Author Topic: You are still 'middle-aged' in your sixties.  (Read 6004 times)

Yvette

You are still 'middle-aged' in your sixties.
« on: 16 Apr 2015 08:12AM »
As I am soon to be sixty, I was delighted to read the following in a newspaper (whose name shall not be mentioned in these hallowed halls).

60 is the new middle age: Our longer, healthier lives means we aren't classed as elderly until at least 70

•   Old age should be calculated by how many years a person has left to live
•   People aren't old until they are within 10 to 15 years of dying, scientists say
•   Based on average life expectancy, women are 'old' at 73 and men at 70
•   Middle age also starts later; a 60-year-old is now middle-aged, experts said

Your knees may be creaking. But if you are 60, you are merely middle-aged.

Scientists say that as we live longer, we need to rethink what we classify as being old.

They say that rather saying old age starts at a fixed age such as 60 or 65, we must factor in how much longer we have to live.

They suggest that we don’t think of ourselves as being old until we are within 10 to 15 years of the average life expectancy for our countrymen and women.

The average life expectancy for women in the UK is 82.8 years, meaning British females needn't consider themselves old until they are 72 or 73.

Similarly, with male life expectancy at 79 years, men don't become old until they are close to 70.

And if old age starts later, by definition, middle-age does too.

Researcher Dr Sergei Scherbov, said: ‘Age can be measured as the time already lived or it can be adjusted taking into account the time left to live.

‘What we think of as old has changed over time and it will need to continue changing in the future, as people live longer, healthier lives.

‘Someone who is 60 years old today, I would argue is middle-aged.

‘Two hundred years ago, a 60-year-old would be a very old person.’

He has previously shown that many people who are classified as old are as strong as younger people.

In his latest study, which was funded by the European Research Council, he calculates that if we fix old age at a certain point, the proportion of old people will increase with increasing life expectancy.

But, if you move the threshold for being old to take into account longer lives, the proportion of old people actually falls over time.

He added that modern medicine, education and improvements in sanitation, living conditions, diet and lifestyle, have all helped increase life expectancy.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Re: You are still 'middle-aged' in your sixties.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2015 10:30AM »
Hello Yevette

Next month I will be the big 6  0 so we can keep each other company

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2015 10:31AM »
I smell a softening up propaganda rat in advance of another rise in retirement age.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2015 10:45AM »
Based on average life expectancy, women are 'old' at 73 and men at 70

Thanks a lot Yvette. I am now officially old, mind you I've known that for a long time.  :-(

Should I now become oldoldtone?  >erm<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2015 08:22PM »
Ancientone??  >biggergrin<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2015 09:11PM »
Lankou, I concur.

There is some statistic that I  cannot remember properly: something like over 50% of people aged 70 are classed as disabled.  There is quality of life and there is quantity.  I know which one I want more of.

Yvette

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2015 10:19PM »
Regardless of it all - I am just very relieved that I will continue to be middle-aged for another few years yet!!

While I have been in my fifties I have considered myself to be middle-aged and was dreading the thought of the big 60 (although I am not very keen on the alternative!), but now I am quite happy about it as I will still be middle-aged!!

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2015 09:26PM »
I want to be in my thirties again.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2015 03:57PM »
Hello auntie C of M

You might want to be in your 30's again but I would love to be a school-boy again as I was 13 years + 5 months at the time of the hit + run on Christmas eve 1968 that put me in a wheelchair with a promissing future in the navy but at least I'm Captain of the HAPPYNESS

Yvette

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2015 07:16PM »
Captain Bule, you are the best Captain the Ship Happyness could ever have.  >biggrin<