Author Topic: Having trouble hearing a name  (Read 231 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Having trouble hearing a name
« on: 24 Jul 2021 04:28PM »
I keep hearing mention in the news of a powerful demonic character that harms people but I'm struggling to hear the name right.  It seems to be Preta Patel.

Well obviously, I know that I've heard Preta right, because it's a demonic monster from the afterlife or underworld, but the thing that puzzles me is why would a preta have an ordinary surname?  Surely the monster's name must be something else?

I know that the name Patel has its historical roots in land ownership (perhaps think like our word 'landed' e.g. in 'landed gentry') so etymologically it would make sense for a Patel to be a bit 'this is my land, go away' orientated, which would map onto this character's behaviour, but I'd always seen the name has having become a general one detached from its original meaning, like Smith or Baker.

Mind you, to my embarassment, for a long time, I thought the monster's name was Priti Patel, but why would a monster like that have a first name that means 'love'?

I realise the linguistics are probably of less concern than the damage this monster is doing to people, but if a deafie like me can't ask about this on a disability site, where can I?
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2021 12:16AM by Sunny Clouds »
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Having trouble hearing a name
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2021 08:10PM »
(Yes, I'm norty.)
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2021 06:19PM »
Is the heat getting to you, Sunny? :f_whistle:

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2021 08:49PM »
Well I'm certainly getting hot under the collar about certain people with certain attitudes.

Still, it's hot weather, so I can blame it on that.