Author Topic: 648 members  (Read 3275 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
648 members
« on: 19 Jan 2014 03:51PM »
I wanted to find someone in the members' list and I noticed that we have 648 members.

Are they all (except those who've been posting less than, say, a couple of weeks) able to access 3am?

Does membership ever expire?  I confess I'd like it if there was some mechanism whereby those who haven't posted for a certain amount of time had to either re-register from scratch or get special dispensation.  I don't know if that would be feasible.

I know that what we post in Talk etc. is open to the whole world, but I hadn't until now thought in terms of what I post in 3am being open to hundreds.

Silly of me, I know.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 648 members
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2014 04:32PM »
Hi Sunny - no, not every single member can read the 3 am board, only those who have made a minimum of 50 posts.  This applies also to the Management Feedback board.

Does membership ever expire?  I confess I'd like it if there was some mechanism whereby those who haven't posted for a certain amount of time had to either re-register from scratch or get special dispensation.  I don't know if that would be feasible.

Interesting thought - I know of some boards where a regular 'sweep' is made of memberships where not a single post has ever been made for, say, a year since join date.  These unused accounts are simply deleted and an e-mail sent to inform - the person can always re-register if they actually intend to use the board, ie by posting on it.  I can see the logic behind this.

For memberships where posts have been made though, it could be tricky on a board like this to start 'chasing' those who've not been active for a while:  as we know, people sometimes take time out due to their impairments and 'disappear' for substantial lengths of time only to return at a later date.  But rest assured, if anyone hasn't made 50 posts - no matter how long they've been registered here - they will not have access to the 3 am board  >thumbsup<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2014 04:51PM »
Thanks for clarifying. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2014 05:26PM »
Kizzy  >thumbsup<  >tah<

Also some of the members are actually spammer accounts which we let in then banned before we realised we could just ban them to stop them reapplying from the same IP.

Admin actually shows over 1500 member applications but Kizzy and I used her  >flyswatter< on the spammers and undesireables.

I am going to go through the members list at some point make a list of people to email about whether they still want to be a member and if not then just delete them.

Also I have been wondering if I need to tweak the settings so Fall down 7 times get up 8 does not appear so prominantly in the welcome to Ouch Too email. It could be that people dont connect the phrase with Ouch Too.

Sunny,

Thank you for posting because it is good to let members know (or remind about) this stuff

One way to check the security of the site is to sign out and look at the site, I do this from time to time to remind myself of what a newbie sees and muse on design improvements. Also if you Google Ouch Too you'll see that the results dont show what 50 + posts members can see. Something else I remembered the other day was that if a person attaches a picture or file to a post it does not readily come up in a Google Image search like images on Facebook can.

Yvette

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2014 07:03PM »
When I was in hospital recently, I bought a cheap deal so I could watch tv and use the internet.  It wouldn't let me onto OuchToo.  It said because it was a message board something like that.  :-(

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2014 07:07PM »
That's mean.

pooldenver

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2014 07:21PM »
undesirable, that's something I have never been called, hope yet me thinks  ;-)
I have to say I have not put much up lately, but I do look at the site every day, not sure what I would do if it was not here, lots of what I find here is a help to me say. chatting to family and friend is not always possible. just knowing you are there is enough most of the time.
and I know its a bit late but may I say, happy new year to one and all  >bighugs<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2014 07:22PM »
Happy New Year.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2014 08:48PM »
Yes pooldenver, the people on here are so important a part of life, aren't they.  Happy New Year to you too.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2014 09:48PM »
Happy new year to pooldenver & anyone else I've missed.

Anyone know if sociable peter is OK?  I don't do other sites much, so he may be online daily somewhere.  If you spot him, wish him a happy birthday (tomorrow I think) & tell us how he's doing.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2014 10:02PM »
He's posting on FB as Peter John Farringdon and his birthday is on there, not hidden.

He didn't make a secret of his real identity on Ouch or H2G2, so I feel safe mentioning it here.  If you put Peter aka Sociable into your search engine, you'll find other stuff.

He hasn't posted for a few days.

bubble

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2014 11:30PM »
Happy New Year to all too  >hugs< >love<

devine63

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2014 12:14AM »
Sunshine

when you email people perhaps you could ask them to say if they prefer to just have read only access?   I have no objection to people reading everyday like Pooldenver, but it would be nice to know how many of those accounts are just "dead" ones.
regards, Deb

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2014 12:52AM »
"Anyone know if sociable peter is OK?  I don't do other sites much, so he may be online daily somewhere.  If you spot him, wish him a happy birthday (tomorrow I think) & tell us how he's doing.£

It is his birthday today. He shares it with her from the hairdressers you know. Not that she knows that I know that. It's also the day before my sister's. So that's that.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2014 07:55AM »
People who just wish to read and not post can do so by accessing the site  as guest can't they?
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour