Author Topic: Wearing a face covering in public  (Read 2495 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Wearing a face covering in public
« Reply #45 on: 29 Nov 2021 05:57AM »
Masks are mandatory in communal areas in secondary schools from today. Apparently some schools reversed the government's decision to no longer ask pupils and staff to wear them a couple of months ago due to their own concerns about the rising numbers but of course they wouldn't have had the law to back them up if people refused to comply but now they all have to. Children are the super spreaders as most get no symptoms and they get much closer to their friends than adults do in their workplaces so I think masks should have remained mandatory in schools and not stopped being so in July. I think numbers would have been lower with secondary age children remaining masked.

I went to church yesterday and we wear masks in and out of the building but during the service we remove them. I was feeling naff due to pain and fatigue and someone noticed me crying during the service and she came over with another lady and they prayed over me during a song. Nice though the gesture was, neither of them were masked and as they wanted the prayer to be heard only by me they leaned in and both their faces were by mine and I could feel their breath on my face with every word they spoke and I felt really uneasy. Looking back on it now, I could have taken my mask out of my pocket and put it back on which might have reminded them of the dangers and they may have allowed me some more space even if they hadn't fetched their own masks over. I wasn't quick enough to think of that. I'm going to be counting the 5 days incubation period out now because this is the first situation that I have been in since the start of the pandemic when I felt at risk contact wise. I'm continuing my daily high dose vitamin C, zinc, echinacea and multivitamin.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: 29 Nov 2021 12:30PM »
Yes, people getting close is scary even when they do it to be helpful.

I like the putting your mask on to make a point idea.

I'd thought I'd found a way to get strangers to back off when they get too close, but it wouldn't work with people who are genuinely trying to help.  I've probably mentioned it - it came to me suddenly at a supermarket checkout when a man behind me kept getting uncomfortably close virus-wise.

I made a point of gripping my bag tightly and looking at his hands.  Then as I saw his hands move and a slight change of facial expression, I said "Sorry - I've just had my pocket picked or my purse grabbed once too often, so I'm a bit wary."  He backed off.  He didn't mind being seen to get too close during a pandemic but didn't want to be thought of as a thief, probably because of the time and hassle he thought there'd be if I'd made an accusation and security had got involved.

I wonder what would work with kind people as well as putting a mask on.  I shall be pondering.   
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #47 on: 29 Nov 2021 04:56PM »
Popped into Screwfix today for an essential item. Customers and staff not wearing masks. It's not mandatory until tomorrow and they could be exempt but something tells me less people will be complying with the new mask rules.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #48 on: 29 Nov 2021 05:14PM »
There seems to be some evidence that people are more likely to wear masks if it's seen to be the social norm.   For instance, someone interviewed lots of people on the London underground that weren't wearing masks and asked why and quite a few referred to ministers not wearing them.  Several said they'd like to wear one but they'd feel awkward when so many people weren't.

So I suppose in each area there's a social tipping point.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #49 on: 29 Nov 2021 06:46PM »
My area isn't too bad normally. I think in this incidence, it's the store's clientele. Workman generally, and they are probably in work mode and aren't thinking of or worried about masks. I doubt places like that would bother to challenge the customers either. Hopefully I won't need to return there anytime soon and I wore a mask and gelled my hands in my car.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #50 on: 01 Dec 2021 09:33AM »
John Crace is a political sketch writer for The Guardian.
Here is his latest offering:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/30/for-boris-everything-will-always-turn-out-for-the-best-until-it-doesnt

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #51 on: 01 Dec 2021 10:46AM »
That was so well written  :thumbsup:

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #52 on: 01 Dec 2021 11:09AM »
I like his writing a lot. I always try to read them when they are published.
Another Guardian political sketch writer to watch out for is Marina Hyde. I really like her writing style; it makes me giggle :f_laugh:

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #53 on: 01 Dec 2021 11:12AM »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #54 on: 01 Dec 2021 11:20AM »
That was also superbly written. You just can't argue with either writer's points and logic.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #55 on: 02 Dec 2021 05:11PM »
I have two of my children and their families visiting me the weekend before Christmas and I plan to make a tikka curry and rice meal as it means it can be prepared well in advance  and I can maximise the amount of time with the family. I haven't made an authentic from scratch curry in years so needed fresh spices so today drove into the city to the area densely populated by the Asian community (and the red light district) and went into the Asian supermarket to buy the spices. The shop was busy with lots of customers and some staff. Not a single one wearing a mask. Maybe the Asians aren't bothered? They can't all be exempt?

I wore my mask and gelled my hands so did all that I could but I am glad I only shop there every few years!

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: 02 Dec 2021 05:41PM »
Like you, I live somewhere where to some extent, different sorts of people are clustered together, and I'm thinking of two shopping areas with a lot of South Asians.

I found myself wondering whether the traditions and/or controversies around face veils are relevant at all?  Those from religious groups where the women don't wear veils not wanting to be associated with those that do, and men not wanting to be associated with women's attire?  It wouldn't have to be a high proportion of the relevant population to have an impact, given the research suggesting that a significant factor in whether people do or don't wear a mask is what's the perceived norm where they are.

As I type that, I think there's quite a strong contrast between behaviour in the two areas, both as regards crowding and as regards mask-wearing.  I wonder whether there are any factors such as influential religious leaders and/or community leaders?    I know that in one of the areas, some of the local doctors and leaders have been very active over the years in promoting good health.

I'm now curious as to the factors like religions, religious denominations, predominant regional backgrounds etc.

But then I note that there are also differences between different high streets depending in part on things like social class etc.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #57 on: 09 Dec 2021 02:11PM »
More about social distancing than face coverings. The restrictions have increased and the last time they were this high there was an isolation volunteer group and I used them to collect my medications from the chemist so today was a trial.

I had a face to face appointment with my GP today and my fatigue is extreme currently and I almost changed the appointment to a phone consult but I am completely out of Buprenorphine patches and a day or so away from essential meds so I forced myself there. I was beyond tired (forcing myself not to cry) as I approached the chemist and could see a queue of customers outside the chemist. Customers queuing told me only 2 customers were allowed inside. At first I knew that I couldn't cope with the pain of standing plus was too fatigued so turned away to come home but was desperate for meds so turned back. It's impossible for me to stand and queue so I explained to the ladies in the queue that I have spine issues and cannot stand due to pain and would need to sit inside but that I knew that I was behind them in the queue and would wait my turn. It's a deep narrow store with a central aisle. There are 2 chairs facing the till that back onto the end of the central aisle and 2 chairs at the side also at the front of the store backed onto shelving. There are also 2 chairs at the back of the store by the door. I sat on the chair at the back of the store that was furthest from the doorway. Everyone was in masks. As the store assistant approached me the 2 ladies at the front of the queue outside came inside, I think the first lady could see the customer at the till was being served and would soon turn and exit the store and the second lady was clearly panicking that I was jumping the queue. I explained to the store assistant my spine issues and pain and showed her my sunflower lanyard and explanation tag and she said in an annoyed tone "I have illnesses too you know" then when one of the 2 ladies coming in said it was impossible to see how many people were in the store from outside, the shop assistant pointed to the sign saying only 2 customers inside at any one time and said "I get in trouble when this rule is broken but you (she points at me) and you (she points at the 2 ladies) just do what you like and take no notice". I struggled not to cry.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2021 02:26PM by Fiz »

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #58 on: 09 Dec 2021 02:46PM »
What a horrible experience.

:big_hugs:

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #59 on: 11 Dec 2021 12:10PM »
Wavering slightly off topic again, I am part of an interview panel next week interviewing a psychologist for a post within the PCN. It occurred to me that we will all be in masks and how ideally I would have liked to see their facial expressions to ascertain their empathy and understanding skills and how I think this is a real hindrance to being able to do that.