Author Topic: I've worn myself out!  (Read 215 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
I've worn myself out!
« on: 09 Aug 2021 12:31PM »
Last week my husband and I were on grandparent duty for my son and daughter in. My daughter in law is heavily pregnant and it is a very complicated, risky pregnancy which nobody could have predicted. She is due to go into hospital tomorrow for major surgery for delivery 6 weeks early as this is the best time to ensure the welfare of both mum and baby   :xfingers:

So every morning last week we arrived early at their house as they live very close,  and taught the grandchildren how to cook! We told them they were responsible for cooking the evening meal and a pudding, and they were so excited. They're both under 10, and we had so much fun  :biggrin:  I bought them special aprons and they felt very grown up! 

We also played lots of games, did craft activities, played in the garden, and at the end of each day I came home sore, aching, and  knackered.  But very happy. I was pleased that my daughter in law could get to all her hospital appointments without having to worry, and she spent the week getting herself ready for the baby and resting whilst our son could continue working. 

This week is definitely a week of recovery. I'm shattered but it was so worthwhile. I absolutely love spending time with the children and they grow up so quickly this time is precious. I'm more than happy to put up with temporary increases in pain and tiredness to help out when I know I can rest afterwards. 
I'm sure other people use similar strategies when they have events or something they want to do. It's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons of the situation and deciding if the pain and fatigue are worth it.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: I've worn myself out!
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2021 04:46PM »
It's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons of the situation and deciding if the pain and fatigue are worth it.
Sums it up nicely, but it can be a very difficult task sometimes.  It sounds like you got it right.

I'm glad you mentioned not just how much you enjoyed your grandchildren's company but their evident enjoyment of yours.

It was only last year that it dawned on me that when I was a child, the old woman next door enjoyed my company.  I thought how both my grandmothers evidently enjoyed my company.  That matters to me when I spend time with children of near neighbours.

So when you speak of enjoying your children's company and also of them enjoying yours, you're not just helping you and them, you're helping others like me to remember that children can enjoy grown-ups' company.  An extra benefit from what you've been doing.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2021 07:47PM »
Thank you for saying that Sunny. It made me reflect on my own childhood and the adult influences I had within it. My parents had quite a dysfunctional relationship and both sets of grandparents were very significant parts of my life. Other kind aunts, friends and extended family equally helped me when I was young. I have many fond memories of time spent with these people.

If I'm able to make my grandchildren feel loved, secure, and cherished, and their company valued and enjoyed then that is all I want for them. All children deserve this.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2021 07:49PM by ditchdwellers »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2021 04:30PM »
They do. It sounds a lovely few days DD and I hope that you feel physically recovered now.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2021 06:03PM »
I'm more than happy to put up with temporary increases in pain and tiredness to help out when I know I can rest afterwards.
Yes, definitely be fully aware, and respectful, of your own limitations and don't push yourself too hard, even when your head might be saying, 'oh I ought to do more' - we have to really pace ourselves so as not to pay too much after the event, don't we?

From what you've written here, IMO your grandchildren are as fortunate to have you as you are to have them  :thumbsup: