Author Topic: Getting really creeped out and nervous  (Read 3945 times)

SteveX

Getting really creeped out and nervous
« on: 06 Feb 2017 10:28PM »
Something odd has been going on outside my home since around xmas time, 2-3 times a day there are people stood out there (happening right now, in the cold and the dark!) just standing around giggling and laughing like I don't know what.

I know most would ignore it, but it's really really creeping me the hell out, who stands around in the cold and dark and giggling like young children?   I have no idea what is going on but it really makes me nervous, jittery and sparks off my anxiety. :(

Member of POMMAS

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Getting really creeped out and nervous
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2017 10:37PM »
Teenagers.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2017 11:26PM »
I was saying the same thing to myself the other day,  it was cold, dark wet, who could possibly be hanging around outside???
A quick look out of the upstairs office window;  it was kids with nothing better to do.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2017 11:36PM »
Try not to worry about it Steve.  Teenagers giggle a lot and hang around quite a bit too.  It is probably nothing to do with you.  It is just a coincidence that they are near your house.  It could be anybodies house.

Richard_D

• Charter Member and Volunteer
Getting Really Creeped Out.
« Reply #4 on: 06 Feb 2017 11:37PM »
How many people were there? How old were they? Were they joking/ laughing at each other or smartphones? Could they have waiting for someone in a car to pick them up? Did they face your house or have their backs to you?
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 2017 11:58PM »
A group of teenagers is probably the most likely explanation, but can understand why it would be an anxiety trigger.  >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 Feb 2017 02:41PM »
All the yp around here seem to gather outside my house, no idea why. I suspect their parents have moved them on from outside their own homes because they're too noisy! As far as I know, they've not done any harm here.

SteveX

Re: Getting Really Creeped Out.
« Reply #7 on: 07 Feb 2017 08:15PM »
How many people were there? How old were they? Were they joking/ laughing at each other or smartphones? Could they have waiting for someone in a car to pick them up? Did they face your house or have their backs to you?

How many? it seems to vary but from 2-6
how old?  no idea but I'd guess late teens to mid 20s?
waiting?  unlikely as where they are is not near a road
Not sure where they were facing as a: it is usually dark when they are there and b: I turn my bedroom light off and peek around the curtain so they can't see me. 

The sensible part of my brain says its something and nothing ignore it, but my worry and anxiety part of my brain can sometimes overrule the common sense bit and send me into a depression/worry. 

anyway, thanks for caring.  >bighugs<
Member of POMMAS

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #8 on: 07 Feb 2017 10:09PM »
Hi Steve
I agree with the others its probably teenagers but when this happened to me I phoned the neighbourhood team and asked them to come round to check what they were doing and when they came they spoke to the people and the people moved on. Last resort is the police who will send a car round eventually round and they normally scarper then.  Just tell the authorities that your feeling intimidated by people hanging about outside your home but as a disabled person your scared to speak to them.

Best wishes

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 08 Feb 2017 12:16PM »
I've had this happen, and the key thing I've found when dealing with it in the community (i.e. not on my own doorstep) is making sure there's somewhere for them to move on to.  I don't mean that if you're uncomfortable with them being there that it's your responsibility, just that they're less likely to come back if there's somewhere else to go.

One of the biggest factors round here is where the street lights are.  In other words, if you've nowhere to go to meet your mates (except places that cost money), it makes sense to take factors like your environment into account.  Therefore young people tend to gather round streetlights unless they're worried passing relatives/authorititve grown ups will see them, in which case shadow or behind hedges is better.  The latter is good if they're smoking or drinking.

In one place where I lived where it bugged me, I'm afraid I simply took advantage of them by asking them to do things for me.  Getting bored?  Hang out in my front garden, but while they're there pick up the litter left by passers by and put it in my bin.  Drinking a couple of cans by my side entry?  Bring me a loaf of bread.  I even got one annoying group to track down a  missing cat, which they duly found.  Oh dear, I think that's beginning to sound exploitative!  But mostly if they're hanging about, they're bored.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: 08 Feb 2017 02:13PM »
Oh dear, I think that's beginning to sound exploitative!  But mostly if they're hanging about, they're bored.

I have in the past paid someone's court fine arrears, so they did not go to prison. Instead they did some community service for me.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #11 on: 08 Feb 2017 10:39PM »
the kids that hung out in my close were trained to come and ask for the brush and they would brush up any mess and put it in the bin.  They were daft enough to pose for photos as well

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 09 Feb 2017 02:09PM »
Just to add...

I had some rather unpleasant things happen to me a few years ago which led to repeated house-moves until someone was safely behind bars.  I get a bit twitchy sometimes about vehicles with men in that park at a certain angle by my house where I think they can see me through the hedge but I can't see them properly, or more to the point, it's not the ones parked, but the ones with their lights on, the motors running, and someone in them.

I finally worked out that almost all the ones like that are from driving schools, and it's just that at that angle I can't see the sign on top of the car.  So now if I'm anxious, I find an excuse to go to the end of my drive, e.g. to put something there for the scrapman or to pick up some litter, or even pretending I'm expecting someone, looking at my watch and up and down the street, then going back to my house,  with a smile and a wave if it's a driving instructor there.

Steve - is there anyone that could pop round to see you a couple of times when those lads are there and smile at them and maybe ask for a light for a cigarette or ask for some info, e.g. whether there's a late-night corner shop nearby?  Your visitor could get the measure of them for you.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SteveX

« Reply #13 on: 09 Feb 2017 08:22PM »

Steve - is there anyone that could pop round to see you a couple of times when those lads are there and smile at them and maybe ask for a light for a cigarette or ask for some info, e.g. whether there's a late-night corner shop nearby?  Your visitor could get the measure of them for you.

The only person to visit me is my mum and tbh I wouldn't ask her to come out when it's dark and tbh I wouldn't want to get her involved, if you think I worry, she's 10x worse particularly when it's anything relating to me.  but hey, I love her beyond words.  >love<

I have to say the last 2 days have been a lot better, I only recall them there once in this time and only for 3-4 mins.  I'll see how it goes.  fingers crossed.

thanks again for helping and caring  >hugs<
Member of POMMAS