Author Topic: Cost of living payments  (Read 335 times)

Monic1511

Cost of living payments
« on: 14 Nov 2022 06:24PM »
If you don’t get any means tested benefits but only get PIP/DLA AND have not had the £150 cost of living payment please use the link on the Gov.uk website to report this.
The link asks for your name, address, national insurance number and which benefit

The reason I flagged this is because the government is changing the rules and making Pip/DLA no longer a qualifying benefit

Link [size=78%]https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment#disability-cost-of-living-payment[/size]

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Cost of living payments
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2022 10:35PM »
I'm getting seriously confuddled here and I'm  beginning to think the government's computer algorithms are.  When I looked at the OP, I thought cost of living payment was synonymous with warm home discount, before clicking on the link and realising that it's not.

Else-site I've been discussing WHD because I had a letter saying I was getting it because I was in receipt of a 'qualifying means-tested benefit or a tax credit'.  I'm not on any means-tested benefit or tax credit.  I phoned up and the call handler was clueless (not his fault if he's not been briefed properly).  I looked on the gov.uk website and went through the 'are you eligible' thing twice, once saying I'd had a leter, with the code on it, which produced the result yes, and once saying I didn't know if I'd had a letter, and finding no box to tick for PIP (or 'new-style' ESA either), it said no.  I called the number on the letter again and the person fed my details in the computer but couldn't work out why I'd be eligible.

Researching, I found that the government had said it was withdrawing eligibility for WHD on the basis of PIP, but someone told me they'd restored it.  What I couldn't work out was whether (a) they'd done a U-turn and it makes you eligible but they hadn't updated gov-uk, or (b) they hadn't done a U-turn but hadn't updated the computer algorithms for awarding it.

So I rather suppose the systems for the CLP will be as badly set-up/adjusted.

That being so, thank you for alerting us to the need to claim CLP.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2022 10:44PM »
Actually, leaving aside my comparison with WHD, I've just looked at my bank statement about COL payments.  I got it.  But I'd thought it was the payment I'd applied to my council for.

I've now looked on my council's site, and it mentions a £150 cost of living council tax rebate.  But that's not what it would have been called if I applied for it, because I don't pay council tax.  (Severe mental impairment exemption because of bipolar disorder - which I bet most of my fellow mad'uns don't apply for where I am because they now splash the word 'dementia' all over the relevant pages of their website and application form.)

This is so expletive complicated, which I bet it's meant to be.  The more complicated they make it, the more people that won't apply.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Monic1511

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2022 10:47PM »
Sunny

I raised this because the government is changing the criteria for the £150 cost of living payments for people who are in receipt of DLA or PIP. On the Gov website there was a link that was headed “report if you have not received the disabled cost of living payment “. I checked my bank and no payment was there, so reported it and within 7 days the money was in my bank.

Now the government is saying that PIP alone isn’t enough to get the £150 which is why I’m asking anyone not on income related benefit but getting PIP to chase this before the government pulls it completely.

As you experienced phoning seems to be a waste of time, if you can use the link as it should work.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2022 12:19AM »
Thanks, Monic.

I seem to have had the cost of living thing.  I was just confused because I thought until you started this thread that what had landed in my bank was what I'd applied to the council for, and now I'm wondering whether I am or am not entitled to a local grant.

It is so good of you to keep posting stuff over time prompting us to make sure we're getting all we should be, and giving us links.  I'm feeling rough at the moment and I cling onto every little bit of thoughtfulness and niceness I encounter in the world and your generosity in using your combination of advice skills, technical know-how and keeping up with benefits news is an example of the sort of thing that reminds me of the kindness in the world.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2022 10:05AM »
Thanks for keeping us updated in this ever changing financial situation Monic.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2022 05:46PM »
Is the £150 cost-of-living payment not replacing the Warm Home Discount as I (perhaps wrongly) assumed?

Monic1511

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2022 07:30PM »
Hi Kizzy
No, the £150 cost of living for those on disability benefits is different from the warm home discount.
This is the link to the update on 24/11/22

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2022 04:20PM »
Thanks Monic, fortunately I seem to have received all the COL payments without having to hassle the DWP!