Author Topic: Iain Duncan Smith 'proud of food banks'  (Read 4229 times)

sickandtired

• Gold Member
Iain Duncan Smith 'proud of food banks'
« on: 26 Mar 2013 11:48AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21936248

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith said directing people to food banks was a short-term method of alleviating their financial problems.

"I've said to Job Centres, sort their problem out. If it is a case of food banks, Job Centres are meant to help passport people through to that so they can get them stable, so they can deal with their problems."

Mr Duncan Smith says he is proud of the fact that his government agreed that Job Centre staff could refer people to food banks.

"What would you prefer? Under the last government, Job Centre staff were not allowed to talk about it. My concern is that the individual who is in front of Job Centre staff can get access to everything they need to."

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Iain Duncan Smith 'proud of food banks'
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2013 12:32PM »
My concern is that the individual who is in front of Job Centre staff can get access to everything they need to

Except benefits, smug condescending bastard  >steam< >angry< >steam<
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2013 01:58PM »
If that's a source of 'pride' for Mr Duncan Smith, he must be a very mixed up man..

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2013 05:30PM »
Oh dear.  I wish I thought it was ignorance on his part, but the more this goes on, the less inclined I am to think that.

I think it's sad because when he started the Centre for Social Justice (or was it there and he joined it?) after visiting a Glasgow estate, I thought he really cared, albeit in a right-wing way that I, as a leftwinger was rather suspicious of. 

I thought he meant well about UC, albeit being very naive about the whole thing, and I took his battles with other parts of the government over having fewer cutbacks in the welfare bill as genuine.

But after all this time, he can't still be ignorant about what's going on on the ground.  So what's going on?  Has he changed his views, did he misrepresent his views years ago, or has he decided to hide his views to avoid yet another catastophe in his political career?

I'm inclined to think it's the last but I could be terribly wrong.  I'm certainly terribly sad.

And at the risk of sounding spiteful (although I'm afraid I am feeling very spiteful towards him) I wish that when he next goes to mass his priest would say sorry, your confession wasn't (a) complete and (b) genuine so I'm not giving you the body and blood of Christ. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2013 10:12PM »
does this mean that emergency payments which were given for a days meals are now to be replaced by directions to a food bank? No wonder he is proud, they will be saving about 12.50 a person each day.

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2013 07:31AM »
Not sure why hes proudof them..he didnt set them up, he hasnt , as far as i know given them any financial support and many in his government dont think they are needed... I can see hes glad they are there so he doesnt have to cope with the hue and cry that would arise when people began becoming ill or even dying of malnutrition .

I dont believe hes a bad man but I do think he has many attitudes which not fit in with life today when people shouldnt feel they HAVE to accept charity to survive..a little like the parish relief systems that used to exist but at least being able to keep their furniture. He doesnt seem to realise that there arent enough jobs for the amount of people looking, be they disabled on non disabled, and that therefore some people wont be ableto get a job however hard they try.. I dont see why they should have to go and use a foodbank just because the jobcentres cant process their claims quickly enough... there does need to be a safety net so that people dont, as seems to be the case in some places , HAVE to use a food bank not long after making a claim because their money runs out before they need to get food.
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2013 08:57AM »
"I dont believe hes a bad man."

I do. Very much so.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2013 09:34AM »
Sort of like an evil genius without the genius bit.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2013 10:29AM »
I think he is proud of the food banks because they epitomise the governments's concept of the Big Society. That and his department doesn't have to pay.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2013 10:47AM »
He probably actually does believe that the "welfare reforms" will help people, even though many (perhaps most?) other people can see that they are costing lots of money while making things worse for a lot of people - he really does appear to be that stupid. >erm< :-(

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2013 05:17PM »
It's the
Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith said directing people to food banks was a short-term method of alleviating their financial problems.
that gets me.

A Short-term method?  What about a Long-term method - like not cutting the benefits in relation to inflation?
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2013 07:39PM »
Some short term measure  >angry< >steam<
there are people at the soup kitchen that have been coming every week for the last 4 years
they are still either homeless or been found fit from ESA & can't claim JSA cos they have no fixed abode  >doh< >bleep< >headbang< >headbang<

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: 02 Apr 2013 05:18PM »
Hello Monic 1511

I.D.S  want's a Dickension type scoiety (Charled Dickins) 1860 is he scared of the future (as he might loose his high paid govt job ? if the coaltion is dis-solved

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jun 2013 05:45PM »
Hello Monic 1511

If I.D.S is proud of food bank's is the poor old dear  confused because retail shop's are a healthy part of scoiety is it his plan to under mind us in to thinking we disabled are'nt worthy of society the sniveling dectful tory party will go to any lenugh to get their own sinister way.

I'm not name calling an indervidual person but  a party of dispicable people

SteveX

« Reply #14 on: 03 Jun 2013 08:22PM »
What an evil, twisted, nasty little man he is.

I can't bear his BLATANT lies anymore, he soon as he appears I turn the TV over. 
Member of POMMAS