Author Topic: My neck hurts.  (Read 3650 times)

Yvette

My neck hurts.
« on: 28 Aug 2013 05:18PM »
For some time my neck has been very painful and I have been getting headaches. I put up with it as I thought it was just related to the arthritis and rotator cuff impingement in my shoulders but it was so bad I went to an Osteopath, who after three treatments said he couldn't do any more.

I saw my GP last week who gave me a number of exercises to do, ten of each, three times a day, but despite doing the exercises (which are painful themselves) for the last week, my neck is still as painful as are the exercises.

He said if the exercises didn't help after three weeks I would have to see a Physio but I don't know what a Physio will do differently if the GP's exercises aren't doing anything.

I am fed up of being in pain constantly.  Even though I am on anti-inflammatories and Oxycontin.     Grrrr.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: My neck hurts.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2013 05:53PM »
 Gentle >hugs< - continuous pain is not at all pleasant.  :-(

starsmurf

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2013 07:08PM »
Another gentle  >hugs<

The GP will know some basic stretching exercises that will be effective for common causes of neck pain and stiffness. A physio may be able to see what is causing the pain and stiffness and give you more focused and effective exercises.  So don't think that going to see a physio is not going to help if the GP's exercises can't. 

A GP will have had a couple of lectures on this subject plus their knowledge of anatomy to fall back on.  A physio spent at least four years studying this subject, so they'll know more about it than the GP.
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2013 07:40PM »
Neckache's a nightmare. Hope it improves soon Yvette.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2013 08:22PM »
I started to get really bad neck pains, really sharp ones.  Eventually I went to the GP, had an x-ray and was prescribed a surgical collar.  I decided I did not want to have to wear a collar for the rest of my life and did not go to pick the collar up.

It was not that long afterwards that I discovered that my computer monitor was too high up for me, as was my pillow!!

(These days I get a little sore and just put a  bit of heat or chilling cream on it a couple of times a day and it is under control.)

>hugs<     >x-fingers< that it might be something not very serious.

WheeledTraveler

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2013 01:40AM »
I agree that it could be something as "simple" as computer placement or pillows. It is still possible that you're correct about the shoulders and/or arthritis, as well.

It's hard for me to say for sure not knowing what exercises you've been given, but I suspect that starsmurf is spot on about how a physio may be able to help even if the GP's exercises don't. Also, do be careful of pushing if the exercises hurt, even if that means doing fewer than the GP told you to do. I don't know if they do so in the UK, but in the US a physio would also give you access to things like traction to see if that helps. Sometimes physios also have ways of evaluating that will be more helpful at identifying the root cause of the pain than a GP can.

Have you tried anything like heat or ice to see if it helps? I'd personally aim towards heat if there's no sign of inflammation, but that's just because I tend to respond better to heat than cold when there isn't inflammation.

I actually do have a hard cervical collar that I wear when my neck gets bad, but I also have known vertebral instability and it's really a matter of trying to delay more surgery for as long as possible. I don't wear it all the time to try to avoid any problems from muscles weakening due to the brace, but I wear it when needed and have done off and on for almost 3 years (prior to my neck surgeries). I actually find the brace most useful when I wear it at night, but I lost any shame about going out in it when I didn't have any choice post-surgery.

Yvette

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2013 04:34PM »
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I can feel my vertebrae 'crunching' when I do some of the exercises. 

I have my computer monitor where the line of print I am typing is at my eye level.  Is that correct?  Or is it too high?

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2013 10:23PM »
Hmm, I think that I look slightly downwards these days.

When I do neck exercises my vertebra crunch as well.  Oh! I must remember to do them more frequently than 'every now and again'.   >biggrin<

Prabhakari

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2013 12:58AM »
My doctor once gave me support collars, but they did not help. I felt worse.
Have just had a period of neck pain. I used lots of Deep Heat and ibuprofen gels. A favourite being Deep Relief. It gives the impression of helping.

I wish with all my heart that you can find a way to cope with the pain.

With metta, Prabhakari
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Yvette

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2013 09:49PM »
Thank you, Prabs.

SteveX

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2013 09:53PM »
Hope you're feeling better soon Yvette!  >hugs<
Member of POMMAS

Yvette

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2013 09:46AM »
Thank you.  >tah<

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2013 10:12AM »
I was diagnosed with  Cervical Spondylosis when I was about 30 one of the treatments the Physiotherapists recommended was traction which did help reduce the pain and stiffness at the time.

I still get that crunching feeling and noise when I rotate my head from side to side in my case that is the little spondules or osteophytes  grinding against each other. And it can be quite painful at times I know.

Here is a little more info on the subject

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/cervical-spondylosis

So heres hoping your pain eases and you feel better soon Yvette

>hugs<
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Yvette

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2013 12:09PM »
Thanks Dic.  A very interesting leaflet. 

I'm seeing my GP on the 12th and he said that if the pain didn't get any better (which it hasn't despite the exercises) he would refer me for physio.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2013 12:27PM »
Yvette,

I have my computer monitor where the line of print I am typing is at my eye level.  Is that correct?  Or is it too high?

To me that sounds to high, because as far as I know the the top of the monitor should be at eye level.

I probably also makes a difference if you have to look down to type like I am now - can't touch type.

Hopefully you will get to go see a good physio and so be able to know more and do more about what is going on.

I have had severe neck and shoulder pain which did resolve over time helped by a higher dose of Baclofen which I already take for CP, rest away from the computer and also just giving it time.
 >bighugs<