Author Topic: Non-claimants privacy  (Read 1327 times)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Non-claimants privacy
« on: 06 Nov 2012 04:30PM »
I was talking to  one of the members of our VI group who is going through the ESA mill. He is concerned that they want details of his adult son's bank account because he lives with him and his wife from time to time.

He understands why the DWP wants details of his and his wife's accounts but he think it an invasion of his sons privacy. He accepts it is reasonable ask how much his son contributes to the household but not his son's personal finances.

He is asking is this intrusion legal and if so has any major charity challenged it?

It got me thinking if he had an unrelated lodger would the DWP require the same information?

Monic1511

Re: Non-claimants privacy
« Reply #1 on: 06 Nov 2012 09:47PM »
Hi Oldtone

Your friend would just say on the form that he doesn't know his son's earning or savings and as they are not claiming for him it is irrelevant.  If the son is giving the couple rent money that would be classed as income but if the son pays the electric / gas / council tax bill that is not counted as income >whistle<.

The only effect there would be is in housing benefit - there is a non dependent deduction but this is not applied if the claimant or partner recieve DLA Care.

As for the legal point I wouldn't bother just say on the form I do not know my sons income and as I am not claiming for him it is not relevant.
Monic