative team, and although the subject matter may seem a bit dark there are a few jokes in it, as well as references to about 150 songs and a pop quiz. Not sure if there'll be a prize though. That's out of my hands.

If any of you do make it, come over and introduce yourself to me.  Be lovely to meet you. And I will be posting on here more often from now on. Honest. I've learned my lesson. Don't try to educate arseholes on disability matters. It's a waste of everybody's time.

https://www.belgrade.co.uk/events/work-in-progress-sharing-a-different-kind-of-attention/

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
Re: I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2022 11:49AM »
Hiya!
Good to see you back here .

I love the sound of your play and wish I was closer to Coventry to pop in and see the performance.
Break a leg - in the best intentioned way of course  :f_laugh:

I look forward to hearing about more of your antics now you are back.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2022 12:21PM »
Hiya Ditchdwellers. Lovely to speak to you again.

Yeah, Coventry is a bit of a strange place to hold it. I've only been once in my life (and this was to a meeting about this) and know literally nobody there apart from those I met at the meeting. Well I'm Facebook friends with one person from there but don't think I've met him in real life. Although his sister lives about a mile away from me. And I've never knowingly met her either.

It all came about due to a course in Leeds I did earlier this year and the theatre in Coventry decided to sponsor a full-length version of the short show that was performed there. We're going to be working on it all week. Haven't a clue how it'll go. The other guys have loads of experience, I have practically none. Although I did have another short play performed locally last month. That wasn't about disability though. It was set at a funeral.

I intend to break a leg and several other things. So fingers crossed. Although I have broken a few of them in my time.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2022 07:05PM »
I hope the performance goes well.

I can get there by train from where I am but I'm not sure if I can get my act together psychologically and one of my hearing aids is broken. 

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2022 10:18PM »
How big is the room it's in and is there a big gap between stage and audience?  I don't mean precise details.  I just mean big, echoey auditorium or room more like a classroom.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2022 04:05PM »
Hello there, stranger!

I ended up telling them to...er...go away.

Oh, we absolutely must be told the full story  :f_biggrin:

I'm afraid I live a little too far away from Coventry, but great what you're doing there  :thumbsup:

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2022 11:45AM »
Jockice,

Good to see you back here. Sorry that you experiences horridness ant the other place, thank you for reminding me why Ouch Too is here.

Good luck in you playwrighting endeavours. Maybe you could get some of it filmed and put up on You Tube. I would love to see how it goes.

I checked out the link

A Different Kind Of Attention is brought to you by a trio of disabled theatre creatives – writer John Quinn, director Steven George and actor Dan Edge. They have used their real-life experiences of being ‘othered’ to make a piece looking at the experiences of an aspiring pop hero, who loses his credibility, his fan-base and his sex symbol status. He sees a side of life that most ‘normal’ people don’t due to a medical trauma which has far-reaching consequences for him and his family. But maybe his love and knowledge of music can help get him through it and readjust to his new form of existence.
Both Steve and Dan have many years of acting and theatrical industry experience, both on and offstage, while John is a first-time playwright who has used his previous career as a music journalist to create the character.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2022 08:26PM »
I'm hoping I'll get it together to get there.  I've got my ticket, although I was panicking when, after I filled the online form in, it said I'd get an e-ticket.  I thought that meant I had to have a smartphone and scan it when I got there, but it turned out to be printable. 

I've also printed a map of the bit of Coventry round the railway station and the theatre.

If I don't get there, it won't be that I think it's not worth it, it's just  that it's a daily battle fighting the combination of depression and fatigue.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2022 10:48PM »
I got there and back home again and now I'm seriously brain-fogged with fatigue, but not so much that I can't pop in here to say how great the show was.

I rarely go to the theatre.  I sort of had a notion that a play is something where you get loads of people talking to one another and a plot and some sort of grand finale or something.

By contrast, this play was for me the dramatic/spoken version of a ballad.  I love balladic music.  Think of ballads, whether folk music or pop music, where a story is told by the singer.  To me, the music in the song is the 'emotion', and the singer is 'telling the story of something that happened'.

The actor was the spoken version of that but with music.  Wow, I never realised there was drama that I'd feel like that about.

When the play started, I struggled to hear because one of my hearing aids is broken, and the other badly needs adjusting, then I suddenly realised the words were projected onto the wall above the actor.  Wow!!!  Well, of course, I should expect a 'disability' play to be disability-friendly, but this was above and beyond.

At the end, the audience was asked for feedback and a lovely fellow audience member repeated the questions for me.

The only negative was that the audience wasn't very big.  A fantastic play, very obviously enjoyed by people there.  I chatted with another audience member, who seemed to be not much into the music, but gave me to understand that he really enjoyed it.  Two of us enjoying it in different ways.

I cried quite a bit, both tears of joy at the discovery of the subtitles (surtitles?) and at some of the things the actor said.

So I don't know what a drama critic would say, but this particular audience member considered it well worth the visit.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2022 12:01AM »
Hiya everyone. Sorry, I haven't been reading messages this week. I've been in Coventry working. Well, not so much working as watching Steve and Dan work and making the odd suggestion.

Sunny Clouds, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you and thanks ever so much for coming. I've never really done this sort of thing before but the others said you shouldn't expect big audiences for works in progress, especially in somewhere you don't live or really know anyone. Steve's a Londoner and Dan's from Northampton. They've been in the business years and they say things usually start off small. Plus we had a dress rehearsal a couple of hours before and a few people turned up (including from Sheffield, where I live) for that as they couldn't make the later show. So I'm very satisfied with the way it went. It's been filmed anyway and apparently there's already some interest from other theatres so it's looking good.

I'm not an actor but Dan totally nailed the part and Steve's cameo which I was initially reluctant about including (although I did write it apart from the bits he improvised) was bloody brilliant. We may also be doing a full band version at some point too.

Everyone there seemed to enjoy it anyway and gave us great feedback. So it ain't over yet. Certainly not in Coventry anyway. They even gave us free tickets for the panto afterwards. Oh yes they did!

Anyway, we've done a playlist of the (150!) songs referred to in it, which we're going to make available. In fact one of the artists with a couple of songs in it is on telly at the moment. It's once, twice, three times...nah, I'm not going to ruin the joke here. You'll understand if you see the show.

Anyway, I must try and get some sleep now. I'm shattered. My name's Jockice, thank you and goodnight.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2022 11:08AM »
I hope I wasn't being critical mentioning the size of the audience.  My feeling wasn't "Something went wrong, why aren't there more people?"  it was "I really enjoyed that, I wish more people had been there to share my enjoyment."

I'm a bit disappointed you're only very satisfied with how it went.  You should be very, very, very satisfied!

It's interesting how our brains register things differently.  I was initially surprised when you mentioned the number of songs, because of the way I registered them, not as "Oh, yes, that's such-and-such a song" but "That encapsulates it perfectly."  Yet there must have been audience members that were familiar with lots of the songs and had all sorts of mental and emotional associations as each clip was played.

I've had a weird week for learning.  I've learnt from your play aspects of plays and how I can enjoy them, in the same week as a musician friend explained to me that when there's silence in some music, the silence is usually part of the music, not a gap between music.

My big disappointment is that there wasn't a booklet listing oodles of other plays by you, all local!  (Yes, I'm greedy as well as naughty.)

But I'm no theatre critic with the right jargon, knowledge or whatever, just someone who got great pleasure out of the performance.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2022 12:43AM »
Aargh, now that Jockice's play reminded me of Ian Dury singing Spasticus Autisticus, I've been stuck listening to it over and over again.  That's the trouble with really, really good theatre - the effect doesn't stop when you go home!

Gosh, I've been feeling so bloody depressed and particularly hung up on things like local and political attitudes towards disabled people and I sat there in that auditorium feeling 'safe' being disabled. 

Yet I have to fight the sense of worry that Jockice may think I'm saying all this just to be flattering, and can only trust that you all know me well enough to know that I'm not.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2022 12:20PM »
I'm so sorry to have missed it. I wish I could have seen it and participated.

Good luck with the future developments of the play Jockice. It sounds like you're on to a winner with this. Congratulations to you and all involved.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2022 01:46PM »
Hello again. I sent a reply yesterday on my way home but it seems to have vanished. Serves me right for starting it in the Premier Inn in Binley and finishing it and sending it (apparently) at Leicester Forest services. I went straight to bed when I got home. I'm sort of waking up a bit now. It's been a bit of a stressful week. In a good way.

I'm ever so glad you enjoyed it Sunny Clouds and Dan, Steve and I are working on ways to make it more accessible and interactive. And when we do, we promise to do it a bit closer than home for you. Even with your free travel pass. I've also passed your comments onto the other two. Hope you don't mind but any feedback is welcome. And I don't mean an early Jesus And Mary Chain single. Even the one that's referenced during the play.

Thanks for your kind words too Ditchdwellers and nice to speak to you again Sunshine Meadows and Kizzy. Don't worry, I'll be hanging around now.

I don't know if any of you (apart from SM, who I'm friends with) use Facebook, but here's my post about the week. With pictures. Even if you're not on there, it's on a public setting as I have no shame or self-awareness. At least according to some **** from the forum I'm not a member of anymore.

Cheers. I'm back where I belong now.  https://www.facebook.com/john.quinn.3150

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2022 04:23PM »
....some **** from the forum I'm not a member of anymore.

:f_laugh: you're better off out of it, life's too short  :thumbsup: (and *raspberry*! to the lot of 'em)