Author Topic: Motorised mobility trike  (Read 1001 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Motorised mobility trike
« on: 18 Jul 2020 08:12AM »
I know that I have talked wheelchairs before but I am seriously considering investing in a motorised trike so that I can exercise my dog over rough field and park areas. Not only do I have the spine issues but now I have extreme fatigue and I think being able to take my dog somewhere nice would really boost my mental health. 

For it's first year it would be being used from my house only so would need a fair length battery life. My motability vehicle will be due for replacement in September 2021 and I would then be looking at choosing a vehicle that can lift the trike in and out of it so that I can do so much more. 

Any advice appreciated.

Sunshine

Re: Motorised mobility trike
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2020 11:53AM »
It really depends on how much you have to spend and what you can lift. For me having a Team Hybrid Cougar rebuild put on my old Powertrike worked well so i would say the Viper wheelchair attachment is worth a look. It is £3000 new https://www.teamhybrid.co.uk/product/viper-sport-power-cycle/, and you would need a rigid wheelchair to attach it to. I already had the chair which I got using a wheelchair voucher combined with some of my cash money to get a Bromakin Titanium lightweight chair. The wheelchair is markedly heavier once the attachment port for the Viper is fitted, but I was able to manage it on my own on and off for several years. I used to get offers of help from random people in car parks some who were able to help and others that got the Viper in the boot badly hmmm. It was nice to have someone trying to help though.

I dont know much about trikes or scooters but have looked into the options from time to time and the scooters that can cope better in the countryside  cant be just lifted into a boot, this means a wheelchair accessible vehicle is needed.

I few years back I had to cut my motability contract short because Bran gre big quickly and there was not room in that car for three dogs, two humans, a wheelchair and Viper attachment. We now have a Citreon Berlingo.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2020 12:46PM »

I few years back I had to cut my motability contract short because Bran gre big quickly and there was not room in that car for three dogs, two humans, a wheelchair and Viper attachment. We now have a Citreon Berlingo.

Sorry but I couldn't help it:-

Sunshine

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2020 12:20PM »
Lankou,

He he  >biggrin<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2020 07:36AM »
It really depends on how much you have to spend and what you can lift. For me having a Team Hybrid Cougar rebuild put on my old Powertrike worked well so i would say the Viper wheelchair attachment is worth a look. It is £3000 new https://www.teamhybrid.co.uk/product/viper-sport-power-cycle/, and you would need a rigid wheelchair to attach it to. I already had the chair which I got using a wheelchair voucher combined with some of my cash money to get a Bromakin Titanium lightweight chair. The wheelchair is markedly heavier once the attachment port for the Viper is fitted, but I was able to manage it on my own on and off for several years. I used to get offers of help from random people in car parks some who were able to help and others that got the Viper in the boot badly hmmm. It was nice to have someone trying to help though.

I dont know much about trikes or scooters but have looked into the options from time to time and the scooters that can cope better in the countryside  cant be just lifted into a boot, this means a wheelchair accessible vehicle is needed.

Thanks sunshine. I'm planning on raiding my pension fund, the investment meaning my quality of life is extended to be able to exercise my dog would be very beneficial.                                                                                    
I won't be able to lift it as I struggle to bend and lift shopping but if I can trek out from the house with the dog for a year then when I replace my motability vehicle I can choose a vehicle that could lift it in and out for me. I guess paying for the deposit on the new accessible vehicle will be another raid on the pension paying tax and fees but it's there for my needs in my opinion and even paying tax is me paying back into the system. 
The thought of being able to do so much more than I currently can is so exciting. I would need to store mine in a shed/container in the back garden probably unless it sat in my kitchen, is the battery removable to charge indoors?   My current wheelchair is foldable and I think that needs to be attached to a rigid one but to me the investment is needed.