Author Topic: I Want..  (Read 5779 times)

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer
I Want..
« on: 22 Sep 2012 06:26AM »
I Want.. How often have we heard kids scream this in a supermarket.
But do we ever forget those words. ?
Is it so selfish to Want.

What do you want and why. ?

I'm greedy, there's two wants on my list.
1.  I want contact with my 2 year old grand daughter.  Why, because she's my only grand daughter and I would love a granny cuddle.
2. I want to go to her mum and dads ( my son ) wedding.  Why, well I always thought it the norm for parents to go.

Mr S, says they will need us before we need them
       But I WANT..

boccius

• Diamond member
Re: I Want..
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2012 08:55AM »
Funnily enough, I was thinking about 'wants' this morning.

I no longer 'want' health and youth. Well, if they came my way I wouldn't kick them out, but the odds on (a) my missing leg growing back or (b) my ailing kidneys taking a turn for the better are both slim. Similar the youth business.

I would now settle for being Gentle and Wise; either, or preferably both, would enable me to find peace.

A

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2012 10:35AM »
I want an Indian summer to arrive soon but maybe that would confuse the plants, trees and birds  >bluetoo<

Joy2u

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2012 11:44AM »
I want to win the lottery tonight, .....or failing that, the housework fairy to come and give my house a once over  ;-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2012 12:50PM »
I want to win the lottery tonight, .....or failing that, the housework fairy to come and give my house a once over  ;-)

Me too but I dont mind if it is one of the lower prizes say enough to pay our mortgage but I will need to buy a ticket.
I would like a painting and decorating fairy  >magicfairy<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2012 02:17PM »
I would like a painting and decorating fairy  >magicfairy<

I'd like an ironing fairy ...

My biggest want?

For my mum and dad, now in their seventies, to have as long and healthy lives as possible  >rainbow2<

Becca7

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2012 02:57PM »
.. A washing up fairy!

Joy2u

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2012 05:17PM »
`I'd like an ironing fairy ...`

Send her round mine please.  >tah<

Becca7

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2012 05:33PM »
*whines* Where's my fairy? my dishes need doing, im hungry! *stamps foot*

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2012 05:37PM »
It's looking like we need a whole army of household chore-related fantasy folk....

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2012 05:53PM »
I would happily swap my grot goblin for a cleaning fairy.  Strangely enough, the grot goblin seems to follow my husband around  >whistle<

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2012 06:38PM »
It's looking like we need a whole army of household chore-related fantasy folk....

All we Want is one fairy that will do it all.  >cool<

SashaQ

• Charter Member
    • h2g2.com
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2012 07:06PM »
My biggest want?

For my mum and dad, now in their seventies, to have as long and healthy lives as possible  >rainbow2<

>thumbsup< >thumbsup< >thumbsup<

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2012 07:34PM »
For My son Ryan to get better.
 Brain tumours are such horrid things.
 Having lost my younger Son To the same thing I know only to well the suffering they cause..
That is all I want.

Katie

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2012 08:38PM »
My therapist keeps trying to get me to answer this question. But the honest truth is that I've never known what I want out of life. I always sort of thought I did, and I always sort of thought I'd achieved it. I had a picture in my head of my life, and I actually made it there. Lived in the road I thought I wanted to live in, sports car parked outside, this career trajectory I always pictured I'd have...

And it turned out that it wasn't what I wanted. It wasn't that it wasn't good, or even that it wasn't enough. I just realised that it wasn't really a goal. I still didn't know what the goal of my life looked like -- I'd mistaken the journey for the destination.

And so I still don't know. And so I don't know how to make other decisions. I'm trying to work out whether to move; but I don't know which city to live in. I don't know whether I should buy a flat in case my illness gets worse or keep the house I have which I could have adapted and I like. My boss periodically asks me what my career goals are (because he wants to assign me the right projects and inter-team things for whatever direction I pick). But I don't know what they are. I've started companies and run companies and run teams and created products. I've written best selling games, I've written software that's saved people's lives and still none of it has felt like anything other than a distraction. I got married in a castle. I've studied many subjects. I've actually seen quite a lot of life -- I've had some fascinating experiences that very few people ever get to have.

I've done all those things and they didn't make me 'happy'. Do I want to be working towards promotion to an L5 engineer??? Well. No. No "want". It might happen by default, but it's not what I want.

Because I don't know what I really want. And that actually rather sucks.