Author Topic: How to Fill in a PIP Review Form  (Read 2711 times)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
How to Fill in a PIP Review Form
« on: 01 Jul 2022 10:11AM »
I've just received my PIP review form through the post, what joy, and it's so different from the usual PIP forms that I want to make sure that I understand how to complete it properly.

From what I've read, it seems that they are only interested in how or if my conditions have changed since my last assessment. Is this correct?

I have until July 22nd to return the form and have a copy of my last PIP form to refer to.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be immensely grateful.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: How to Fill in a PIP Review Form
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2022 11:23AM »
A concept - see form filling linguistically and translate your needs from 'Claimantspeak' into 'Assessorspeak'.

If I limp, for me it's a sign of strength and adaptation, using the bits of me that work to compensate for the bits that don't.  For an assessor, what  matters is if limping is a sign of weakness, if bits of me don't work properly.

An example of a 'Do not'. 

Personally I have a bad habit I urge others not to copy.  When filling in forms for myself, I panic and defensively go into absurd detail, nitpicking, hair-splitting, technical terminology etc. to the point of panic-stricken counter-productiveness.  Don't, don't, don't!!!  E.g. assessor thought 'attentional memory problems' meant 'dementia' and asked my GP if I had dementia or 'mild cognitive impairment', i.e. euphemism for early dementia.   Which brings me to my second point...

An example of a 'Do'.  An example of 'translation' that has worked for me in a range of form-filling contexts when I use it, which I always have when filling in forms for others.  (I have raised seven figures in funding from grants this way.) 

I looked in despair at some grant forms.  I wanted funding for providing help for people in an inner city area.  I  needed to prove that the demographics of the people our charity helped mapped onto local demographics.  But the official statistical boundaries were based around ward & constituency & city boundaries, not around our catchment area, which overlapped statistical areas.  Well, we just accepted anyone that wanted & needed our help.  Stuff what colour, religion, nationality, social class or whatever they were.  If they needed extra help to use our services, we fixed it up for them.  But the people assessing applications didn't know that.

Hmm, what to do?  I got it.  Don't divide by 'ethnicity' or 'nationality' or 'religion'.  Divide by generations of immigration.  This generation, parents, or unknown/further back.  Bingo, it mapped on to the official statistics.  If that hadn't worked, I could have tried other methods.

So I didn't misrepresent anything, I found more appropriate way to represent the key information truthfully.  They wanted to know whether we provided services to the local people that needed them without prejudice or exclusion so I found a way to say yes, we did.

To summarise

'Translate' your 'independence needs' from Claimantspeak into Assessorspeak.  Not how you describe them, how they describe them.  Not how you conceptualise them, how they conceptualise them.  Not what you think should gain you points, what they think should gain you points.

You and other regular posters will know me well enough for me not to need to say this to you, but to be clear for any lurkers -  I am not saying misrepresent your needs or lie about them.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Monic1511

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2022 07:55PM »
Hi
What you need to be careful of is the decision they made last time before it went to tribunal (if that happened) is what they base their new decision on. So you need the award letter showing what points you were awarded last time.
For example 2 points for food preparation as needs an aid, yes I still need an aid but if you do things slower than last time put that down as it got worse.
If you had to go to tribunal to get additional points I would put in a copy of the tribunal decision notice, the new decision maker is not automatically given that information.

Good luck

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jul 2022 10:23AM »
Sunny, I get your points completely. Thank you, as always for explaining it so well.

Monic, thankfully I have never had to go through an appeal or tribunal. Your suggestion about looking at the points I was awarded last time round for each activity is inspired. I would never have thought to do that so many thanks.

This next week I'm going to spend going to through my last application and copy hospital letters confirming how my conditions have declined and new ones arisen, plus hospital discharge notes, repeat prescription list etc for my supplementary evidence. There's no point adding a Care plan as I don't have a current one. Social Services seem to have conveniently forgotten about me and I haven't seen a social worker for a review in about five or six years! But they keep paying my Direct Payments so that's OK  :f_doh:
Actually, I don't mind too much been left to get on with things, but my Care Plan does need updating desperately. The problem lies with the lack of Social workers in my area and the Council was rated as needing significant improvement within the whole of Social Care a few years ago and there don't seem to any signs of things getting better yet.

Anyway, I'm digressing. Anything to keep me away from that bloody form  :f_laugh:

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2022 11:59AM »
I've finally started on the crazy PIP form!

There are a couple of questions where I need to answer 'no changes since completely last PIP application '.

Anyone any ideas how best I should phrase this? I'm unsure how I should answer it as I don't want to leave it blank or imply that I don't have any needs.

I'm following the advice given, thanks, and have a rough draft prepared minus these couple of questions I'm not sure what to answer with!

Monic1511

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2022 05:28PM »
If you were awarded points for those questions put in the same info as last time, even if you just say I complete this task a lot slower than at my last review. The test is can you do the task repeatedly reliably and safely.
Good luck

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2022 05:47PM »
 :f_ta: Monic - I also received my review form a few days ago (just what I need to be thinking about during a heatwave  :f_doh: ) I think they must be playing catch-up after delaying re-assessments during the worst days of Covid....

So DD, I am with you in spirit - we'll be tackling 'that bloody form' together in a way!

Monic1511

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2022 08:40PM »
At least you got the review form, a friend called to say her PIP is ending in 4 weeks and she hasn’t had a form yet, she phoned and was told she had to make a new claim.  :f_steam:  No she didn’t. She then got a statement of award saying her award was for an ongoing period followed by a PIP 2 saying it ends in 4 weeks.
I phoned them and got passed to the manager who called back after 3 hours to say that they’ll extend the award for 1 year as she’s been misadvised and a renewal will be sent out in December. The manager was brilliant but the system is screwed  :f_doh:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2022 10:04PM »
Bloody ridiculous.

Sadly, I see no sign that any of the candidates to replace Johnson disagrees with 'small state' politics, so staff cuts and poor funding for systems will continue.  All we can do is to share our knowledge and experience to get people through it, whether it's those that do it formally, or those of us that just pass on tips and metaphorically hold people's hands.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2022 09:49AM »
As someone that currently needs that help, I can't begin to tell you I appreciate any and all advice and suggestions.

I really feel the benefit of having a place to come for support and to be able to share my frustrations too!

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2022 09:52AM »
Kizzy  I'm sorry you got the Brown Envelope treatment as well. Good luck! 👍

And thank you again Monic for your wise words  :f_hug:

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2022 03:50PM »
 :big_hugs: :f_peacedove: :f_peacedove: :f_peacedove: :f_smiley: :biggrin:

The big grin is for when you get a good result from sending in your PIP renewals.

ally

• Access All Areas
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2022 10:15PM »
Look at the Pipinfo site which gives you an idea on new case laws,  how to interpret them, and, general help.   Don’t forget to list aids and appliances.  Explain why you need them etc.  for example, an adjustable chair in the kitchen, because you can’t stand for any length Of time etc.
Can You do activities SAFELY in a manner unlikely  to cause  harm to the claimant. Or, to another person either during or after completion of the activity
REPEATEDLY. Means as often as the activity being assessed is reasonably requires to be completed and
IN A REASONABLE TIME PERIOD..  Meaning no more than twice as long as the maximum period a person without a physical or mental condition which limits that persons ability to carry out the activity in question would normally take to complete that activity

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jul 2022 09:03PM »
I wasn't aware of the Pipinfo site - thank you, Ally  :thumbsup: (and thanks Sunshine for your positive vibes!)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2022 02:36PM »
Finally sent off my PIP renewal today  :Cartwheel_by_livius:

I ended up asking for a two week extension which was much needed, and now I just need to wait for the verdict.

Thank you for all the help and advice. It helped immensely.

Kizzy,  how are you getting on with your form?