Author Topic: Heatwave on the way. . .  (Read 16906 times)

Prabhakari

Heatwave on the way. . .
« on: 11 Jul 2012 01:30AM »
The Olympic organisers are preparing for heavy rain.
They are providing thousands of ponchos.

There will now be scorching dry weather over London.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Fizzbw

Re: Heatwave on the way. . .
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2012 11:00AM »
Oh I do hope so! I need hay for my horses and it's not been able to be cut as yet!! Maybe the ponchos will swing the jet stream into it's normal place....

Fizzbw xx

chelseaguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2012 05:10PM »
They may be providing them,but they are charging for them!

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2012 05:18PM »
I dont want a heat wave, but a bit of blue sky wouldnt go amiss. Overcast dull cloudy wet and chilly days do nothing for my mood or my pain levels.

Pentesalie

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2012 05:25PM »
One can but hope! The humidity here is so bad that I've bought a de-humidifier to try dry the place out and help the asthma.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2012 05:32PM »
Its actually been quite a nice sunny day here in Dorset despite the rather wet forecast. A bit breezy but not cold. Main road west still cut off by the floods though.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2012 05:43PM »
We've had an improvement in Somerset as well - just a single shower early morning, and then some more substantial sightings of the big yellow thing between dark cloud masses...

Danslatete, I'm with you on actual heatwaves - I don't cope very well with high temperatures (though this can be an advantage in the winter when my central heating bill is less than everyone else's  >biggrin< )  The wind gets on my whatnots as well. 

Pen, I hope your muggy spell leaves you soon - humid heat is the worst of all...

Sofie

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2012 05:56PM »
We've had an improvement in Somerset as well - just a single shower early morning, and then some more substantial sightings of the big yellow thing between dark cloud masses...

We had that in Plymouth. We were going to go to the zoo today; but it was raining on and off. :-(

Yvette

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2012 06:50PM »
Despite all the rain, the weather in Bristol is so humid my carrots (last week and this week) turned mouldy.

Before there is a slew of posts telling me how to keep carrots - I have tried a couple of methods.  Firstly, I always take them out of the plastic bag (the fruit and veg shop in the village closed down so I have to buy in a supermarket) and have tried keeping them in the fridge and out of the fridge.  Both methods result in mouldy carrots.

I've looked on the internet which states you need to wash supermarket carrots/ cut the tops off and keep them in water in a plastic tub in the fridge/roll them in paper towels etc etc.

Next week I just shalln't buy carrots as I can't be bothered with the faff of trying numerous methods to keep them mould free.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2012 06:57PM »
Sunny day near Manchester, warm & a bit breezy.

Prabhakari

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2012 10:51PM »
Don't worry.
The heatwave will only happen on the Olympic site.   >biggrin<

I always know when the humidity levels are up. My wheelchair tyres squeal. It is a noise I could do without, in the early hours of the morning, when others are asleep. I wonder if the noise will wake people up.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2012 10:53PM by Prabhakari »
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2012 12:15AM »
It is April here.

But I have casted a clout.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2012 10:53AM »
I don't know if its me getting older but I find supermarket carrots pretty tasteless. I like raw carrot but these seem pappy. Even those from stalls seem little better.

I guess its just what farmers grow these days. Can't be fagged to grow my own and defend against slugs and carrot fly.

Just have to put up with frozen. Not much more tasty but at least they keep.

Back to the heatwave, well some sun this morning, but clouding over fast. Car is in for service and MOT so I hope its not too wet when I have catch a couple of buses to pick it up. Its a hard life.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2012 11:37AM »
Yvette, the rolling of dry carrots in kitchen paper towel (and then keeping in the fridge) has always worked for me - I don't cut the tops off or wash them first though, as to my mind that would create extra moisture which would then lead to faster rotting.

Started raining here around 10:30 am.  Supposed to be settling in for the remainder of the day.  Oh well, I'll just think of those reservoirs being nicely topped up....

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2012 12:14PM »
I notice there has been flooding in Somerset which I believe is your neck of the woods Kizzy. hope you are not affected.