Author Topic: Thinking of you all  (Read 3627 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Thinking of you all
« on: 16 Mar 2021 07:42PM »
Although I haven't been posting, I have been thinking of you all and hoping you're ok.

I still don't quite understand the not secure stuff or whatever it is with the padlock warning, but I don't use the same password here as anywhere else, so maybe that's ok?

Anyway, lots of love to you all.

I'm struggling with stuff at the moment, both on the personal front, trying to sort out stuff to do with family and probate, and doing my usual doom-and-gloom about politics, but I've some lovely neighbours, which cheers me up. 

As I've said to various people in shops, I've been missing my barn dancing but 'socially distanced shopping' is almost as good as we swirl round one another in the aisles and doorways, a sort of 1.5m do-si-do.

:big_hugs:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

Re: Thinking of you all
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2021 07:52PM »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2021 12:44PM »
Sunny Clouds,

It is lovely to see you here and posting. 

I hope you are able to find a way through your current struggles. Family and probate can be so tough to deal with, it is important that you stand up for yourself whenever possible.

He he we did country dancing at school when I was 11 there was something about having a partner holding me and knowing the steps we were going to be doing that meant CP did not stop me 'floating' through the air.  I have not been out and about so not been part of the social distancing do-si-do. It might be similar to the one that people do when there is a wheelchair in the cereal aisle at Tesco's.

The Ouch Too website did not have a SSL Certificate for a while but the recent Go Fund me has meant the certificate is now affordable so we have one. The padlock indicates that the website is secure and means that security software won't be flagging it up as maybe unsafe. The rules and aims for the site have become more relaxed and people are just going with the flow. Maybe like the family people find when their own family is less than hmmm good.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2021 06:55PM »
Wotcha Sunny, been wondering where you were...

....'socially distanced shopping' is almost as good as we swirl round one another in the aisles and doorways, a sort of 1.5m do-si-do.
:f_laugh:  yeah, it's just like that!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2021 10:02PM »
The barn dancing I went to for a year before lockdown is very flexible and so long as you have a certain amount of  movement, you can do it.  There was one man with dementia and we used to sort of steer him round between us.

Early in lockdown, I was going out once a week to the shops and/or pharmacy, then once to near a neighbour's house where he was doing a weekly gig on some open space.  Lots of neighbours, all socially spaced.  Then in the autumn, he moved it to zoom.

I've been going out more over the winter, not least because I still haven't got it together to buy a new washing machine, which broke down about a year ago now, so in the colder months, I started using the local launderette once a fortnight.  I also started eating biscuits, which I'd previously given up, and sometimes went out in the evening to buy more.

I've got so much stuff I haven't done.  So much time spent on my computer, blotting out the depression by playing games (easy ones like sudoku, codewords, jigsaws) vaguely listening to news or music on Youtube.  I eat biscuits and pick my skin (my dermatillomania goes back to childhood and is currently attacking my hands, or rather I'm currently attacking them).

I've been posting on an Archers messageboard I go on, where there's a general discussion area, but it gets too politically stressful for me and three times in the last year I've taken a break from the board. 

I think I should be going out in the fresh air more and I'm not.  I feel for all those that are not going out, either because they can't or because they'd be unwise to.  At least for me, it's a choice, albeit because of not coping mentally.

I wonder whether you all realise how much difference you've collectively made to my life over the years.  I'd  never have coped with the worst of my ataxia before it went into remission without you lot.  Even seemingly little things like telling me about double tap falls (i.e. what was happening to me didn't just happen to me and had a name), and before that, when my vision got appalling, telling me about ambutec canes with rover wheels and pointing me to the RNIB who helped me.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2021 09:30AM »
Hi Sunny,

It's lovely to see you again. I've been away for a long time and just found my way recently to this wonderful community. 
I always remember your solid, thoughtful advice and contributions to discussions. You talk about how much you gained from being part of this community,  however I always remember you giving far more than taking. 

Dancing in all it's forms, is just brilliant!  I met my husband Morris dancing. Our eyes met over a slurp of ale and a jingle of bells, and the rest is history   :heart:
Sadly we both gave up dancing after my final dance ended up with me dislocating my knee cap (again) down a rabbit hole on top of a hill at sundown one summer solstice. Typical  :biggrin:
We do miss it though. Still got all our kit.

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2021 08:23AM »
Good morning everyone, Sunny regarding your washing machine being replaced I can only think to suggest you contact your energy supplier to ask if they are part of the 'White goods scheme'  where energy suppliers provide (at no cost) things like fridges/freezers, cookers and washing machines to qualifying customers. This is a scheme I've mentioned before here on Ouch and recently ended up with a new under-counter freezer and a fridge.

DD, I'm sorry to hear about your knee cap dislocating again, I know just how painful this dislocation can be. Is it something that has been happening to you regularly and do you like me get no warning of it being about to happen?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2021 09:37PM »
My problem isn't being able to afford a machine thanks to my father dying, it's choosing one, plus a series of silly events. 

(Scroll on by the details if you're not in the mood for a washing machine saga.)

I dithered, then finally chose one but wanted to look in the shop, but lockdown happened.  So I dithered then thought maybe buy secondhand and found a cheap one as a stop-gap then spare, only to realise I needed transport and I didn't know how to buy off gumtree...

I kept dithering then thought how I love my old machine and called a local, very long-established repair company who sent someone out for £60.  It took him maybe 5 min at most to tell me the machine couldn't be repaired.  If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have realised that a replacement motor for that model would no longer be available because the machine is around 15 years old, and that he'd have known that before coming out.  He told me if I bought a machine from his shop, I'd get free delivery and they price-match.

I went to the shop and got very uncomfortable hard-sell for a machine for £450.  I noted the number of the machine I was being pushed to buy, went home and checked online the prices in various shops.  None were selling that model for more than £299.  That includes shops that sell in-store, not just online shops like AO.

I dithered then thought I'd buy the one I'd first chosen.  Nope, sold out, couldn't find it elsewhere.  Settle for a similar model?  Hang on, credit card expired, why no new one?  Reported it lost.  Bank sent out replacement signed for, Royal Mail returned it marked 'no longer at this address'.  What?!

Finally, after several weeks, I got a new credit card but I'd run out of emotional strength.

The problem is that I want a machine that's white (no big black ring round the front) and one I can use without being able to see the digital display, just the knobs and buttons.  I don't mind if it's freestanding or integrated (i.e. with hinges for cupboard doors).  There are some brands I won't touch.

I've decided to ask neighbours to search for me and come up with a list of about 8-12. 

The display thing may seem daft, but my 'night vision' is fading a bit again.  I think it may be to do with my cataracts, which seem to be growing fast, although the clouds of debris from my vitreous detachments don't help.  So I might be able to see a display now, but I don't want a machine that could be useless in two or three years.

JLR2

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2021 07:13AM »
Morning sunny, I have an idea of what you are going through regarding choosing a washing machine. I was going to recommend the machine I have, a Spanish built Bosch, but thought I'd have a quick look on the web to see what the current prices are for the one I have. Having done my search I ended up reading about some of the experiences of others who have bought the same machine as me and to be honest had I read these experiences before I bought my machine I would probably not have bought it.

That said my machine has been and is working fine with no issues that I have noticed but, and yes I guess there's always a but, I fear this might be down to my not using my machine as much as many who perhaps have a family wash to do every week so it might be that the regular washing I have done have not been straining the machine, particularly the drum bearings which appear to be one of the main problems other owners have mentioned. The weight capacity of my machine is 8kg and with my being one my own it's not likely for me to be needing to use that capacity, certainly not on a weekly basis.

The washing machine I miss most is the old Hoover twin tub I had, just filled it from my hot water tap and off it went. My old twin tub was from the era of metal based bodies for twin tubs rather than what I found was available when I was looking for a new machine. All the twin tubs I managed to find were plastic bodied and intended, it seems, for camping motor home/caravan type settings.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help with your search for a new machine, on the bright side today here in the Highlands it's now raining......yet :f_smiley:

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2021 09:02PM »
That's cheating using rain instead of a washing machine.   :f_whistle:

JLR2

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2021 07:47AM »
Awe come oan, it save using the rinse feature :f_laugh:

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2021 06:01AM »
Lovely to see you Sunny! 

I could probably count on one hand the amount of happy memories in my childhood but one of them was of going to a barn dance with my Mum. It was in a large barn on a farm and we sat on hay bales around the edge of the barn when resting between dances. I must have been about 10, I absolutely loved it. 

Sorry to hear about the washing machine saga the most unpleasant bit is the local dealer taking you for a ride especially. If ever I buy an appliance I buy from John Lewis and get them to install it. With them their reputation matters and they have on a few occasions repaired appliances free of charge despite them being officially out of warranty. Twice they replaced things with brand new items despite being out of warranty. As a not very hands on female I feel reassured that they have my back. If they could just pop out and clean my oven for me that'd be great!

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2021 08:00PM »
It was a machine in John Lewis that I liked and that they sold out of.  It was expensive, but it was a Bosch.  The one I've got that died was a Bosch. 

I'm dithering horribly about so much.

As for being taken for a ride, I've got a big emotional crisis these days over trusting professionals, tradesmen, utility companies, public services etc.

Over the years, I have been ripped off, cheated, let down, lied to or whatever by...

...solicitors, plumbers, builders, roofers, joiners, gutter & window cleaners, boiler/heating service people, alarm companies, fuel companies, cable/telephone companies, electrical repairmen, landlords, police, some council departments, DWP & contractors, HMRC etc.

I had a right royal saga with banks and building societies using my power of attorney when Dad had dementia, then after he died.  Banks in a pickle, banks doing daft things, banks losing documents etc.  I have just plucked up courage to open another account at a different bank (to deal with more of Dad's estate) and had a telephone appointment for today.  I didn't receive the call.  After an hour or so, I telephoned the call centre who said they'd send an internal email.  Still nothing.  I'm still intermittently crying.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2021 09:41PM »
That's cheered me up no end.

Incidentally, for most of last year, I was hand-washing before starting to use a local launderette.  Each week, I grumbled a bit as I squeezed the water out of my laundry.  Not having a washing machine is one thing, but oh for a mangle!  Things dry so quickly when they've been put through the mangle, and with a bit of practice, they come out almost as if you'd ironed them as well.

Being without a machine but being able to afford a launderette reminds me of the days when if you were on the dole or on the sick and you were getting income support, you could get a laundry allowance if you didn't have a bath or big sink to wash sheets etc.  Could you imagine the last few governments, New Labour, Coalition, Tory providing that?  I'm going to the launderette once a fortnight with two batches, one pale and one dark, £4 each batch for washing.  That doesn't include soap or drying.  If you've enough money, it's nothing and I'm ok for it these days.  There were times when I wasn't and I know that all around me there are people that aren't.  With every trip to the launderette I tell myself to remember how lucky I am.  A lot of the time, I'm too depressed to hold onto the thought, so things like that help.

Incidentally, sorry I'm still long-winded as ever, but you all know it's ok to scroll on by.