Author Topic: the BBC: complicit in the Government's 'let the disabled die' policy  (Read 2130 times)

sickandtired

• Gold Member
Hi, this is my first post here - I did post for a while on Ouch! when it was part of the BBC messageboards (as 'Tired Fred'), and have wanted to join Ouch Too for a while, but I haven't been able to summon up the enthusiasm to do anything for a long time (I'm sure some of you here will understand that sentiment).

I thought I'd start with my pet hate: the BBC (AKA the Government's PR department) and its refusal to even mention the way Cameron, Clegg, IDS and the rest are happy to see disabled people driven to suicide.

As another website put it: the BBC headlined the MP's expenses scandal - even though nobody died. It headlined the hacking scandal and the Leveson enquired - again, even though nobody died. But this ****ing Government is killing disabled people with its WCA, either by stressing them into their graves or actually driving them to suicide. The Government knows this is the effect of the WCA and ATOS's crooked methods, yet it still carries on. So, in effect, the Government could be said to be guilty of manslaughter.

You'd think BBC journalists would treat this scandal as manna from Heaven, except for one thing: the BBC is terrified of the power the Government has over it (just the thought of one MP getting up in Parliament and saying "I think the whole issue of a licence fee for television viewing ought to be re-examined' would have the BBC quaking in its boots). And for this reason, BBC journalists are willing to see sick and disabled people die as a result of unfair Government policy, then just look away and pretend they saw nothing.

What has really raised my hackles just now is the way the BBC is prepared to sack its high-ups left, right and centre 'in order to restore public faith in the organisation'. And this was just because a bit of sloppy reporting (which didn't even lead to anyone being named) has hurt one powerful member of the Establishment.

Well, if anyone from the BBC should by any chance be reading this, here's how to restore my faith in you: stop being complicit in the deaths of sick and disabled British people. And 'complicit' isn't too strong a word. As the old legal phrase puts in, 'qui tacet consentire videtur' ('silence gives consent').

But it would be like be talking to the wall if I told this to anyone in the BBC: they all know the organisation they're drawing their salary from is little more than a Government mouthpiece, though I'm sure they'd love to forget the fact, for their own self-respect if nothing else.

A million of these:  >steam<

SteveX

Well said!

I agree 100%
Member of POMMAS

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Welcome to OuchToo, sickandtired - interesting you should mention BBC Ouch!, because when that message board closure was announced (the latest in a long line of casualties as the Beeb have been steadily axing their boards since before I joined them), it was suggested by some that maybe Ouch! posters were becoming 'too political'.  Mainly with the protests against the welfare reforms - people were giving ESA the big  >thumbsdown< >thumbsdown< as early as 2008 - and therefore the BBC was running scared of continuing to host a message board for such vocal, anti-government crips... 

This may be a conspiracy theory.  Or it may not  >whistle<

Prabhakari

Hekko Sick and Tired.
I agree.

I too, watched what happened to the old Ouch, and knew that it would be closed.
How can one fight injustice outside politics?
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Well put, Sick and Tired. >thumbsup<

sickandtired

• Gold Member
If anything, the BBC represents a far bigger threat to vulnerable people than right-wing scumbag papers like the Daily Express, with their endless 'crackdown on scrounger' headlines, because at least most people know such rags are the puppets of rich Tories, whereas the general opinion of the BBC appears (to me, anyway) to be 'They're impartial, because having an assured income from the licence fee allows them to be'.

Their very (perceived) impartiality allows the Government to get away with what it is doing so easily: people think 'the BBC aren't reporting a scandal, so there mustn't be one'. The public just can't see that the BBC gets its reputation of 'fearless reporting' by investigating every story except the few that might damage its interests. So the public sees the Beeb's reporters in Burma, or Syria, or wherever, bravely exposing government oppression (that's oppression carried out by other governments) and says, "Oh, fearless BBC! Standing up for the underdog everywhere in the World!" They then see a BBC interviewer asking a cabinet minister 'tough questions' (concerning a topic that's safely diffuse and general, such as 'the economy isn't recovering as fast as we were promised') and says, "Look, the BBC is even prepared to stand up to the Government! Gawd bless the BBC!"

And this very illusion of fearlessness and impartiality does a beautiful job of hiding the nasty little gentleman's agreement the Beeb and the Government has obviously made behing the scenes: 'you intent to use disabled people as scapegoats, and to persecute them in order to win votes? OK, old boy - but just remember what you promised us about the licence fee'.

I don't like the BBC very much - you guessed, didn't you?

Prabhakari

I feel the same!
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

devine63

... Except that Cameron is apparently on record as saying he would love to get rid of the BBC, so it seems unlikely he would come to this sort of deal...
regards, Deb

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Misdirection the oldest tool of the conjuror.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

sickandtired

• Gold Member
"... Except that Cameron is apparently on record as saying he would love to get rid of the BBC, so it seems unlikely he would come to this sort of deal...
regards, Deb"

It's an old Macchiavellian trick for people who are secretly in cahoots with each other to put on a public face of mutual dislike.

Actually, I'm sure Cameron really doesn't like the BBC that much, because they don't back him as much as he'd like them to. But that doesn't stop the BBC and the Government tacitly agreeing not to step on one another's toes, help each other as much as they can stomach, and share out the resulting spoils (ie: votes and licence fees).