Author Topic: 'New' electricity scam  (Read 3660 times)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
'New' electricity scam
« on: 08 Jul 2013 05:39PM »
I was phoned, earlier this afternoon, by a gentleman with an 'indian' accent. I'm afraid that made me on my guard straight away as many scan phone calls seem to originate from the sub-continent.

He had my address and surname, said he was from 'my electricity supplier', when I asked which one he said that companies such as Eon, Npower and several others use the services of his company. Offered to send us a gadget that will save us 40% on our energy bills. It really sounded as if he was reading from a script without necessarily understanding what he was saying. I refused to give any further details when he asked me to 'confirm' then, pointed out that he had phoned me while I had no idea who he was. He said that he will put paperwork in the post for me - we will see.

It just didn't feel right to me, although I didn't know what the scam might be. An internet search threw up this - http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/four-big-gas-and-electricity-scams-to-avoid-this-winter.html and I am pretty sure this is what it was.

The website article is dated 2011, so it looks as if it has been doing the rounds for a while, but it is the first time I have heard of it. Thought I would warn you, just in case anyone else gets one of these too.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 'New' electricity scam
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2013 09:42PM »
But in reality the devices deliver no practical savings and could result in fire or even electrocution.

Good grief, and they're charging 99 quid for the things as well!  >rude words<

Thanks for posting this, Hurtyback, I'm often surprised by what's out there involving the unscrupulous  >erm< 

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2013 09:50PM »
This was certainly a new one to me and I was very shocked to read that this device could cause fires and even electrocution  >yikes<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2013 10:50PM »
Presumably this chap already had your address Hurty??

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jul 2013 02:28PM »
Presumably this chap already had your address Hurty??

Yes, he quoted my address and postcode to me.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jul 2013 10:22PM »
Gosh, that is scary.  The problem is anyone can consult the electoral register.  And I have a feeling that they can pay to have the whole lot on a disc.

Yvette

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2013 08:29AM »
TalkTalk used to phone up with new offers and would want to go through security questions first. 

I refused to give them any infomation because they could have been anyone.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2013 09:44AM »
Yeah, it really annoys me when cold callers start asking personal information before they'll continue the conversation. Hold on a minute, you're the one who rang me....

I rarely answer my landline phone (during the day at least) and have recently signed up for the telephone preference service (after watching that Call Centre programme which featured more prays per square foot than Parliament) and the amount of calls has slowed down a bit but not stopped. A couple of days ago I got a message to ring someone with the same surname as me AND a Scottish accent, but no further information. He obviously thought I would think he was a relative of mine and ring straight back but I checked the number and it turned out to be a very dodgy-sounding 'alternative investments' firm. Of course, if I had money to spare the first thing I'd think of buying would be land in Sierra Leone. What could possibly go wrong there?

The cheekiest call came a few months ago from a rep from a firm selling mobility aids. He'd obviously got some information that I was disabled as he started talking very sympathetically about how difficult it could be. Got to admit I was taken in for a minute or so until he started with the hard-sell bit about bringing a powerchair round for me to try out. I'd earlier told him I lived in a flat and he told me that a couple of the other residents had already bought them. He even gave their names, Mr Smith and Mr O'Brien. Now it may come as a shock to him, but not all disabled people live together (in specially-built blocks of flats presumably) and some of us know our neighbours' names (I have friends called Smith and O'Brien as it happens but have never cohabited with them) and to be frank weren't born yesterday.

After I ended the call I became really angry. Suppose I'd had learning difficulties or because of drugs/pain/loneliness was just happy to have a nice-sounding person offering me help? Unfortunately I didn't remember the firm's name but if they ever ring me again I'll give them both barrels.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2013 09:58AM »
"after watching that Call Centre programme which featured more prays per square foot than Parliament."

More prats I meant...

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2013 10:23AM »
Too get a little off topic the New Scientist magazine has an interest in strange units of measurement such as reporters use when making comparisons. Things like so many 'double decker buses' or, popular at present, 'blue whales'.

Jockice has introduced us to a new one, 'prats per square foot'.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2013 03:07PM »
I am also signed up with the TPS but I seem to be getting more calls than ever these days  >angry< . The TPS doesn't really have any 'teeth' in this country and certainly can't act if the calls originate from abroad - or if the caller withholds their number.

Jockice, I have also had one from someone wanting to sell me a mobility scooter. When he started asking what my disability is I told him that was my business. I said that a mobility scooter would not be appropriate because I cannot sit for long, so he offered me a powerchair instead!  >doh<

I rather like 'prats per square foot', I can see it catching on.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2013 04:40PM »
I should have said metre. We went metric years ago.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2013 05:11PM »
'ppm2' will work just as well!

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2013 10:08PM »
I've been with the TPS for years.  I still get the odd phone call around meal-times.

A common one is "We are in the area and noticed that your gutter/roof etc etc.  "  The other one is " we are doing a survey etc etc ".  No Thank You.