Author Topic: New domestic abuse law on controlling behaviour unveiled  (Read 1179 times)

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30532087

Coercive and controlling behaviour can include the abuser preventing their victim from having friendships or hobbies, refusing them access to money and determining many aspects of their everyday life, such as when they are allowed to eat, sleep and go to the toilet.

Of course they must realise that that can describe their own actions toward people with disabilities don't they. In particular IDS.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Offworld

• Charter Member
Re: New domestic abuse law on controlling behaviour unveiled
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2014 04:28PM »
But Sandra Horley, chief executive of national domestic violence charity Refuge, said creating a new offence was not the answer because there were "already enough laws", but they were "not being implemented correctly".

Reckon she may well be correct.
Would the legal change now make it effectively impossible for people to try to minimise problematic behaviour of others such as -- for instance -- that pertaining to gambling or alcohol excesses?
And if that is so, then just where does it leave the government's own campaigns -- or even power of attorney?

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2014 08:33PM »
The problem with this is that the abused suffers lack of self-confidence.  This, I would have thought, would make it very difficult for them to report it as they would feel it is all their fault.  A bit like domestic violence, in the same way.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2014 03:58AM »
Also, from experience, the control is subtle and isn't explicit.my xh would rant and rave about my friends so to calm down the anger I would stop seeing them but he never said I couldn't see them. It wasn't long into the relationship when I realised I wasn't allowed to read books, he never said so but if I started to read a book he would ask me questions, engage a conversation or ask for help or whatever so I gave up trying to read. There are many other incidents of coercive control to the extent I had my ovaries removed because he felt my hormone swings were the cause of the problems in our marriage, this despite me never having pmt but to keep the peace I did want he obviously wanted but he never explicitly told me to. So how do you prove it?

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2014 11:16AM »
My father was 6 foot my Mother 5 foot 11" arguments in our home quite often ended in eye to eye toe to toe fist fights and dad didn't always win when ever I see an Andy Cap and Flo cartoon I think of them.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour