Author Topic: 196 days  (Read 10260 times)

Yvette

Re: 196 days
« Reply #45 on: 03 Oct 2012 08:42AM »
Is it possible to arrange something for christmas eve/boxing day/a day that week or new years with your neighbour eg going somewhere she can take her dog for a picnic, she won't feel like you don't care then

She wouldn't bring the dog on a picnic because he is her baby (although he is only eighteen months old he is extremely overweight because she is always giving him treats despite being told not to by the vet) and she would be petrified his harness would slip and he would run off.  She hasn't trained him so he wouldn't return on command and neither of us could go after him. She won't put a collar on him in case it hurts his neck. He slipped off his harness once before (because she would only put it on him loosely in case it was too tight for  him) when I persuaded her to bring him out with us and she refuses to take him out again.

She wouldn't go on a picnic in the middle of winter anyway, as she likes her home comforts, so perhaps it is a good idea to invite her as she would never come!!

I could invite my friend and her husband round after Christmas.  If I have been out on Christmas Day I'll need a couple of days in bed to recuperate.  My other friend spends a lot of time with her mother as she is elderly and would have to catch two buses to get to me or pay for a taxi, but I'll invite her round too after Christmas.  Before is not practical as everyone is in such a rush to get everything finished.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: 03 Oct 2012 01:40PM »
I agree with your last point, Yvette. Besides, it is always nice to have something to look forward to in the days after Christmas!

Noisyworld

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: 06 Oct 2012 01:34AM »
Hi Yvette, I hadn't realised quite how serious the issues were. Me- >doh<
Those were the only suggestions I could think of, I hope you find a suitable way to get through it all  >hugs< :)

Yvette

« Reply #48 on: 06 Oct 2012 09:31AM »
Thanks NoisyWorld. It was very kind of you.   >hugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #49 on: 06 Oct 2012 07:34PM »
I once belonged to a social club that always had a meal and a party on Christmas Day.  Just imagine, a gathering of single people, none of whom knew each other, some of whom had depression and anxiety that was not under control.  These events were sometimes very hard work: after all on Christmas day you are supposed to be jolly.  It depended on who I happened to sit next to as to how I felt afterwards.

Yvette

« Reply #50 on: 07 Oct 2012 10:04AM »
These events were sometimes very hard work: after all on Christmas day you are supposed to be jolly.  It depended on who I happened to sit next to as to how I felt afterwards.

That is why I will not be going to a free Christmas lunch at a big church a few miles away.   It could work out wonderfulyl or it could end in disaster by making me feel upset and miserable.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: 07 Oct 2012 08:38PM »
Yes, Yvette, I am not going to the Salvation Army lunch this year either.  It so depends upon who you get to talk to.  Although I will miss the silver band.  The other local church only reheats frozen food and the one time I went I did not think it was worth eating.

We will have to have another virtual Christmas meal ourselves then.

Yvette

« Reply #52 on: 08 Oct 2012 08:10AM »
I would love to have a virtual Christmas dinner with you Auntie.  >biggrin<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #53 on: 08 Oct 2012 06:12PM »
Yea!
Anyone else coming to dinner with Yvette and me?

All are welcome.  Maybe if we each prepare one course (including crackers and silly hats) it will take much of the burden of preparation away.  Can I offer to decorate the tree as I am not a good cook?

Yvette

« Reply #54 on: 09 Oct 2012 07:56AM »
I don't wish to rain on your parade Auntie, but I have a tree already decorated.

I have been collecting glass ornaments for thirty five years and have had to keep buying larger trees.  I haven't had the energy to decorate it for a few years, but here is a photo of it in all its glory.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #55 on: 09 Oct 2012 10:01PM »
OOoooo luverly!

I just adore glass baubles.  I have loads and loads of them.  Each year, well the years when I can summon up the energy, I have a different colour theme to my tree.  But the clear glass ones go with everything.

How do you store your tree without breaking all the glass?

Yvette

« Reply #56 on: 10 Oct 2012 09:43PM »
With help from my cleaner, each individual bauble is taken off the tree, well wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in large plastic storage boxes. 

The bottom of each box has a thick layer of bubble of wrap placed in it before any wrapped baubles go in and each layer of wrapped baubles has another layer of bubble wrap laid across it.  Ending with another layer of bubble wrap on the top of each box.

I try to store baubles in size order as it makes it much easier when decorating the tree.

The tree itself comes apart and is stored in its own large bag.

I know I won't have enough energy this year to decorate the  tree, so I'll display my two (or it might be three?) differently sized Thomas Kinkade Nativity trees. 

I always have a Nativity scene.  It is  very important to me.

Yvette

« Reply #57 on: 11 Oct 2012 09:40AM »
I was in town yesterday and there was lots of Christmassy stuff about.  But fortunately no Christmas muzac.

I love Christmas carols and music but not in shops!   >angry<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #58 on: 11 Oct 2012 12:15PM »
Apparently we're not going to have any overhead Christmas lights this year - normally strung across the town centre roads - because the council can't afford it.  Bah humbug!  >thumbsdown<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #59 on: 11 Oct 2012 07:24PM »
Ah Yvette, I somehow thought that you left them up on the tree all the time.  silly me.