Author Topic: Very Poorly Dog  (Read 743 times)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
Very Poorly Dog
« on: 03 Nov 2022 11:10AM »
My old boy Benji has had chronic pancreatitis for some time and it has finally got the better of him.  :f_wah:

After trying every brand of low fat foods imaginable, cooking low fat food, even trying venison, he hasn't been eating properly for months and has dropped from 24kg to just 16kg. Yesterday the vet said he has reached the point of no return.

He's still happy in himself, waggy tail, wanting cuddles, and acting the fool yet he's just so heart breakingly skinny :f_sadface:

We've decided that this will be his last weekend. We're going to pamper him and then arrange for him to make the final journey one day next week.
I hate having to make these decisions but we don't want him to be in pain and suffer.

lankou

• Access All Areas
Re: Very Poorly Dog
« Reply #1 on: 03 Nov 2022 11:48AM »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 03 Nov 2022 12:36PM »
It is such a upsetting decision to make, take heart that you are doing your best and Benji will gently go over the Rainbow Bridge to be with old friends. They are waiting for your time  to come and all to be together again  :heart: :big_hugs:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 03 Nov 2022 02:10PM »
I made that decision twice with cats.  One had cancer, and although it sounds awful, I can't remember about the other one after all this time, just that it was terminal.

My experience with vets and end of life was so gentle and kind. The one cat was the loveliest companion I ever had and I was allowed to hold him, to cuddle him, which he clearly wanted, as the vet gave him his injection.  The other cat had a different temperament, wanting to play and be skittish, and the vet found she was calmer without me in the room.

Love to you, DD, and to Benji.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #4 on: 04 Nov 2022 01:15PM »
Thank Iankou for that beautiful piece of music. It brought forth a whole range of emotions. I'm grateful to you  :f_hug:

To Sunshine and Sunny, I know you have both been in similar situations with much loved pets before and I know it's the right decision to make for him.
We've been faced with the same issue with Harvey and Barney so know it's the most loving thing we can do for Benji. It doesn't make saying goodbye any easier though.  :heart:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 04 Nov 2022 03:18PM »
No, not easy.

More hugs for you and Benji.

:big_hugs: :big_hugs:

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2022 02:56PM »
 :heart: :f_hug:

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 05 Nov 2022 09:19PM »
DD, so sorry Benji's treatment didn't work out - this is your last act of kindness for him as his owner, but I know from having three previous cats put to sleep that a loss is a loss all the same.  I send you sympathy and strength x

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2022 11:23AM »
 :heart: :f_hug: think of you both and Benji.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2022 02:08PM »
Thank you so much everyone  :big_hugs:

Tomorrow is the dreaded day. I made the appointment on Monday morning and sobbed uncontrollably when I got off the phone.
Benji had a good walk in the park this morning and met some of his friends. He's been mostly sleeping since, and seems quite content and isn't in any pain yet or doesn't appear to be. He's painfully thin now and a third of the weight he was a few months ago. The speed he's gone downhill is frightening.
I'm not looking forward to tomorrow but I know now is the right time before things get worse.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 08 Nov 2022 02:20PM »
 :big_hugs:  you are doing the best for Benji  :heart:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 08 Nov 2022 03:56PM »
More hugs to take with you and Benji tomorrow...

:big_hugs: :big_hugs:

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2022 11:37AM »
This morning feels very quiet. I feel flat. There's nobody watching me from the sofa, or padding after me when I go to the kitchen. I miss his presence.

It will take a few days to get out of the usual routine.  :f_wah:

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2022 02:29PM »
 :big_hugs:

I am thinking of you and yes it takes time  :f_peacedove:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2022 05:53PM »
DD - it can be almost eerie when you lose a pet.  I hope that whilst good memories of Benji last, those "He's not there" and sometimes "Where is he? Oh..." moments start fading bearably soon.