Author Topic: Cost of living payments  (Read 1126 times)

Monic1511

Re: Cost of living payments
« Reply #15 on: 01 Dec 2022 07:56AM »
Hi
The water charges in Scotland are different from England in that Scotland collects its water and sewerage charge as part of council tax and anyone with a severe mental impairment exemption doesn’t pay the water charges either.   This system creates its own problems- anyone who gets full council tax reduction because they’re on income related benefits is still charged for water and sewerage rates based on their council tax band.  If they don’t pay it they end up getting a bill from the sheriff officers who add on charges, their £200/year bill goes up to £300.  It eventually gets sent to DWP for direct deductions and if you ask someone “are you paying the council tax water charge “ they tell you “it comes off my benefit “.   I then have to explain that’s only they debt, not the current years charge.  Now councils apply for water direct and DWP deduct £8/week from their benefit which is worse imo.

Does your water company know you have a council tax exemption? It might be worth asking if you’re still liable.
It was pointed out to Gov when they sold off the water boards that they would create health issues as folk can’t afford to,pay water as well.

Since the system keeps changing it might be worth getting another benefit check from citizens advice just to see if you are eligible for anything that’s means tested

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Cost of living payments
« Reply #16 on: 01 Dec 2022 03:51PM »
Personally, I'm not eligible any more for anything means-tested, thanks to inheriting savings from my parents, and I'm very aware of my privilege, having previously had what I'll call 'go hungry' times in my life.

But I think it would pay me to find out what the water situation is for others where I live, so that I can pass word on to others less privileged than me, people who are now where I was in the past.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)