:-( 
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2013 09:32PM by JLR »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Measles outbreak
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2013 09:15AM »
 >lol<

An of course, any child presenting with a high temperature, horrible rash and febrile convulsions is just faking it to get time off school!

JLRRAC

« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2013 09:17AM »
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2013 09:30PM by JLR »

Yvette

« Reply #3 on: 07 Apr 2013 09:29AM »
Measles can kill children and adults or leave them with severe illnesses/disabilities so it is a very serious disease, despite most of us having had it in childhood and recovered with no complications.

Common complications of measles are:
•meningitis
•pneumonia (lung infection), signs of which are fast, difficult breathing, chest pain and deteriorating condition
•hepatitis (liver infection)
•encephalitis (inflammation of the brain), which can be fatal, so watch for drowsiness, headache and vomiting
•low platelet count, known medically as thrombocytopenia, which affects the blood's ability to clot
•bronchitis and croup (infection of the airways), characterised by a hacking or barking cough
•squint, if the virus affects the nerves and muscles of the eye

In rare cases, measles can lead to the following conditions:
•serious eye disorders, such as an infection of the optic nerve (the nerve that transmits information from the eye to the brain), known as optic neuritis, which can lead to blindness
•heart and nervous system problems
•a serious brain complication known as subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE), which can sometimes occur several years after measles – however, although the condition is fatal, it is very rare, occurring in only 1 in every 100,000 cases of measles

Complications are also more likely to develop in adults who are over the age of 20.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 Apr 2013 09:36AM »
It is a serious disease indeed, I'm glad that they are encouraging more immunisations now.

JLRRAC

« Reply #5 on: 07 Apr 2013 09:48AM »
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2013 09:31PM by JLR »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 Apr 2013 10:02AM »
Yvette and Fiz, I wasn't mocking the seriousness of the illness either. I'm old enough to have been the victim of a dual outbreak of mumps and measles while at primary school. I came through unscathed, but two of my classmates weren't so lucky. One lost the hearing in one ear following an attack of mumps meningitis, and another was hospitalised due to measles-related pneumonia. If the publicity surrounding this current outbreak helps to increase the rate of vaccination, then some good will have come of it. 

All I was laughing at was the idea of how Atos would assess people suffering from measles.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 07 Apr 2013 10:24AM »
Yvette,

Thank you for that information if you want to start a thread with it in Talk you can. If not I might start a mealse thread over there myself later.

JLR,

I moved the thread here to the Cafe because it is meant to be humourous and not serious.

Please be more careful and considerate about the where you post threads like this. Posting it in Talk meant people opened it could be upset about the content because it they would not have expected a joke.

NN and JLR,

Thank you both for making follow up posts to make it clear what the joke was.

The idea of ATOs assessing measle cases eg finding people sick, does remind me of oxymorons like military intelligence.
I guess they thing is that they are paid to have targets and those targets will be met. Could therefore be that ATOs assessors are give special spotty glass so they see measles everywhere.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 07 Apr 2013 11:05AM »
NN and JLR,

Thank you both for making follow up posts to make it clear what the joke was.

No problem, Sunshine. And apologies to anyone who was upset or offended. >hugs<

Could therefore be that ATOs assessors are give special spotty glass so they see measles everywhere.

I was thinking quite the opposite - spot-cancelling glasses to deliberately eradicate all evidence of measles. And of course 3 thermometers to be shared between all the assessment centres in the UK. Can't have any pesky demands to have temperatures taken and recorded getting in the way of telling people they aren't sick  ;-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 07 Apr 2013 11:20AM »
And of course 3 thermometers to be shared between all the assessment centres in the UK.

Ahh like the limited numbers of recording devices available to claimants for for their ATOs assessments  >erm< lol

stalwart

« Reply #10 on: 07 Apr 2013 11:50AM »
JLR I presume you meant Hong Kong not Singapore >whistle<

Yvette

« Reply #11 on: 07 Apr 2013 01:59PM »
I feel better that this thread has been moved to the Cafe.  >thumbsup<

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: :-(
« Reply #12 on: 08 Apr 2013 07:34PM »
No need to be sad JLR  :-)
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 08 Apr 2013 08:09PM »
Are you OK, JLR? >hugs<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 08 Apr 2013 08:24PM »
I wish JLR had not edited his posts on this thread. He had made a joke about ATOs and measles.

I see what happened as an admin issue, JLR's intention was not to upset anyone, the thread was moved here once it was realise that the title Measles Outbreak sounded like a serious title and people could continue to use it.

Jim was just posting how he posts and  I am sure Kizzy and I can accomodate any mistakes made and just move the thread or retitle it.

>bighugs<