Author Topic: Sick notes / Panel lines  (Read 2773 times)

JLRRAC

Sick notes / Panel lines
« on: 04 Aug 2012 08:43PM »
I've mentioned panel lines for the older amongst us as my Mum used to talk of my Dad being on the panel.

Given we are witnessing the erradication of disability under the present regime it crossed my, albeit tiny, mind that the next target might be sick notes/lines from GPs for their patients who are in employment. Could we be seeing a gradual build up of rhetoric demonising those who ask for and gain doctors certificates to show they are temporarily unfit to work? 

Notice that we have already heard the expression, 'Sick note culture' and listened as either IDS or Grayling have spoken of those seeking a sick note being expected to carry on doing some form of work within their employer's control.

For example someone who works, as I did in the delicatessen/provisions department of a large supermarket, who let's again imagine dislocates their knee cap. OK so after the member of staff has managed to become accustomed to their leg being in plaster and having to use crutches they could face being forced to work at another department within the supermarket, be it on a check-out or at the store's warehouse stores receiving area, the back door as it was known in my time with Presto. They could be compelled to do this until they are fit enough to return to the Deli/provisions dept or face losing their job altogether. It is something which I would not put past this government to be actively considering if not already putting in place.

marfanannie

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
Re: Sick notes / Panel lines
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2012 09:55PM »
I believe this is already in place.  You cannot get a sick note anymore from your GP - it is now known as a 'fit note'.

Your GP can either sign you off as unfit for any work for a certain duration or put down what you would be capable of doing whilst you are incapacitated.  So if you have your leg in plaster you could still work at the check out - but not stacking the shelves.  This has been in for some time now.

JLRRAC

« Reply #2 on: 04 Aug 2012 10:27PM »
Marfanannie, it took your mentioning of the 'Fit note' to mind me that this has been brought in, however whilst accepting this has been brought into being it might not be the end of the change the government wants to bring to what was the doctors sick note.

The government may make it legal for employing companies in the future to suspend payment of wages who is unavailable through illness or other incapacity with no sick pay being required to be paid to an employee who is not seen as available in some capacity, unless they are hospitalised as a result of their illness or an accident.

So what we would have is a situation where an employee who is ill or suffering from the effects of injuries sustained in an accident has to appeal if not plead to their employer to find some position within the company involved for which they can be paid.

This might see employers exploiting their employees who find themselves in this position as they, the employers, seek to proffer from the employee's health problem by offering a position at a reduced rate of pay knowing that an employee would be only too well aware that to refuse whatever their employer offered would see them with no income as sickness benefits willl have by this time have been abolished by the government.

marfanannie

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: 04 Aug 2012 11:07PM »
I know - the more you think about things, and about how the benefit system has changed so dramatically and quickly it really frightens me.  Since having to retire on health grounds (and before, I could see it coming) I read up on everything that was happening then and what was planned for the future.  I must admit I did not see the bit about 365 days in WRAG on ESA (C) coming.

Had to think hard and long about taking the steps towards retiring.  After being advised from all sides to do it, I thought - oh well I will get some sick pay and a small pension and I should be able to manage.  I am in the support group at the moment but who knows for how long??? 

There are alot of people out there who still have no idea as to what is happening to the benefit system and will be shocked when they are called in for their assessment.  Lets hope they watched the two programmes on last Monday and it will have alerted them to it all.

It is the worry of it all - you know you are never going to get well enough to work again but all you can think about is the next ESA50 coming through the door and what group you will go into this time.

And I can't draw my state pension until I am 66!! (few years back it was 63)....

JLRRAC

« Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 2012 11:32PM »
"It is the worry of it all - you know you are never going to get well enough to work again but all you can think about is the next ESA50 coming through the door and what group you will go into this time."

It is this that bugs me, physcological (spelling?) war on the disabled benefits claimant is what I would call this.

If someone subjects another to fightening behaviour on their part they can be seen in court, things such as stalking I think have resulted in this and as part of court settlements I'm sure there has been payments awarded to folk subjected to stalking for the physcological stress they have been put through, if I am right why should it be any different whan it is the government of the day that is inflicting such stress on disability benefit claimants?

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 06 Aug 2012 08:54PM »
So, if I needed 2 weeks of from work due to a UTI (I get frequent UTI's) would i get a "fit note" or a "sick note" to send to my work place ??    >doh<

Sofie

« Reply #6 on: 06 Aug 2012 08:55PM »
Fit note. Some do still call it a sick note, med cert (medical certificate) or a fit note.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 06 Aug 2012 09:00PM »
Cripes !!!

Things have changed !!

JLRRAC

« Reply #8 on: 06 Aug 2012 09:07PM »
The term 'fit note' was just one of the little brain washing ideas to come out of this government, they want to convince everyone that disabilities no longer exist. Just ask Chris Grayling, "I'm sure every disabled person is capable of doing some form of work" or words to that effect.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 06 Aug 2012 09:11PM »
It's the stupidest, most contradictory phrase they've come up with yet  >doh<

Sofie

« Reply #10 on: 06 Aug 2012 09:12PM »
But on the other hand, fit notes are good for those who can work but can't do certain duties / need reasonable adjustments.

JLRRAC

« Reply #11 on: 06 Aug 2012 09:15PM »
I guess it came from the States, like think yourself fit, be positive don't talk in the negative indeed banish such thoughts of inability from your mind and those missing legs will reappear the b;lind will see and I won't be as daft as I once was.....on the other hand..

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #12 on: 07 Aug 2012 07:50PM »
When I was recovering from my broken arm & wanted another 2 weeks off cos I knew I couldn't cope with the stress the GP said no & gave me a note that said I was "fit for light duties, no lifting or carrying"   I could have screamed as my job is in an office - I do have to go to 4 different offices often 2 in the same day carrying a bag which can weight up to 12llbs but my main worry was fatigue.   If your tierd and sore you can't concentrate enough to make decent decisions re folks benefits but I had to back anyway - needless to say I was back for a week before I went off again for another 2 weeks then came back feeling a bit better.

Yes you might be "fit" but can you really do your job  >erm< Im not sure
Monic

devine63

« Reply #13 on: 07 Aug 2012 08:21PM »
Hi

"
So, if I needed 2 weeks of from work due to a UTI (I get frequent UTI's) would i get a "fit note" or a "sick note" to send to my work place ??    >doh<"

You would get a Fit note and on it your doctor would EITHER write / tick  "unfit for work until  ...[insert date] ...."   or   the doctor would indicate which duties you were and were not fit for 

regards, Deb